Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Exhaust do you CURRENTLY own?
Borla (Street version)
2.92%
Borla (Off Road Version)
2.04%
Greddy SP2
6.71%
Lexus HKS Dual Sport
13.99%
HKS Hi-Power
21.87%
Tanabe Medalion Touring
45.48%
LMS
3.21%
Megan Racing
3.79%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust Poll, (Exhaust owners please leave input on your exhaust here!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 10:04 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus IS350
Which Exhaust: Tanabe MT
Dyno: No
Did you feel any Hp/Tq difference: No
Comments on your exhaust: among aftermarket exhausts, tanabe is a quiet one. no droning at highway speed, no droning at cruise control, hummm sound heard within 1500k-3500k rpm during accelerating. in high rpms, exhaust sound dies, it's all engine sound (this is when intake sound comes in - if you have one)

overall, great, suitable exhaust for a Lexus. any louder than Tanabe would be suitable for riced up civic or accord IMO.
Old 05-28-08, 07:52 PM
EVETS
Driver School Candidate

Lexus IS250 AWD
Which Exhaust: HKS Hi-Power
Dyno: No
Did you feel any Hp/Tq difference, if yes, how much/where in the powerband, ect? I really cant say i have felt any difference however i am sure there is. I think maybe a slight but that may be just my mind telling me that.
Comments on your exhaust: I love it...the sound is great...the good thing also is that the exhaust pretty much dies off after 3000 rpm so i hear my exhaust most of the time.

Old 07-09-08, 09:49 AM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling all members with exhausts or questions!

So I got to thinking today...i realized there are not alot of things to do to our ISx50's and decided most of the threads under this performance category have to do with exhaust so I decided to make this a thread about all exhaust.

Post your clips of your exhaust & feel free to ask any questions, I'll start with my contribution

(yes i realized there is an 'exhaust poll thread' but figured this would be a better & more organized way to start off)
Old 07-09-08, 09:54 AM
DevJ
Driver

I have the Lexus Hks Exhaust

Drive-by : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3q28oOtxnI

0-60 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Az2TrC0JM

Revs (imo, exhaust not full broken in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZDNBRgj-A

Flooring with windows down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLUTQrgVr0

Crappy video with revs, drive-by, & partial accerlation :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcmMCAcTzAY

Any videos you would like or if you have questions, feel free to ask!
Old 07-09-08, 10:23 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

im pretty sure theres already a thread like this
Old 07-09-08, 10:34 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Look here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=290342
Old 07-09-08, 10:40 AM
DevJ
Driver

i already stated that i knew there was that thread
Old 07-09-08, 05:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,044 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by DevJ
i already stated that i knew there was that thread
Threads merged. There is no point in opening multiple thread with the same information.
Old 04-18-09, 06:43 AM
Squrrell
Driver School Candidate

OK guys, after reading through the posts (there's a lot, so sorry if I missed something) and looking at YouTube vids over and over, I still need a little help. My car is still under warranty, and I'm mainly looking for sound enhancement. I would like for it to sound a lot like a G35/G37 or 350Z. I really don't want any droning or gross intrusion into the cabin during cruising, but would like to hear a little growl during acceleration.

From the user poll and what I've seen in the videos, I'm kinda leaning toward the Tanabe MT. I noticed that the Megan midpipe seems to enhance the overall sound quality. I have not been able to find much detail about the midpipe however. Does it replace the cats? I certainly don't want to invalidate my warranty. I'm under the impression that as long as I only touch the parts after the cats, I'm good in the respect.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Please chime in, looking to pull the trigger soon!

Thanks all.
Old 04-18-09, 11:25 AM
Raider#81
Driver School Candidate

If you do not want the drone at highway speeds get the Megan Midpipe. I have the Greddy SE exhaust which is little bit louder than the Tanabe and once I put the midpipe on the drone decreased. The midpipe does not replace the cats. Also the midpipe will allow you to hear your exhaust past 3500 rpm's . Lastly, depending on where you live you will pass an emissions test but will not pass a visual inspection.
Old 04-18-09, 11:34 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I had both Tanabe and Lexus HKS. Lexus HKS sounds like G35. Ask other members. When you hit 2500rpm it sounds exactly like G35 note, except not as loud Tanabe does not sound like G35 at all. The only problem is Lexus HKS is discontinued and cost $1200 new.

Originally Posted by Squrrell
OK guys, after reading through the posts (there's a lot, so sorry if I missed something) and looking at YouTube vids over and over, I still need a little help. My car is still under warranty, and I'm mainly looking for sound enhancement. I would like for it to sound a lot like a G35/G37 or 350Z. I really don't want any droning or gross intrusion into the cabin during cruising, but would like to hear a little growl during acceleration.

From the user poll and what I've seen in the videos, I'm kinda leaning toward the Tanabe MT. I noticed that the Megan midpipe seems to enhance the overall sound quality. I have not been able to find much detail about the midpipe however. Does it replace the cats? I certainly don't want to invalidate my warranty. I'm under the impression that as long as I only touch the parts after the cats, I'm good in the respect.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Please chime in, looking to pull the trigger soon!

Thanks all.
Old 04-18-09, 07:04 PM
Squrrell
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Raider and Dojoman, that's very helpful. Why won't the midpipe pass a visual? What's different about it compared to stock?

That's very interesting Dojoman about your comparison between the Tanabe and HKS. So how would you describe the sound of the Tanabe? From your post, it seems like you didn't like it. What do you have now? Do the Lexus HKS systems come up for sale very often?
Old 04-18-09, 07:13 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

None of the ABOVE
Old 04-18-09, 08:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Squrrell
Thanks Raider and Dojoman, that's very helpful. Why won't the midpipe pass a visual? What's different about it compared to stock?

That's very interesting Dojoman about your comparison between the Tanabe and HKS. So how would you describe the sound of the Tanabe? From your post, it seems like you didn't like it. What do you have now? Do the Lexus HKS systems come up for sale very often?
Tanabe has very deep tone, when you floor on the freeway or climbing up a hill it becomes really loud, almost like droning.
Lexus HKS does not do that but some people don't like because it's very quiet. I can only hear the exhaust note at 2500 rpm.
Check out this youtube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZQrom3cQg
If you really really want G35 sound, this is the only exhaust.

Last edited by dojoman; 04-18-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 10:08 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dojoman
Tanabe has very deep tone, when you floor on the freeway or climbing up a hill it becomes really loud, almost like droning.
Lexus HKS does not do that but some people don't like because it's very quiet. I can only hear the exhaust note at 2500 rpm.
Check out this youtube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZQrom3cQg
If you really really want G35 sound, this is the only exhaust.
HM........
I still don't understand why people try to find G35 exhaust sound from our car ..it's totally different engines that we are talking about here
none of the exhausts that I've heard in person,
(and YES, I've heard Tanabe, HKS High Power, Lexus HKS, F-Sport, JoeZ, and Borla in person)
nothing sounds like G35

and yes I know how G35 sounds like cuz I used to drive G35 couple 6MT
for about a year

Quick Reply: Exhaust Poll, (Exhaust owners please leave input on your exhaust here!!)