Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need a Wideband? Take a look.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 03:59 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Wideband? Take a look.

Just thought I'd share, ran across this article online, have some very good information in regards to the most popular widebands on the market. If anyone's looking for one currently and don't know which one would be good, read this article. Should be able to help you make the decision.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...tout/index.php
Old 06-28-07, 04:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good Information I'm using the AEM. This pic is so crazy lol

Old 06-28-07, 05:41 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

HAHA, I thought the exact same thing! I was going to go with the AEM, but now I've changed my mind and am going with the Innovate. I like the Innovate due to the slimness of the unit.
Old 06-28-07, 09:59 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I use the Zeitronix. I like it because of all the intergrated sensors. O2, Boost, and EGT all on one lcd. I haven't really had any accuracy issues. As for response time, it's about 5 times faster if hooked up to a laptop. The external lcd updates about 2-3 times a second, on a laptop its about 10-15 samples per sec.
Old 06-28-07, 02:04 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had one from Innovate Motorsports. It was not the one pictured though. It was an older model and was bulkier. I sold it along with my turbo Mustang.
Old 06-28-07, 03:59 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem I can see is the use of the Bosch sensor. While fine for pump gas, leaded race gas is a no-no. The FJO NTK sensor is much more resistant to fouling when it comes to race gas, but they're pricey.

Eric
Old 06-28-07, 04:49 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I heard if you cycle around with race gas it will clean the contaminants. Like maybe half a tank of race gas and then 2-3 tank of pump. Not sure if that's true or just a myth.

A little off topic, but why the need to run race fuel? Ever heard of methanol injection...it's the new thing now days, kinda like race gas on demand heh. Only disadvantage is IF it runs out on you when the motor is under extreme load. I run it in my car and my EGT temps dropped about 200F or so compared to running without methanol injection. Some people run no intercooler and have methanol spray only when they hit boost. Hell, there are people that run meth with 15-20PSI boost and 87-89octane pumpgas with no intercooler!!! Methanol is a VERY effective anti-detonant.
Old 06-28-07, 09:03 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I heard if you cycle around with race gas it will clean the contaminants. Like maybe half a tank of race gas and then 2-3 tank of pump. Not sure if that's true or just a myth.

A little off topic, but why the need to run race fuel? Ever heard of methanol injection...it's the new thing now days, kinda like race gas on demand heh. Only disadvantage is IF it runs out on you when the motor is under extreme load. I run it in my car and my EGT temps dropped about 200F or so compared to running without methanol injection. Some people run no intercooler and have methanol spray only when they hit boost. Hell, there are people that run meth with 15-20PSI boost and 87-89octane pumpgas with no intercooler!!! Methanol is a VERY effective anti-detonant.
I've run methanol for a couple of years and all I can say is that it's reliability is spiratic at best. 50% of the time, it works eveytime. Engine failure is a matter rolling the dice.

Eric
Old 06-29-07, 06:06 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Eric, you don't know what you are talking about

Originally Posted by c0wboy
The only problem I can see is the use of the Bosch sensor. While fine for pump gas, leaded race gas is a no-no. The FJO NTK sensor is much more resistant to fouling when it comes to race gas, but they're pricey.

Eric
Old 06-29-07, 06:51 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by DCMango
Eric, you don't know what you are talking about
Yeah who am I, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Eric
Old 06-29-07, 08:35 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

Have you heard of guys running high boost with meth injection and blown up their engine? Many!!! I don't understand why people invested thousands of dollars into their engine and go cheap on the race gas. There are people park their car on the hill and the methanol would flow through the check valve and the engine is flooded with meth. What is the point of running 15 psi + with no intercooler?
JPI
Old 06-29-07, 08:36 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Yeah who am I, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Eric
Eric does know what he is talking about!!!! He is not one of to wanna be.
JPI
Old 06-29-07, 08:39 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

DCmango,
How is your project coming? I would like to see it in person. Very nice work!
JPI
Old 06-29-07, 09:07 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Back to the wideband selection. I've use Zeitronix, Innovative, AEM and the FJO.
I really like the Zeitronix. They offer wideband, boost, egt all in one unit and nice display. It's very afforable. The sensor takes a little bit to warm up but no big deal. If you are looking to input the data to another standalone or a piggyback. Make sure you input the exact calibration that provided on the sheet. Other than that the unit is very user friendly. To cut the cost down they use the bosch sensor.
Innovative is another affordable one also. It's a very simple to use. I never had any trouble with this unit. I think starting price is $120.
AEM comes with the display. Their first gen wasn't too good. They had work all the bugs out on the second gen. I had a hard time getting the a/f data to sync between my gauge and the aem ems.
FJO: Wow... What can I say about this unit? It's one of the best!!! But the best ain't cheap $750 . The first Gen is one awesome unit. They used the best sensor ever.... The NTK sensor. This sensor comes off the Honda Insight and the sensor itself cost $179 ouch. But you can throw all the race gas to it and it still work years after years. Many of the high hp supras use the FJO and I have one myself on my racecar. Calibration is very easy. Tech support is top notch and the guys actually knows what they are talking about. The second gen FJO is a little cheaper because they changed the sensor. It's now available with Bosch sensor also.
To sum it up. Zeitronix is a good all in one unit. If you are using race gas all the time, I would go with the FJO with NTK sensor.
JPI
Old 06-29-07, 09:13 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPI
I don't understand why people invested thousands of dollars into their engine and go cheap on the race gas. There are people park their car on the hill and the methanol would flow through the check valve and the engine is flooded with meth. What is the point of running 15 psi + with no intercooler?
JPI
Well, for my setup I'm only at 14psi so it's been doing the job well enough. When I run higher in the future, I'm definately gonna use racegas and maybe in conjuntion with the meth injection. I also use the aftermarket ecu to trigger the pump instead of relying on the inaccurate boost sense valve the kits come with. Also, the system needs to use a high quality metal/brass check valve and not a solenoid or plastic valve to prevent leaking.

I think the people that run high boost with no intercooler might just be tight on cash, or have a roots/scroll type blower setup where it's a bit more difficult/expensive to have a custom water to air intercooler setup put in. But as you said, if they've invested that much already...whats another $500-1k for a custom intercooler setup heh.

Anyways, back on topic. I think the bosch sensor has about a 5-10k miles life span under the use of leaded fuel.

Quick Reply: Need a Wideband? Take a look.