Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

for $2K what mods give most hp bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 10:30 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for $2K what mods give most hp bang for the buck?

I have $2K set aside to mod my is350. What mods do you think would give me the most bang for my buck? Would it be an injen or LMS intake (5-8 hp), borla exhaust (8-10 hp), and Club Lexus sticker (20 - 45 hp)?

Any thoughts on configuration? (i.e. type of exhaust, intake, etc..)
Old 07-07-07, 10:45 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you ONLY have 2k for mods, drop the car then go from there... you can just do a muffler swap and probally get the same hp as a more $$$ catback exhaust. Changing your lites and tint will give you more impact if you cant afford rims/tires. You can spend the 2k on intake and catback and get what...10hp... i wouldnt... go for looks since the 350 is pretty fast as is.

Sub/amp also needs to be considered.

tires are 1k and rims are... 2k and up.
Old 07-08-07, 05:57 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe Z all the way mang
Old 07-09-07, 12:29 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

2k you can't really get that much of a power. Drop in another 3k to get supper charge.
If I have 2k, I would definitely go for looks. Drop the car, get a set of rims, and save up money to get a supper charger.
Old 07-09-07, 01:36 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There isn't any FI for this car for less than $5K.
Old 07-09-07, 08:06 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I say for 2k go for a nice 2 day driver training course with the pros.
Old 07-09-07, 11:21 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

intake and hks exhaust and call it a day.
Old 07-10-07, 02:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Agreed. There is no better mod than a mod to the driver.
Old 07-10-07, 07:36 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
x2 or get a set of lightweight wheels and tires when your tires wear out. This will inarguably help your performance in many different regards including stopping distances, handling, acceleration, mpg, etc.
Old 07-10-07, 09:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
x2 or get a set of lightweight wheels and tires when your tires wear out. This will inarguably help your performance in many different regards including stopping distances, handling, acceleration, mpg, etc.
I would certainly consider new wheels for looks, but I think they are very high hanging fruit when it comes to performance on the street. The most I would recommend for performance only is swapping out the OEM rear tires with 255/35 - 18s to get the lower gearing.
Old 07-10-07, 10:10 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I would certainly consider new wheels for looks, but I think they are very high hanging fruit when it comes to performance on the street. The most I would recommend for performance only is swapping out the OEM rear tires with 255/35 - 18s to get the lower gearing.
Reducing unsprung, rotational weight is one of the best ways to increase the car's performance. The most often quoted ratio that I've seen is that 1 lb of unsprung rotational weight is worth 4 lbs of dead, curb weight.

I put on 18" forged volk wheels that weigh ~18 lbs (compared to the ~25 lb stockers.) The PS2's also weigh a couple lbs less than the stock dunlop sport maxx tires. IIRC, I was able to shave a little over 30 lbs.

As you mention, wheels definitely add to the aesthetics of the car. Why not kill as many birds as possible at the same time?
Old 07-10-07, 10:36 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

intake, exhaust, and take it to a really good shop for port and polish
Old 07-10-07, 11:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Reducing unsprung, rotational weight is one of the best ways to increase the car's performance. The most often quoted ratio that I've seen is that 1 lb of unsprung rotational weight is worth 4 lbs of dead, curb weight.

I put on 18" forged volk wheels that weigh ~18 lbs (compared to the ~25 lb stockers.) The PS2's also weigh a couple lbs less than the stock dunlop sport maxx tires. IIRC, I was able to shave a little over 30 lbs.

As you mention, wheels definitely add to the aesthetics of the car. Why not kill as many birds as possible at the same time?
I understand the physics, and I agree that they do increase performance. However, I just think that they are a small bang for the buck compared to other things, especially considering the price. I'm sure those Volks and PS2's were considerably more than $2K.

There are also quite a few cheap ways to remove weight. If the stock stereo is going to be left stock, then a small dry cell battery can shave 20 lbs for about $100. Another 20 lbs can easily be shaved from the exhaust for another ~$650 (remove 2nd cats and replace axle-back with Tanabe). There's several birds right there (weight, looks, sound, AND power).
Old 07-10-07, 11:30 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I understand the physics, and I agree that they do increase performance. However, I just think that they are a small bang for the buck compared to other things, especially considering the price. I'm sure those Volks and PS2's were considerably more than $2K.
They were but PS2's are only a $100-$200 more a set than the stockers. Unless one has tires that never wear out... You can also get good lightweight wheels for $2000-$2500. Mine were $2500.

There are also quite a few cheap ways to remove weight. If the stock stereo is going to be left stock, then a small dry cell battery can shave 20 lbs for about $100. Another 20 lbs can easily be shaved from the exhaust for another ~$650 (remove 2nd cats and replace axle-back with Tanabe). There's several birds right there (weight, looks, sound, AND power).
The battery is a no brainer if you can find one with the specs that are close to the stock battery. Most (if not all) of these lightweight batteries are lacking here.

The cat removal is questionable just based on the (il)legality issue (important to some and not to others) in addition to the personal preference in regards to the 'sound' for those who like it and the 'noise' to those who don't.
Old 07-10-07, 11:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

They were but PS2's are only a $100-$200 more a set than the stockers. Unless one has tires that never wear out... You can also get good lightweight wheels for $2000-$2500. Mine were $2500.

The battery is a no brainer if you can find one with the specs that are close to the stock battery. Most (if not all) of these lightweight batteries are lacking here.

The cat removal is questionable just based on the (il)legality issue (important to some and not to others) in addition to the personal preference in regards to the 'sound' for those who like it and the 'noise' to those who don't.
I don't disagree with anything you've stated. However, I don't think the 2IS needs as much battery as it has. My OEM S2000 battery went bad before it was 2 years old, and I replaced it with a tiny little Odyssey. That battery was bullet proof until I sold the car 2+ years later.

Quick Reply: for $2K what mods give most hp bang for the buck?