Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust question/help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 01:02 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Exhaust question/help

Quick question, and YES I did do a search but couldn't find a good answer regarding THIS question in particular.

I am looking at getting an exhaust, but drone is my number 1 concern, since my car is a highway cruiser.

So, my question is: could someone with either a Tanabe or Lexus HKS system tell me how the drone is at about 60 mph (b/w 58-63 mph...the speed limit in my area). I know there are sound clips available, but those are all dependent on sound cards, bit rate, etc. I am just looking for personal experience.

TIA

-Mike

Also, please answer only if you have one of these two exhausts, and please don't recommend another system (except for maybe Tom's, but that seems WAY too expensive). I have narrowed it down to these two based off looks, noise levels, warranty issues, member experience, etc. (Nothing against the other ones out there)
Old 07-04-07, 01:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

There will be some audible drone with any aftermarket exhaust system. You cant' avoid it. It's usually best to experience the sound from the driver's seat of a comparable car to get the feeling especially when you have a load on the engine at cruising speeds or what not. Acoustics in your IS vary from seat to seat. You hear a different frequency of tones when sitting in the driver's or passenger seat or even in the rear. I personally think the HKS exhaust is a little more mellow than the Tanabe. Probably good to get with some locals and compare notes before making a decision off of what people will post. Everyone has a different interpretation of "loud or quiet".
Old 07-04-07, 01:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drone is 'subjective'.
Old 07-04-07, 01:38 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

'Loud' and 'drone' are less 'subjective' when you've heard both of the choices... I have, and I can tell you that the sound and drone from both of these systems is almost identical. There's some, but not much drone. Honestly, if I were blindfolded and had to distinguish the tone between these two exhausts, I couldn't do it - they sound that much alike. If I were you I'd get the one I could get for less, since they look very simliar too. Hope this helps!

Javier
Old 07-04-07, 01:47 PM
mikes rx

Perhaps I should have done a preface:

I have a mustang, and I know what drone is, what it sounds like, why it happens, etc etc etc.

Yes, it will be subjective. But, I also know from personal experience that Corsa exhaust systems have no drone, and I was thinking/hoping that with the quiet nature of the Tanabe and the "factory" aspect of the Lexus/HKS system that one of them would have minimal drone.

In terms of finding another IS with an exhaust system in my area: chances are slim to none. It's hard enough to see an IS period, let alone a 350, let alone one with an exhaust.

In terms of loud and drone: they are two totally different things, and you can have one without the other. My mustang with Corsa's is LOUD when you get on it, quiet when cruising, and absolutely no drone at any rpm, and that is what I'm looking for in an exhaust for my IS (unfortunately, Corsa doesn't make one for our car )

Last edited by mikes rx; 07-04-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 01:53 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by javyLSU
There's some, but not much drone. Honestly, if I were blindfolded and had to distinguish the tone between these two exhausts, I couldn't do it - they sound that much alike. If I were you I'd get the one I could get for less, since they look very simliar too. Hope this helps!

Javier
Thanks, this does help.
Old 07-04-07, 07:57 PM
oliveryo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you must compare the 2 to decide for youself. Everyone could tell you what they think, but i don't think any of the information is really helpful in letting you choose an exhaust. Person A may think exhaust #1 is too loud, but person B may think exhaust #1 is just right and Person C may think exhaust #1 is too quiet. Everybody has different tastes in sounds and droning. You must hear it yourself to see if the the sound is droning is acceptable by yourself. We can only guide you in the direction, but at the end you are the one who makes the final decision
Old 07-04-07, 08:11 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by oliveryo
you must compare the 2 to decide for youself. Everyone could tell you what they think, but i don't think any of the information is really helpful in letting you choose an exhaust. Person A may think exhaust #1 is too loud, but person B may think exhaust #1 is just right and Person C may think exhaust #1 is too quiet. Everybody has different tastes in sounds and droning. You must hear it yourself to see if the the sound is droning is acceptable by yourself. We can only guide you in the direction, but at the end you are the one who makes the final decision
Again, it's going to be impossible for me to compare the two before buying, for the reasons indicated in my previous post. All I'm looking for is some personal accounts from people with these two systems, and use that info to help make my decision. For example, I can tell you from personal experience that a Sequoia with a Bassani exhaust has TERRIBLE drone at 2K rpm to the extent that it would give you a headache after 5 minutes of driving it.

