Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boost with O2 sensors? How do I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 11:08 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost with O2 sensors? How do I do it?

Ok guys well my turbo is starting to go in mid this week. I have one question though. When installing where the hell do my O2 sensors go? Am I going to have to ditch some? Drill new bungs? I will be running and ESC-1 so I know that I need at least 1 O2 to wire that in too, but where do they all go?

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 06-24-07, 06:29 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock o2's or an o2 for a wideband? For stock I'd say where they normally go so you don't have to lengthen any wires, if you lost a bung due to new pipes weld some on there. For a wideband, put in the downpipe within 6-10" or so of the tubine housing anywhere from the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position, you will have to weld on a bung for this. I hope that is what you were asking.
Old 06-24-07, 06:32 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

I'm wondering for Stock 02's. So I will need get some new bungs?
Old 06-24-07, 08:02 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ditch the back 2 sensors and replace them with simulators. Reason for that is because that you no longer have cats with the turbo setup unless you have some welded in.

The way I set up my car I ditched all the factory O2 sensors. The only one I have left is a Zeitronix wideband O2 in the downpipe. I get that wideband reading onto my dash. There are no O2's connected to the factory ecu at all on my car. The reason why I did it this way is to prevent the stock ecu from altering fuel trims. It's been working great for me, it's almost like the car is running like a standalone since all my fuel settings stay rock solid and never change. Obviously there is a downside to this setup...you will have to find some way to "pass" state inspections

I tried for a month to keep the stock O2's and make the ecu happy and not alter my fuel trims. In the end I couldn't manage to do that so I just pulled all the stock o2 sensors. I'm sure a more experienced shop might be able to devise some kind of hack or technique for you if you take it there to tune. I'm sticking with my method since I'm having zero problems. I got this technique from another guy here with a pretty hardcore boosted GS300. He was running like 24psi with methanol injection on stock ecu + MAPECU piggybacked!

Last edited by JeffTsai; 06-24-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 08:39 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Ditch the back 2 sensors and replace them with simulators. Reason for that is because that you no longer have cats with the turbo setup unless you have some welded in.
did you buy some kind of gadget o2 simulator or did you use resistors?
Old 06-24-07, 08:55 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

The way I set up my car I ditched all the factory O2 sensors. The only one I have left is a Zeitronix wideband O2 in the downpipe. I get that wideband reading onto my dash. There are no O2's connected to the factory ecu at all on my car. The reason why I did it this way is to prevent the stock ecu from altering fuel trims. It's been working great for me, it's almost like the car is running like a standalone since all my fuel settings stay rock solid and never change. Obviously there is a downside to this setup...you will have to find some way to "pass" state inspections

I tried for a month to keep the stock O2's and make the ecu happy and not alter my fuel trims. In the end I couldn't manage to do that so I just pulled all the stock o2 sensors. I'm sure a more experienced shop might be able to devise some kind of hack or technique for you if you take it there to tune. I'm sticking with my method since I'm having zero problems. I got this technique from another guy here with a pretty hardcore boosted GS300. He was running like 24psi with methanol injection on stock ecu + MAPECU piggybacked!
So ditch the back two and where do I put the third? Should I put my wideband in the downpipe as well as the stock one? I will be running the ESC-1 does that mean anything that I have to different?
Old 06-25-07, 07:09 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually have all the O2 sensors in my downpipe. I have to agree with Jeff, I'm definitely having issues with fuel trim at times, when I'm just cruisin at lower speeds and at partial throttle.

I do have to say that the esc1 does a beautiful job the moment it sees any type of boost and forces the ecu into open loop.

Jeff, I'll hit you up later via PM.
Old 06-25-07, 07:15 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Looks like i'll be ditching all 4 then pulling the CEL bulb

Damn, that means i'll need to get a OBD2 Scanner
Old 06-25-07, 08:11 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Gsoup, the way I have it set up...with all four o2's pulled. The car runs beautifully. It almost drives as if its a factory boosted car. No stuttering or anything at any rpm range. A/F ratios are dead on all the time. I do get VERY slight variances when there is a dramatic change in weather...like if today it's 100F out and tomorrow it's 70F. It deviates a little bit but nowhere near as much as when you allow the stock ecu to trim fuel. Thats what was happening to a bunch of IS300 guys trying to get the car to run with piggybacks and allowing the stock ecu to alter fuel trims...one day perfect the next day kaboom lol.

