Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

for $2K what mods give most hp bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 12:05 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't an axle-back exhaust pretty much the least effective way to drop weight anyways? I'm sure it still helps, but I wouldn't think that 20-lb shaving would be all that valuable since that is sprung weight directly over the rear tires, and at the very bottom of the car.
Old 07-10-07, 12:14 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Isn't an axle-back exhaust pretty much the least effective way to drop weight anyways? I'm sure it still helps, but I wouldn't think that 20-lb shaving would be all that valuable since that is sprung weight directly over the rear tires, and at the very bottom of the car.
I don't think any of the axle backs give you that kind of weight loss. You're right about the location though.
Old 07-10-07, 12:20 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could choose where I wanted to loose weight, it would definitely be up high, and toward the front. however, any weight loss is going to help. This car is a pig.
Old 07-10-07, 12:40 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

crap, meant to edit this post. double posted instead...
Old 07-10-07, 12:41 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
I always thought 3500 lbs for a RWD performance sedan (especially in this class) is just about "average". It's no S2000... but if it's a pig, what's a Bentley CGT, LS600h, Charger, or even a GTO, heh. (Yes, I know that's a pretty random list.)

LATE EDIT: I just remembered that the Bentley and LS are AWD... Oh well, point still stands.

Originally Posted by al503
I don't think any of the axle backs give you that kind of weight loss. You're right about the location though.
I've heard the Tanabe weighs anywhere between 12-20 lbs less than stock.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 07-10-07 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 12:45 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

This car is a pig for sure tipping the scale at over 3615lbs and we have yet to get more than about 15hp from the car with the aftermarket. Best thing we can do is work on weight loss and gearing. I can't believe we are consistently hitting 13's with it, right out of the box. LOL. For weight savings and to add some speed to the car for under $2000 I'd go with an exhaust first. You lose a few lbs, gain some nice sound and it typically looks good too. The Tanabe weighs 27lbs, 32.5lbs for HKS and 39lbs for the stock exhaust. The tire size that Gernby mentioned is also a sure way to gain some speed with the better gearing as a result of the lower profile. I think my next set of tires in the rear will also be 255/35/18. I've also been looking at getting a new after market lighter weight battery, but haven't decided yet, which one to go with. The front of the car like others have mentioned really is where we need to shed some lbs, but everything up front is pretty much essential. Other than these three mods, I can't recommend anything else and keep under the $2000 limit.

Exhaust $600
Rear tires $400
Battery: $120?

Approximate Total: $1120

Take the rest of the money and hit a driving school for a few sessions with professional instructors.

Last edited by caymandive; 07-10-07 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 08:02 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
This car is a pig for sure tipping the scale at over 3615lbs and we have yet to get more than about 15hp from the car with the aftermarket. Best thing we can do is work on weight loss and gearing. I can't believe we are consistently hitting 13's with it, right out of the box. LOL. For weight savings and to add some speed to the car for under $2000 I'd go with an exhaust first. You lose a few lbs, gain some nice sound and it typically looks good too. The Tanabe weighs 27lbs, 32.5lbs for HKS and 39lbs for the stock exhaust. The tire size that Gernby mentioned is also a sure way to gain some speed with the better gearing as a result of the lower profile. I think my next set of tires in the rear will also be 255/35/18. I've also been looking at getting a new after market lighter weight battery, but haven't decided yet, which one to go with. The front of the car like others have mentioned really is where we need to shed some lbs, but everything up front is pretty much essential. Other than these three mods, I can't recommend anything else and keep under the $2000 limit.

Exhaust $600
Rear tires $400
Battery: $120?

Approximate Total: $1120

Take the rest of the money and hit a driving school for a few sessions with professional instructors.
So after all the testing you've done on intakes have you determined the best setup is JoeZ with a Drop In K&N or HKS? Were you able to test the Injen intake? Im ready to buy an exhaust and I'm trying to find the optimal mix of go fast parts. I couldn't care less how it sounds (I dont need an intake to roar to make me feel good about my purchase), I just want the highest performing parts in the car. I know you've been at the forefront of the intake setups for quite some time so youre def the best person to ask.

Thanks!

P.S. This is for an IS350 (sport)
Old 07-11-07, 07:00 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
So after all the testing you've done on intakes have you determined the best setup is JoeZ with a Drop In K&N or HKS? Were you able to test the Injen intake? Im ready to buy an exhaust and I'm trying to find the optimal mix of go fast parts. I couldn't care less how it sounds (I dont need an intake to roar to make me feel good about my purchase), I just want the highest performing parts in the car. I know you've been at the forefront of the intake setups for quite some time so youre def the best person to ask.

Thanks!

P.S. This is for an IS350 (sport)
From what I have determined is that no drop in filter for the IS350 adds any power. I actually gained power by adding restriction on the intake! I removed the secondary emissions filter from the airbox lid and did a few pulls with an HKS drop in filter. For the hell of it I decided to put the emissions filter back in with the HKS and sure enough on a consistent basis my hp went back up 1hp. Removed the emissions filter again and sure enough the power dropped 1hp. Drop in filters should only be purchased for the convenience factor of being reusable and to not expect any gains with them or you just have money to burn. Keep that emissions filter in the airbox or you'll lose that 1hp. As for all the other non OEM based intakes, I'm fairly certain they all produce about the same type of power or lack of power, with the only exception being the K&N, which has a heat shield or sorts, but I'm sure it's not as effective as the well designed stock intake on this car.

Wanna go faster in this car? ...work on the exhaust and go on a diet and race on days with optimum weather conditions.
Old 07-16-07, 09:03 PM
newis350
Pole Position

thanks for all the responses!!!

After reading the thread about the R&D on the headers, I think I'm going to hold off on spending any money until I hear more about the headers!

approx 30 whp. I like.
Old 07-18-07, 12:15 PM
YouLose
Driver

Spray it
Old 07-18-07, 04:05 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

besides FI or nos, none of the bolt-on I/H/E mods will give anything signicant.