Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 07:42 PM
Zexnos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a K&N intake system this afternoon and had zero issues with said black box. I will get pics tomorrow and post them. Hope I can be of service to you.

P.S. Just to clarify, I have the black box and got around it, you are not alone...

Last edited by Zexnos; 07-02-07 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-03-07, 01:20 PM
Zexnos
Driver

Well, my digital is dead so no pickeys. Basically, there is enough room between the cars metal and the box. You apply gentle force and it slides right in.

A question for you. Did you kit have the right sized hose clamps? I had to go to Lowe's to find the correct one for the throttle body. the one included was just shy of being big enough. also, did you kit have a long narrow rubber tube that was not used in the install?
Old 07-03-07, 02:56 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

^^Looks like they haven't changed anything since my test fit and review last year...

Javier
Old 07-03-07, 03:30 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The black box is the OEM driving data recorder - used to record specific car performance parameters. It is also used to study road safety issues, material degradation, and engine performance. They are often used as an aid in investigating car accidents.

Warrionex
Old 07-04-07, 07:36 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warrionex
The black box is the OEM driving data recorder - used to record specific car performance parameters. It is also used to study road safety issues, material degradation, and engine performance. They are often used as an aid in investigating car accidents.

Warrionex
Wonder why everyone doesn't have this black box.
Old 07-04-07, 11:10 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by warrionex

Warrionex
That's not the same "black box" that is the event data recorder. It might be a sensor for the EDR, but the "black box" is actually located inside the airbag sensor assembly, underneath the armrest center console:

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Wonder why everyone doesn't have this black box.
Not sure which "black box" you're referring to, but all 2IS's have the EDR.

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 07-04-07 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-04-07, 11:27 AM
MYIS350
Rookie

Default Follow up from MYIS350!

Hi. I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts into this matter. THe problem has been solved. During the first try of installing the intake, I guess I was being too careful. But now, I've successfully installed the heat shield. That thing sounds AWESOME!!!
For those need closer pictures of the black box, here it is.
ooops, my pic files are too big that it won't let me upload it. Can someone tell me how to decrease the file size? Thanks!
Old 07-04-07, 11:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^Read this thread for an easy way to resize your pictures if you don't have Photoshop or other image editing software.

Javier
Old 07-04-07, 03:06 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by javyLSU
^Read this thread for an easy way to resize your pictures if you don't have Photoshop or other image editing software.

Javier
WOW, what an amazing software!!!!
ok, here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?-pic-1-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 03:08 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Default More pic

Closer look
Attached Thumbnails What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?-pic-2-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 03:10 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Default Picture

I must have at least 10 characters on this post...............
Attached Thumbnails What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?-pic-3-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 03:10 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Need at least 10 characters............
Attached Thumbnails What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?-pic-4-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-05-07, 04:12 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
That's not the same "black box" that is the event data recorder. It might be a sensor for the EDR, but the "black box" is actually located inside the airbag sensor assembly, underneath the armrest center console:

Javier
Javy:

I was joking. I took the definition from the airlines' black box. Nowadays, the black box is actually red.

The Event Data Recorder was a surprise for me thou. More info is available in the manual (section 5-1, page 337)

Warrionex
Old 07-05-07, 06:58 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

No so long ago a drunk driver killed someone and got convicted solely by the EDR box inside the car. The court ordered Ford (I think) to give the data as a witness.
Old 07-06-07, 09:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,068 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Here's the official scoop on the EDR - and yes, it can be used as evidence and if you google EDR you'll see there is significant case law already on EDR data. As you can see, Toyota believe they also own the data. I do not believe this is true in California, but I don't know about other states.
Attached Thumbnails What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?-edr-info.gif  

Quick Reply: What is THIS black box near the filter that hinders the heat shield installation?