Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why am I losing power???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 04:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Were your dyno runs done in Snow Mode? You really have me curious about the power loss too. Only thing I can think of is maybe the combination of more air getting in the engine and less back pressure is causing the decrease. Since you appear to only have gained a small amt of power with the the K&N, why don' you pull that off and just stick with a proven power adder such as the exhaust. Every car has a magical combination of go-fast parts and perhaps you just have the wrong combo or that last dyno run was bogus and you just need to let your ECU adjust with the new mods before dyno testing again. Just a thought.
Old 07-17-07, 06:25 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is really weird about this. Your last run shows ~40 ft-lbs reduction at 4300 RPMs. That just can't be due to the exhaust.

Why did they do so many runs? What did the other runs look like?
Old 07-17-07, 08:10 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that if possible, you should try another run with the HKS, but this time with the stock intake.
Old 07-17-07, 08:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I agree that if possible, you should try another run with the HKS, but this time with the stock intake.
If he tests it again with the stock intake, and it shows better results, then he should test it with the intake again too. I still think it was a testing error, so I would hate to see everyone draw the conclusion that the combination of an intake and exhaust somehow caused huge losses when it was really just a bum test.

That brings up another thought. You said that the car was taken off the dyno while the exhuast was installed, right? It is possible that the car was not put on the dyno very well the 2nd time (at an angle, strapped down too hard, etc.), which can cause poor results. It could also be that the tests were done in different gears. Do you have the DynoJet runs files? If so, we can check the gearing.
Old 07-17-07, 08:32 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

caymandive, i did not dyno in snow mode. we left it in normal mode.
it has been 3 days and ive been driving around a lot but it still feels sluggish all the way thru the rpms. how long does it take for the ecu to adjust?

gernby, we made 3 passes per setup (stock, intake, then w/exhaust).
all the runs look similar for each setup....the last run with all parts we added an extra fan and that is what you see on the last run so i actually had lost more.

i was looking at my AFR and it looks off compared to the other runs but why would it change so much? i need gernby to come tune my car with his fancy gadgets.

i might go back this weekend and run it with the stock intake.
Old 07-17-07, 08:34 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

i asked the same question when i was at the dyno (is it strapped down correctly....is it lined up right?) but the problem is that my butt dyno feels the loss as well.
Old 07-17-07, 09:09 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If you used normal mode, then your dyno test was not done correctly. It should have been in ECT-snow to allow full throttle in 4th gear at 3K RPMs without downshifting, and the peak gear should have been set to 4th using the paddles. You should have also monitored the coolant temp to make sure it was consistent. If you go back for another test, please do at least one run with the car as it is now.
Old 07-17-07, 09:17 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

we didnt have a prob with it downshifting but we did set it to 4th gear.
the car may have been hotter but i doubt it cause it had time to cool off while we installed the exhaust. i will definitely try snow mode next time but i dont think it should make a difference since it is only to keep it from downshifting.

and 3 days later my butt dyno doesnt feel any better.
Old 07-17-07, 09:21 AM
Rickster31
Pole Position

Try uninstalling it, take it for a spin and see how it feels, then maybe re-install?
Old 07-17-07, 10:20 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people hate hearing it, but the "butt dyno" issues COULD very well be all in your head. Those actual dyno results were your placebo.

Hell, my car seems to feel different every other day that I get into it, but I know it's just me.

If you really are losing 20-30 ft-lbs of torque, I guess you would feel that... but again, I just can't believe that. We need more people to dyno this exhaust, heh.

EDIT: And what Rickster said brings up a point... If you dyno it again with the same results, then you might want to try re-installing the stock exhaust. If you get back the power you lost with stock, you might want to call HKS and see if it's possible you got a defective part and they can replace it.

I'm just throwing **** out there...

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 07-17-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-17-07, 10:32 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

i will put the stock intake back on tonite and see how the butt dyno feels and let u know tomorrow
Old 07-17-07, 10:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

So basically all the data on the dyno graph you posted should be dis-regarded to the left of 4500rpm. In this case it looks like you may just have had some kind of heat soak issue which brought down the numbers on your exhaust run. Also were you on the same dyno roller for the runs?
Old 07-17-07, 11:10 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

yep same dyno, same roller, same day, and the temp was pretty much the same. 1st session around 920am and the last @ 11am. Outside temp was @ 80-85 degrees.
Old 07-17-07, 11:13 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by iizzle3fiz
yep same dyno, same roller, same day, and the temp was pretty much the same. 1st session around 920am and the last @ 11am. Outside temp was @ 80-85 degrees.
And the mystery continues. As for the temps, they shouldn't' affect your dyno runs since SAE was used to correct for these variables.
Old 07-17-07, 11:25 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't it take the ecu a bit of time to learn it's new increased air flow coming in? I would dyno it again next week.

Quick Reply: Why am I losing power???