Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Annoying very high idle after swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 11:08 AM
ocd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying very high idle after swap

Overall the car runs great. '98 GS300 w/VVTi 2JZ GT swap. It rips! One lingering problem...now more than before, the engine idles around 3000 rpm. I can't figure it out. Starting/turning it off repeatedly seems to be the only fix. You can imagine how much that process sucks.

I read a post hear about a temporary fix, but couldn't find it on the forum search function. Someone also suggested it IAC, but I'm pretty sure the Drive-by-wire VVTi engines don't have one. The ecu controls the throttle to compensate for idle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-07, 12:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Check that the coolant temperature sensor is working properly or is plugged in. The ecu changes operating modes according to the coolant temperature. If there is something wrong with your sensor, the engine may be stuck in cold start mode all the time. I had that problem when I tore apart my motor and put it all back together. I forgot to plug in the coolant temp sensor and my car was idling at 2500rpm+.
Old 06-23-07, 01:15 PM
BccGS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ocd
Overall the car runs great. '98 GS300 w/VVTi 2JZ GT swap. It rips! One lingering problem...now more than before, the engine idles around 3000 rpm. I can't figure it out. Starting/turning it off repeatedly seems to be the only fix. You can imagine how much that process sucks.

I read a post hear about a temporary fix, but couldn't find it on the forum search function. Someone also suggested it IAC, but I'm pretty sure the Drive-by-wire VVTi engines don't have one. The ecu controls the throttle to compensate for idle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Try to get your hands on a OBD-II scanner with datastream capability. If not a good repair shop will have one and could check it out for you. going rate in South Fl is $45-90. This will allow you to see all of your sensors, fuel trim and other vital inputs the ECU uses to determine idle speed. The temp sensor is a very common cause but you may want to check it out before you just start throwing parts at it.
Old 06-23-07, 01:22 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Get your own OBD2 scanner. A lot cheaper than going to a shop everytime you need to check a CEL code or other engine stuff...especially now that you have a totally non-factory car lol. I bought mine on ebay for like $200. It's a OBD2 scanner with a USB plug that you hook into your laptop. It has all the datastream modes and can also read all the Toyota factory scantool specific codes if you get that software package...it's pretty cool stuff. The brand I got is AutoEnginuity. However, I'm not sure if your car has the same interface and OBD connector since you have a JDM ecu lol.
Old 06-23-07, 01:35 PM
BccGS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Get your own OBD2 scanner. A lot cheaper than going to a shop everytime you need to check a CEL code or other engine stuff...especially now that you have a totally non-factory car lol. I bought mine on ebay for like $200. It's a OBD2 scanner with a USB plug that you hook into your laptop. It has all the datastream modes and can also read all the Toyota factory scantool specific codes if you get that software package...it's pretty cool stuff. The brand I got is AutoEnginuity. However, I'm not sure if your car has the same interface and OBD connector since you have a JDM ecu lol.
Getting your own will save you $$$ in the long run just make sure its a full scanner and not just a universal code reader. If you get some codes out of the ecu send me a message and I will look them up for you.
Old 06-23-07, 01:48 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBD2 Scanner wont work on the 2jz-gte VVTI. It uses a different Protocol. There's one that i know of that works with it. but its a few grand for it.
Old 06-24-07, 10:33 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Anyone with a new snapon reader with a Toyota adapter can read the car from the port under the hood.

I would look for a vacuum leak before going to all this trouble though.

Ben
Old 07-17-07, 11:35 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time it does it try this, has worked 100% every time for me.

If you start the car and it rev's high immediately turn it off.
Turn the key to the ignition "on" position
Put the gas pedal to the floor.
Now turn the key off while holding the pedal to the floor.
Release the pedal, start the car. Problem should be gone.
Old 07-29-07, 02:01 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any news on the car? Did my suggestion fix the problem or did you find another fix/solution?
Old 04-23-23, 08:29 PM
2jDrako
3rd Gear

Default Help

Ok I have a built ge cp pistons eagle rods 9:1 compression stock every thing else motor runs idling high 2000 2100 range n won't go dwn please help
Old 05-26-23, 09:59 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 202 Posts

I don’t believe he has the 2JZ-GTE, I am pretty sure we are talking about a 2JZ-GE with the OBD2 diagnostics. But this would be an important detail to know to be able to determine the solution. You definitely want to make sure there isn’t a DTC hidden and pointing to a bad sensor. And also if it was just a newer 3.0 but not a twin turbo the. It’s possible he didn’t swap the throttle pedal or something like that:
Old 05-30-23, 02:58 AM
2jDrako
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dwoods801
I don’t believe he has the 2JZ-GTE, I am pretty sure we are talking about a 2JZ-GE with the OBD2 diagnostics. But this would be an important detail to know to be able to determine the solution. You definitely want to make sure there isn’t a DTC hidden and pointing to a bad sensor. And also if it was just a newer 3.0 but not a twin turbo the. It’s possible he didn’t swap the throttle pedal or something like that:
yes I have a ge bt the issue was with timing all is good nwjus having to change out the old oil pump during to the build didn't change it out and was nt getting the proper oil pressure it was blocked up with hard chunky stuff nw we re getting ready to rock out thnks for your help