Bighitbike, you don't need to get an OBD2 scanner. It's nice to have one, but then again it's a $200 tool that might or might not be necessary in your case. If you're gonna be pulling all 4 o2's like me then you don't really need an obd2 scanner to tell you that the 4 sensors are missing lol. If you tune with the 4 pulled o2's method, all you need is a wideband o2 and egt probe(optional) to help you tune. An OBD2 scanner is required if you are trying to tune by watching/altering the fuel trims to within the ecu's "acceptable margin"...aka: run car with all O2's and try not to get a CEL.
Old 06-25-07, 01:39 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By unplug the 02 sensors you will force it into open loop. It's a quick way to fix your problem. Your stock ECU will look at the 02 sensor inputs and make corrections from there. Most people will assume the front 02 sensors are the are the only ones that the ECU will look at. Rear 02 sensors play a big role on fuel trim also.
JPI
Old 06-25-07, 01:55 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Gsoup, the way I have it set up...with all four o2's pulled. The car runs beautifully. It almost drives as if its a factory boosted car. No stuttering or anything at any rpm range. A/F ratios are dead on all the time. I do get VERY slight variances when there is a dramatic change in weather...like if today it's 100F out and tomorrow it's 70F. It deviates a little bit but nowhere near as much as when you allow the stock ecu to trim fuel. Thats what was happening to a bunch of IS300 guys trying to get the car to run with piggybacks and allowing the stock ecu to alter fuel trims...one day perfect the next day kaboom lol.
Originally Posted by JPI
By unplug the 02 sensors you will force it into open loop. It's a quick way to fix your problem. Your stock ECU will look at the 02 sensor inputs and make corrections from there. Most people will assume the front 02 sensors are the are the only ones that the ECU will look at. Rear 02 sensors play a big role on fuel trim also.
JPI
Thanks guys for the input.

It acts up when its really HOT outside. Other than that I mean I've reset my computer maybe 5-6 times in 3 months. My idle actually is fine. I have no problems with it at all. It's dam near perfect, at idle I don't even hear my car its that quiet. i'm also only pushing 8 lbs max so I know once i go above that I'm going to have issues.

Jeff you put O2 sims on all four? Jason, thats what you mean by unplugging them correct?

Appreciate the help fellas
Old 06-25-07, 02:27 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

No, no o2 sims. No O2 sensors are plugged into the stock ecu AT ALL. You are gonna get CEL out of the ***(I think I have 5-6 codes lol), but this is a method to prevent the stock ECU from altering fuel trims. As Jason said, it will run open loop all the time so basically it references the fuel map only and no longer the O2s. Other than the CEL for the missing sensors, the car runs perfect and drives perfect. Hell, my mom has driven my car and hasn't notice anything different. Thats how good and close to stock driveability I have the car at right now. I haven't EVER had to reset the ecu since I used this new method. I guess it's up to you if you want to throw CEL's or not. That's the main reason why the method is used less often among a lotta the bosoted IS/GS's. The trade off I guess is being able to pass state inspections or not...but thats not too hard if you "know someone"
Old 06-25-07, 02:37 PM
BccGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bighitbike, you don't need to get an OBD2 scanner. It's nice to have one, but then again it's a $200 tool that might or might not be necessary in your case. If you're gonna be pulling all 4 o2's like me then you don't really need an obd2 scanner to tell you that the 4 sensors are missing lol. If you tune with the 4 pulled o2's method, all you need is a wideband o2 and egt probe(optional) to help you tune. An OBD2 scanner is required if you are trying to tune by watching/altering the fuel trims to within the ecu's "acceptable margin"...aka: run car with all O2's and try not to get a CEL.
So did you pull the CEL bulb or just driving around with it on?
Old 06-25-07, 11:55 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

No, no o2 sims. No O2 sensors are plugged into the stock ecu AT ALL. You are gonna get CEL out of the ***(I think I have 5-6 codes lol), but this is a method to prevent the stock ECU from altering fuel trims. As Jason said, it will run open loop all the time so basically it references the fuel map only and no longer the O2s. Other than the CEL for the missing sensors, the car runs perfect and drives perfect. Hell, my mom has driven my car and hasn't notice anything different. Thats how good and close to stock driveability I have the car at right now. I haven't EVER had to reset the ecu since I used this new method. I guess it's up to you if you want to throw CEL's or not. That's the main reason why the method is used less often among a lotta the bosoted IS/GS's. The trade off I guess is being able to pass state inspections or not...but thats not too hard if you "know someone"
LOL.... I already get CEL's, so what difference does it make.. I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks alot Jeff.

State inspection.. Is that a new agency?
Old 06-26-07, 09:55 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I actually pulled all my CEL, VSC OFF, and VSC bulbs out

Quick Reply: Boost with O2 sensors? How do I do it?