Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ticketed for having HKS Hi-Power!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 10:37 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be a fix-it ticket, which should only be 20 dollars. Throw your old exhaust back on and pay the fee, and put your HKS back on after a while. References to CA probably won't help, because it's not CA. Your CVC doesn't state there's a decibel limit that the cop has to measure before deeming your exhaust too loud, so anything goes, which is probably why he pulled you over.

That sucks that they are ticketing people out of state too, I can understand speeding, but violations such as exhaust, tint etc, they aren't allowed to ticket you if you don't live in the state. How can you know the laws of that state if you don't live there right? Are you supposed to know every law that's in effect in every jurisdiction that you pass through? That's how it should be fought in court, you probably would have won.
Old 06-25-07, 11:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Georgia tickets out of state cars for tint. I questioned an attorney who is a judge's assistant about the legality of this, and he said it's perfectly legal to ticket for illegal equipment even if your car is not registered in the state issuing the ticket.

It sounds hard to imagine, but so far it has stood the test in Georgia. If California wanted to be real buttheads, they could ticket every 49 state car in California for failing to comply with smog. It seems pretty unreasonable to me, and if this trend continues, I suspect there will be something larger than the states to squash it.
Old 06-25-07, 11:49 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I hate Virginia. With the new laws getting ready to hit us on July 1st and the ridiculous Fairfax county cops, it's just getting out of control.
A friend of mine had a bad experience with the Fairfax county cops a few years back. He was at a bar in Centreville, and wound up getting pretty drunk. Rather than get behind the wheel of his car, he tried to do the responsible thing and walk the mile or so back to his apartment. A Fairfax County cop picked him up while he was walking. Rather than compliment him on his good judgment and perhaps offer him a ride home, they brought him down to the station for "public drunkenness", and held him in a cell until he could see a judge in the morning.

Last edited by Bichon; 06-25-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 12:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's to you VA! At one point I thought about getting this plate, but held back as I knew it would just get me in more trouble with the POPO. If anyone from VA wants this plate, it appears to be available on the DMV site.
Attached Thumbnails Ticketed for having HKS Hi-Power!-hate-va.jpg  
Old 06-25-07, 03:11 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignorance is never an excuse for breaking the law. Actually, it doesn't matter where you live, NOBODY knows all the laws that apply to them. Personally, I think the federal government should pass an ammendment that there can't be more criminal laws than the average Joe could possibly know (ie about 10 laws).
Old 06-25-07, 04:23 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I listened for about 15 minutes to the Fairfax Court's automated phone system to find out how much the ticket would be for. Assuming I understood it correctly, the fine for the exhaust violation would be $30+$57 court costs.

It "grinds my gears" (re: Family Guy), but if the ticket is $87, I'll just pay it to put it behind me. Losing half a day in court is more costly, unfortunately.

Stupid Fairfax county. I won't even mention the number of times I've been pulled for an "illegal license plate cover".
Old 06-25-07, 04:34 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I hate Virginia. With the new laws getting ready to hit us on July 1st and the ridiculous Fairfax county cops, it's just getting out of control. How about all these damn motorcycles with the exhaust so loud I can't even finish my sentences until they are far enough away. No ticket and those bikes didn't come from the factory that way, yet the police still pick on us.

New VA Driving Fines

Effective July 1 in Commonwealth of Virginia, any traffic ticket, with
the exception of regular speeding, will carry heavy civil penalties
(yes, this is a new charge) in addition to the fine and court costs that
you will have to pay.

Here are just a few............

Driving on a suspended or revoked permit - Civil penalty $750.00 + the
court cost & fines

Reckless Driving - Civil penalty $1,050.00 + the court cost & fines

DUI - 1st offence - Civil penalty $2,250.00 + the court cost & fines

Failure to give proper signal - Civil penalty $1,050.00 + the court cost
& fines

Leaving the scene of an accident - Civil penalty $3,000.00 + the court
cost & fines

Yeah, I know. One of my motorcycles is way louder than a car exhaust (but not nearly as loud as the straight pipes that a lot of Harleys have). But the law quoted above says:

"An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make."

Nothing about motorcycles. Of course, I can foresee a lot of Mustang and Corvette owners getting some tickets if they get hard core.
Old 06-25-07, 04:35 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cherplex
Wow that really sucks, even though it says virginia residents only I think they will go after any and everybody.

The "fee" supposedly shows up as a registration fee to be paid by (or at) the time of drivers license renewal. If that's the case, they wouldn't be able to target non-residents.
Old 06-25-07, 06:17 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I would consider motorcycles to be legally included in the "private passenger motor vehicle" category...
Old 07-01-07, 02:27 PM
Cleric
Driver

I'm glad I don't live in NOVA anymore! Some of the laws enacted by that state while I was growing up there were not far from being considered cruel and unusual. I remember when going to school one day a cop was hiding in the bushes on the side of the road shooting radar when he jump in front of me in the road to get me to pull over. I almost ran into the idiot. He issued me a speeding ticket but he never indicated my actual speed so I went to court only for the judge to dismiss the case. VA cops are terribly over paid in my opinion.

When I was in high school we used to have parties (who didn't right?) and just to show how our parents tax dollars were being used, Fairfax County would use helicopters to bust our parties. WTF?!?! I can only image the cost to use a helicopter, but to try and bust a high school party with one never made sense to me.

I'll give out a big F-U to VA!
Old 07-01-07, 04:55 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the most part, I think cops are underpaid for the job they do (along with teachers). I have a few family and friends that are in law enforcement. That said, I'm still pretty annoyed that I was targeted simply due to a aftermarket exhaust.

But what really upsets me is a county government taking advantage of its constituents by deliberating raising ticket fines to ridiculous levels.

I really hope the lawmakers who recommended and passed these measures get pulled for reckless driving. No doubt there'd be a change in the fines after that.
Old 07-03-07, 12:32 AM
2IS250
Driver School Candidate

I really think this is a fluke. I say it is a fix it ticket. All you have to do is bring proof that they do indeed sell an HKS Exhaust on Lexus's website. Then I would bring in a pic with the Original equipment on your vehicle and simply tell the judge it was a misunderstanding and that it is now fixed and case closed. I doubt you will get messed with again
Old 07-03-07, 06:00 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It's funny how people from other states are able to say that this is a "fix it" ticket. Every state is different. As I said earlier, the only ticket I got when I lived in Virginia was for illegal tint, which I expected to be a "fix it" ticket. It wasn't. Here in Texas, the officer has the authority to make it a "fix it" ticket, or not, at the time the ticket is written. Basically, if the officer forgets to check the "fix it" option, you're screwed (in Texas). I'm sure every state differs some in regards to the "fix it" option.
Old 07-03-07, 07:10 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a ticket in IL for the same thing. I bought a decibel meter from Radio Shack and brought the car to a friend's friend who is a highway patrol. I showed him that my car did not go over the state requirements and he signed off on the ticket. Then I returned the dB meter.
Old 07-03-07, 09:18 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2IS250
I really think this is a fluke. I say it is a fix it ticket. All you have to do is bring proof that they do indeed sell an HKS Exhaust on Lexus's website. Then I would bring in a pic with the Original equipment on your vehicle and simply tell the judge it was a misunderstanding and that it is now fixed and case closed. I doubt you will get messed with again
The problem here is that he does not have the exhaust that Lexus sells. While they may be from the same manufacturer, they are two different products.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for having HKS Hi-Power!