Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Street Legal exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 11:29 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put money that with an axle back you'll pass smog no problem, and fly under the radar from CHP or local cops.
Old 07-05-07, 05:18 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Taken from the Lexus US site.

Old 07-05-07, 06:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only true cat-back exhaust is Borla's street version that requires cutting the mid-pipe behind the secondary cats. It replaces the two Y pipes and resonator with an X-pipe.
Old 07-05-07, 08:02 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh, so that's why the Borla sounds so much meaner due to the elimination of the resonator. Honestly, I really feel the resonator doesn't do ANYTHING besides deadening the exhaust sound further. I'll bet you can even take that out on stock vehicles and it will still pass emissions.

I'm going to go that route then. Now I will seriously consider Borla. Heh, I just got a quote from Lexus how much it would cost to install the darn thing and they said $105 for labor. They said that it will also void my warranty for the Borla, which sucks. But, they did say they can do the OEM Performance upgrade for $1514 total price plus an additional $150 reduction because of AAA discount. Big whoop, it's still pretty high priced.
Old 07-05-07, 08:25 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The resonator and mufflers do nothing for emissions, but they do a LOT for sound. Regarding the Borla exhausts, one is street legal, and the other isn't. Unfortunately, the street legal version doesn't have resonators, so it is significantly louder. I don't understand why Borla did that...

The only part of the warranty that can be voided by an exhaust is the warranty for the exhaust. If the dealer is trying to imply that the Borla exhaust will void the warranty on the whole car, they are absolutely lying.
Old 07-05-07, 08:32 AM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
It's because I had a true back before for my Nissan Altima equipped with a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. Lots of welding was involved. My Toyota Corolla previously was an axleback from TRD even though a lot of idiots called it a cat-back exhaust system. I mean, isn't "cat-back" refer to: upgraded exhaust which includes pipes and muffler "directly after" the "catalytic convertor"? I can udnerstand bolt on exhaust can't do that unless you get someone to actually "cut" the pipes right after the convertor, then weld in place (adding additional piping as necessary to complete the system changeover).

Because of my interest on hooking up an exhaust for my IS, I'm looking for a true cat back system. The Lexus OEM performance exhaust is also a direct bolt on axle back system and not a true cat back.

The picture shown here......

.....includes only the "y" pipe and dual performance muffler (tip too). But the resonator piece and on back is still stock which leads me to believe that it's another OEM axle-back exhaust system.

I can't find any decent pictures of the HKS Hi-Power exhaust to compare to so I can't say if it's the same as the OEM. I do know that they do use a different HKS muffler from what I can see. That's it.
did you not like this pic??
https://www.clublexus.com//gallery/d...s_hi-power.jpg

Last edited by nrsk4u; 07-05-07 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-05-07, 08:38 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
The resonator and mufflers do nothing for emissions, but they do a LOT for sound. Regarding the Borla exhausts, one is street legal, and the other isn't. Unfortunately, the street legal version doesn't have resonators, so it is significantly louder. I don't understand why Borla did that...

The only part of the warranty that can be voided by an exhaust is the warranty for the exhaust. If the dealer is trying to imply that the Borla exhaust will void the warranty on the whole car, they are absolutely lying.
The dealer probably want me to buy their product instead of brining in an outsider aftermarket product like Borla. I should sue them. The resonators do create some kind of restriction towards exhaust flow right? I mean to make it quieter, there has to be something that does that. Then it tries to slience it even more by going through the muffler. Whew, talking about this makes me feel like I'm gasping for air. My car is choking due to the restrictions!!! Must....free.....the......exhaust up.

Originally Posted by nrsk4u
did you not like this pic??
That link didn't work for me. Says that "Address not valid". Never mind, I see it now. The exhaust look good, it's just that the resonator is left intact. I want to get rid of it. I may just get each part individually. Muffler. Then go somewhere so people can work on the other parts. I just like Lexus to do it because if flows with warranty and when things come up, they can't say, "well you had this installed elsewhere from a non-certified Lexus dealership" and result in incorrect installation, such, and such...
Old 07-05-07, 08:40 AM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

sorry, here you go
Attached Thumbnails Street Legal exhaust-hks-hi-power.jpg  
Old 07-05-07, 08:42 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Is there a sound difference with performance exhaust on the IS250 vs IS350? I'm thinking they should sound a little different right? Due to the engine difference.
Old 07-05-07, 08:45 AM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Is there a sound difference with performance exhaust on the IS250 vs IS350? I'm thinking they should sound a little different right? Due to the engine difference.
thats a good question, I would guess they would sound about the same, I have not compared them side to side. same engine maker, 350's just have more HP.
Old 07-05-07, 08:54 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I'll have to make a thread about that. OMG, I just went to Borla's website and they don't even have exhaust listed for the IS250 AT RWD. Wierd....
Old 07-05-07, 09:37 AM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

I'll have to make a thread about that. OMG, I just went to Borla's website and they don't even have exhaust listed for the IS250 AT RWD. Wierd....
not to hot on the whole borla set up....its more for american cars. for that money id get OEM HKS duel sport. at least that way you know its made for your car, ya know
Old 07-05-07, 01:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

not to hot on the whole borla set up....its more for american cars. for that money id get OEM HKS duel sport. at least that way you know its made for your car, ya know
That's kind of silly. The borla exhaust isn't generic. It is designed specifically for the 2IS, just like the OEM HKS.
Old 07-05-07, 03:18 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
That's kind of silly. The borla exhaust isn't generic. It is designed specifically for the 2IS, just like the OEM HKS.
WOW, news to me... I was under the wrong impression then. seemed to me the style of borla dosent change for the imports. I actually was contemplating the borla but not a single person recomended it (pre-CL) to me so I went with HKS.
Old 07-05-07, 04:00 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

WOW, news to me... I was under the wrong impression then. seemed to me the style of borla dosent change for the imports. I actually was contemplating the borla but not a single person recomended it (pre-CL) to me so I went with HKS.
Sounds like the people you were talking to weren't very knowledgeable. The "off road" Borla exhaust seems to be the best design of anything else available since no other design implements an X-pipe, and the off road version is relatively quiet. I really wish I had waited for it instead of going the custom mid-pipe / HKS Hi Power route.

Quick Reply: Street Legal exhaust