I am looking for info like that. Just some first-hand accounts of how the system "acts" under a particular driving situation.

Last edited by mikes rx; 07-04-07 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 12:15 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

I'm with Javy. I've heard and been in an IS350 with both Tanabe and Lexus HKS exhausts. They sound VERY similar. I too was concerned that I didn't want an exhaust that was too loud or droned at highway speeds. Neither of these drones in a way that is very noticeable. If you get on the throttle sure there's more noise, but at about 60mph it's more of an increase in bass note but nothing that gives you a headache or sounds annoying ... when you're just cruising at constant speed there's almost no sound difference from stock. I do a lot of highway commuting as well so this kind of thing mattered to me. I ended up getting the Tanabe because it's like half the price of the Lexus HKS exhaust and virtually the same.
Old 07-05-07, 03:25 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by PMok
I'm with Javy. I've heard and been in an IS350 with both Tanabe and Lexus HKS exhausts. They sound VERY similar. I too was concerned that I didn't want an exhaust that was too loud or droned at highway speeds. Neither of these drones in a way that is very noticeable. If you get on the throttle sure there's more noise, but at about 60mph it's more of an increase in bass note but nothing that gives you a headache or sounds annoying ... when you're just cruising at constant speed there's almost no sound difference from stock. I do a lot of highway commuting as well so this kind of thing mattered to me. I ended up getting the Tanabe because it's like half the price of the Lexus HKS exhaust and virtually the same.
Thank you. This is exactly the info that I am looking for.

Anyone else???? I know there's a ton of y'all with the Tanabe or Lexus HKS.
Old 07-05-07, 04:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Mikesrx, what part of VA are you in? I'm in northern VA and would be happy to let you go for a spin in my car with the Tanabe. There is another local guy in the area with the Borla exhaust that sounds very nice as well.
Old 07-05-07, 04:56 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by caymandive
Mikesrx, what part of VA are you in? I'm in northern VA and would be happy to let you go for a spin in my car with the Tanabe. There is another local guy in the area with the Borla exhaust that sounds very nice as well.
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm in Hampton Roads....NOVA is like a different state to us j/k
Old 07-05-07, 05:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm in Hampton Roads....NOVA is like a different state to us j/k
LOL yeah I agree it does feel like NOVA is a different state.

Back on topic, I agree with the others so far. I too have heard and been in IS350's with Tanabe, Lexus HKS exhaust, HKS Exhaust and the Borla off-road. The Tanabe and the Lexus HKS definitely do sound similar, but for the price and the looks I would give it to the Tanabe exhaust if you were only choosing between the two. There really is very little drone at cruising speeds, no matter what speed you are going. Where the exhaust does have some drone is under slight engine load up hills, etc.

If I were to do exhaust again, I would go for the Borla. It actually sounds better than the Tanabe and the others and is priced relatively well. The only thing I would change is the tips as I'm not a fan of how it looks and fits.
Old 07-05-07, 12:13 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
If I were to do exhaust again, I would go for the Borla. It actually sounds better than the Tanabe and the others and is priced relatively well. The only thing I would change is the tips as I'm not a fan of how it looks and fits.
But for anyone reading this the Borla off-road does remove the cats. Just in case you want to keep it legit.
Old 07-05-07, 09:25 PM
is_elf
Driver

I have the HKS on my IS250 and just took it to LA...went anywhere from 70 to 85...but around town I often go about 50...and mine is not loud at all. I hear it the most from about 2300 or 2500 rpm's to 3000 then after that really do not notice it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question/help