Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How do you drive (ECT wise)?
Always in Normal mode.
42.96%
Always in PWR mode.
26.06%
Always in SNOW mode.
1.41%
Switch between the three.
29.58%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Question: ECT PWR Mode and ECU "Driving Style Learning"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 07:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeye101
So you are saying that the snow mode kicks back to normal after a period of time?
No, snow mode resets every time you turn off the car.
Old 06-23-07, 07:37 AM
buckeye101
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Learn something new everyday! That makes sense, based on the switchology. When in the power mode, the switch has a full-time position. After pressing the snow mode, the switch falls back to the center position (but the dash tells you snow).
Old 06-23-07, 07:52 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PWR mode for all 8K miles in the IS350. Average 17 mpg period. I don’t spend much time in rush hour traffic. I drive the thing like it was meant to be driven. You don’t buy a 300 hp car and drive it in the most conservative MPG state. What’s the purpose? At that point go buy a Prius. I find an open freeway ramp and I’m gunning it. I rarely take the thing over 10 mph over the speed limit but I sure as hell get there fast most the time.
There were dudes on the Sti boards that talked like this. Why buy an Sti and then complain that it’s a rough ride???

OFFICIAL: Drive it like it’s meant to club!
Old 06-23-07, 12:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

None of those options really apply to me so I didn't vote... I rarely use SNOW mode, I tired using it during heavy traffic and it worked nicely, but I got tired of constatnly hitting the button when I wanted more immediate power. I USUALLY drive in Normal mode, but every once in a while switch to PWR.
Old 06-25-07, 08:23 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
ben, i know what your saying, if you leave it in pwr and drive conservatively will the ecu in pwr mode adjust to that... thats a good question. try call... service and ask... not like they'd know... but i myself think its a factory setting thats ROM, read only memory.

You leave it in pwr thou, your gonna be holding gears and even with your 250 your mileage will go down, i vote No.
I disagree on the gas mileage thing. I leave mine in power mode most of the time for regular driving, and in snow mode for stop and go traffic.

In power mode, I still get 31 mpg on the highway with the AC set at 75 degrees, and cruise control set at 75 mph on an extended trip of 280 miles.

The power/snow/regular switch appears to only be a throttle control.
Old 06-25-07, 08:57 PM
2IS250
Driver School Candidate

Default Performance

I tried using the PWR setting and got no difference in performance. Assuming you start from the beginning of the forum and select the second generation IS there was a topic there for exhaust. From my experience when I am in "S" mode and power on my intake, which is INJEN Short Ram, just PURRS. Currently I am in a transitional phase where I just can't wait for my HKS Hi Power Exhaust to come so I "cut out" my exhaust as we call it and unbolted the rear piping that includes both of my mufflers and now I always hold down my traction control button for 10 seconds and a "VDI" orange light appears on my dash under the orange car with trail marks. This car transforms into a beast. Extremely light in the front and heavy in the back. The car wants to pop a wheelie. This mode is for experienced drivers and it really changes the car. BEWARE.

THIS IS SHORT AND TO THE POINT. TAKE IN THE INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Last edited by 2IS250; 06-25-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 08:58 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power / Snow modes aren't just about throttle control. They change transmission control quite a bit. That is why economy is so heavily affected in the city, but not on the highway.
Old 06-25-07, 09:00 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2IS250
I tried using the PWR setting and got no difference in performance. Assuming you start from the beginning of the forum and select the second generation is there was a topic there for exhaust. From my experience when I am in "S" mode and power on my intake, which is INJEN Short Ram, just PURRS. Currently I am in a transitional phase where I just can't wait for my HKS Hi Power Exhaust to come so I "cut out" my exhaust as we call it and unbolted the rear piping that includes both of my mufflers and now I always hold down my traction control button for 10 seconds and a "VDI" orange light appears on my dash under the orange car with trail marks. This car transforms into a beast. Extremely light in the front and heavy in the back. The car wants to pop a wheelie. This mode is for experienced drivers and it really changes the car. BEWARE.

THIS IS SHORT AND TO THE POINT. TAKE IN THE INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

You get this experience from a 250!?

I'll have what he's having...
Old 06-25-07, 09:33 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
You get this experience from a 250!?

I'll have what he's having...
Me2 pass it over, then i could blow the doors off a toyota TF107. Ok thats not saying much since Jarno and Ralph seem to be sucking **** this season

SUPER AGURI GO GO
Old 06-26-07, 07:59 PM
andoy
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Me2 pass it over, then i could blow the doors off a toyota TF107. Ok thats not saying much since Jarno and Ralph seem to be sucking **** this season

SUPER AGURI GO GO

SUPER AGURI > Factory HONDA hehe
Old 07-08-07, 06:35 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

i had my battery disconected and i notticed a huge difference when i got the car back felt like it had much more power
Old 07-08-07, 06:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I am almost always in PWR mode. The only time I switch to normal mode is when I have passengers in the car, so its not as jerky when accelerating. I use snow mode only in excessive traffic, but rarely.
I agree with you!!! WELCOME TO IL...Snow mode is when traffic sucks or its snowing...there is no other way
Old 07-09-07, 10:57 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by buckeye101
So you are saying that the snow mode kicks back to normal after a period of time?
yes every time you turn off the car
Old 07-26-07, 05:20 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonviper
i had my battery disconected and i notticed a huge difference when i got the car back felt like it had much more power
The ECU probably got reset. Hence it is learning your driving style again.
Old 07-27-07, 02:48 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

I keep mine on Power all the time. However, I usually shift it into Sport mode and keep it on 5th. Shifting into 6th at less than 80mph puts more work on the engine. It consumes more gas. I get better mileage when I keep it on 5th. Think of riding a 10 speed bike really slow on the heaviest gear. Same thing. Hard on the engine and on the bearings. I believe the sweet spot on my 250 is between 2500rpm and 3000rpm. That's where I see my mileage increase.

Quick Reply: Question: ECT PWR Mode and ECU "Driving Style Learning"