Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Expert Opinions Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 06:00 PM
Leesa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Expert Opinions Needed!

What exhaust system would you have installed?

I need help with picking the right exhaust system for my ’98 GS400. There are too many systems to choose from and a lot of this techno mechanical info is over my head. My goal is to increase my HP.

I had the SRT High Flow Intake/ECU and the SRT Torque Converter installed a year ago.

With one of these exhaust systems, what will I loose at the low end? Does having the HFI/ECU intake help with that problem? How much will I notice vs. how much will I gain on the other side….how noticeable? Will it be worth it?

1. A'PEXi World Sport Exhaust: $700*
2. Blitz NUR-Spec Exhaust System: $600*
3. GReddy Power Extreme Exhaust: $650*
4. HKS Hiper Exhaust: $588*
5. Swift Racing Technologies - Borla Exhaust: $499*
6. Tanabe Hyper Medalion: $693.00*
* (Best sale price found to date)

Thanks,
~Leesa

GS400 1998 Exhaust System Info:

1. Blitz NUR-Spec Exhaust System:
Tip Dia 114.3mm & Pipe Dia 70mm (Dual Muffler/Rear Section Only). The Blitz NUR-Spec Exhaust system was inspired from the record setting Supra in Nurbrugring. There are two types of NUR-Spec Exhaust systems, the NUR-Spec-Stainless steel rear section only (except RX-7, full cat back), and the NUR-Spec R-mandrel bent stainless steel cat back system.

2. GReddy Power Extreme Exhaust: GReddy Performance Products Power Extreme Series Cat-Back Exhaust System,
The Power Extreme exhaust systems were developed for drivers who demand even more flow then the SP and MX systems. Due to the larger piping diameters these systems are recommended for modified street and race vehicles.

3. HKS Hiper Exhaust: HKS Exhaust System 120mm dia tip/ 60mm pipe (Dual Rear Sections). Inspired by and designed from the N-1 Endurance Race series in Japan, HKS has developed its Hiper exhaust systems for turbocharged and normally-aspirated vehicles. Like the Super Drager systems, each Hiper system is constructed using an unchambered (SUS 304) stainless steel muffler assembly, high-quality computerized welds and large diameter aluminized steel piping. However, unlike conventional exhaust systems, the Hiper muffler and tip features a unique offset mounting design that eliminates all unnecessary bends. This allows the straightest exhaust path for unrestricted flow. Two stainless exhaust tip configurations are available: 120mm and 96mm, depending on the application.

4. Tanabe Hyper Medalion: Tanabe Hyper Medalion Exhaust.
The HYPER MEDALION exhaust system is the ultimate style of a traditional straight structure with simple design for superb driving performance. In the pursuit of enhanced exhaust efficiency, TANABE incorporates a straight-through structure in the main muffler ( a concept cultivated from the motor sports arena as being short and straight) which can fit a wide range of applications from stock normally aspirated engines to full-race turbo motors. The circular sharp tip is available in 4.5 inch and 3.9 inch diameter depending on car application. The muffler and internal components are made of SUS304 stainless steel to resist rust and enhance durability. The HYPER MEDALION system offers years of enjoyment in a traditional style that will always appeal to the performance enthusiast.

5. Swift Racing Technologies - Borla Exhaust: The stock exhaust system in the Lexus GS series was specifically designed with comfort and quietness in mind. This made the car very quite and sound "wimpy". To overcome this problem Swift-Racing is proud to recommend the Borla Exhaust system for the GS series from Lexus. It is made from T-304 Stainless Steel and comes with Borla's "million mile" warranty. This Exhaust gives the car a much more aggressive look, yet keeping it classy at the same time. The sound is just amazing. It gives the car the deep sound of a V8 engine. Compared to the GReddy system the Borla system is much more quiet and the fit and finish are excellent. Borla claims a peak HP increase of 5-6HP. This the same exhaust used in the SRT +800HP Supercharged GS400.

6. A'PEXi World Sport Exhaust: The World Sports concept is A'PEX interpretation of how each vehicle's exhaust system should have looked and performed right from the factory. Designed with the daily driver in mind, this exhaust series focuses on drawing out mid-range torque and engine response for optimal drivability on the street. The styling is subtle and elegant, but still retains characteristics of its racing origin. The result is an affordable cat-back exhaust system that makes the daily commute more enjoyable.

Last edited by Leesa; 12-14-01 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-15-01, 10:43 AM
JacobT

All aftermarket exhaust systems are only good for 6-10 HP increase at high rpm and you may loose some HP at lower rpm. It won't be noticeable except the sound.

Just pick a good quality, good looking and sound goos one. Your GS will be standing out from the rest
Old 12-15-01, 11:48 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want power go with Blitz or GReddy. Choose the one you think looks better.
Old 12-15-01, 06:01 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default it is all in the angle and diameter

Leesa,

I agree with JacobT about the GS exhausts. On car exhausts power relies on factors such as diameter of piping and bend angles. On most of the GS systems the piping diameter fall within the 3" dia. range and bend angles are minimized unless you go for the JIC Bullet, C-One or Fujitsubo... these are catback Y-separation pipes. Unless you have forced induction the selection of your exhaust won't matter. Also, since you have a V8 I wouldn't worry about loosing anything in the low end... this is more of a problem for the 300 owners. I hope this helps.

BTW from your list I like the HKS dual Hiper system. Excellent bang for the buck with HKS quality and product support.
Old 12-16-01, 12:28 AM
Leesa
Driver School Candidate

v300

Are you referring to the JIC Bullet Twin Spartan Exhaust System at around $865?

I could not find out info on the C-One or Fujitsubo systems for the GS400.

What would be the HP increase with Y-separation pipes?

Thanks!

~Leesa
Old 12-16-01, 07:30 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have GReddy and i like it a lot, except it is pretty loud but i dont mind
Old 12-16-01, 10:32 AM
RacingAristo

Fujitsubo is the best exhaust system in my opinion. Was gonna get that but the price of APEX WS is too attractive (much lower than your price, Leesa).
Old 12-16-01, 12:42 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Leesa,

You're not going to find too much information about the Fujitsubo or C-One systems in the US unless you are willing to import directly from Japan. In regards to the Y-separation, the midpipe of these exhaust systems are in a shape of a Y and the mufflers connected to the midpipes installed look as though they are exiting 35degrees opposite direction. Because of this trait there is considerably less exhaust flow turbulence. Put it this way, you're only going to get probably an additional 2-3 horsepower at high RPM.