Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbocharging ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01, 08:17 AM
galntvr4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbocharging ...

Hello all...

I'm new to this board and Lexus' in general -- but I do own a brand spanking new IS300 5speed. Having owned an 11sec DSM, I'm very familiar with the ins and outs of turbocharging and have a few questions for those who have a knowledge base in forced induction on this board.

1) What is the maximum safe/reliable horsepower that this non-turbo Toyota motor can push out on stock internals and bumped down compression ratio (thicker headgasket)? Who has done this? What did it cost? What kind of engine managament was used? What kind of times were runned?

2) I'm aware of several companies that advestise turbo kits (Toyomoto, Powerhouse, PFS, XS). Do any of these vendors sell complete kits for the do-it-yourselfers.

3) Are there any issues w/the VVTI and force-feeding?

4) Are there any major issues with transplanting a turbo motor/ECU into the IS300? I'm mainly concerned with harness compatibility. Aside from Powerhouse and Ray Hall, has anyone else done this?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Old 12-24-01, 10:31 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

short answers here...
1- with a toyomoto head gasket the motor can take over 500 rwhp on stock everything....even cams....usally close to over 600 is even safe.
2- no do it yourself kits...and from what i know only toyomoto, XS and PHR are doing turbos....only toyomoto has them running correctly and shifting right at high HP levels...including there 606rwhp monster
3- vvti is an issue because timming can be very advanced at times and will cause detonation if not done right/.....if its done right it works great..
4- yes there are MAJOR complications with transplanting a 2jzgte motor.......ray bell did a is200 which has a completly different computer set up....as far as i know PHR hasnt done a swap yet into an is300....and from what i understand there using MOTEC to control it.....that ECU alone is 10k.....toyomoto stage 2 kit is about 15k installed including EVERYTHING ...even electronics like boost controller...exahust.....gauges..i mena everything....and will get you over 500 hp......

hope this helps..if you have more questions ill try to help out......and by the way....welcome to rear wheel drive fun...Jeff
Old 12-24-01, 11:19 AM
galntvr4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply Jeff ...

I'm familiar with the Haltech standalone, but I'm very concerned about keeping many of the creature comforts of the Lexus -- mainly AC, or any components which interact with the stock ECU. I'm also concerned about modifiying the vehicle in such a way that it remains a Lexus--that is, it isn't riced, hacked-up, or an eye-sore.

How many 500+ HP reliable Lexus IS300 has Toyomoto produced (via the thicker headgasket -- no engine fortification/rebuild) and do you have any pictures/references? Are any of the Toyomoto components built on an as needed basis? I am aware that most Haltech standalones do not use a knock sensor for detonation control. Does Toyomoto use a J&S unit? If not, how do they monitor knock?

I am mainly concerned about quality (I don't want a hack job -- I've seen plenty of those in NY), reliability (a VERY BIG concern--I don't want to have to buy a new engine every year), and turn-around time.

Looks like I have alot to learn about this car -- If ever you guys have any questions about modding DSMs (i.e. Talon, Eclipse, Laser, Galant VR-4), feel free to e-mail me. Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-24-01, 03:27 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

where to start here....there are a few in the 400 rwhp mark but thats is300...he has several sc300 which is the same motor as the is300 only with out vvti.....i have had my sc300 turboed for more than 2 years now and the car has 125k miles on it....i drive it every day and back and forth to NOPI every year with no problems....i change the plugs......oil.....and filters religiously and i have no issues.....
as far as creature comforts with the haltech....you will loose nothing by going to haltech....you keep cruise control....a/c power everything.....no issues..
as for lexus look...if you got to see the turbo magazine with the blue is300 on the cover and toyomotos black 606rwhp is300....you will see quality is job 1 with toyomoto ....they take there time and do each kit how the customer wants it....if you want to powdercoat the pipes blue....he will do it for you...if you want em black so they look stockish...he will do that too....to the uneducated eye you can barely tell a toyomoto car has been turbocharged because it looks like a factory install...VERY clean
from what i know i believe toyomoto uses the factory knock sensor...but a JnS is a possibility if you want one....im not posotive..ill get back to you next year on that one
i think i answered everything...these cars turboed are daily drive able....and will not blow motors unless they tell you only boost 20psi on pump gas and you turn it up to 30psi...then you might pop a motor..otherwise there SUPER STRONG...not to take a shot at DSMs but no crank walk on these motors
and toyomoto is super relaible and has never done a hack job....the guy is very meticilous..as far as turn around time...they can do the car in a couple weeks usally...depending on how much time in advance you give them to get the kit together.....if you have more questions feel free to ask....Jeff
Old 12-24-01, 05:01 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

damn jeff quick on the draw.......umm yeah what HE said...
Old 12-24-01, 08:21 PM
galntvr4
Driver School Candidate

Jeff,

I just checked out the write-up on the Black 606hp IS300. The install looks very clean (cleaner IMHO than many of the Powerhouse engine pics shots I've seen). The bottom end ofthat motor is built up pretty good -- was that really necessary? The turbocharger on that car is a T70 and it dynoed at 606rwhp @ 30psi. That's awesome, but isn't that a little on the low-end for that size turbocharger -- one of the guys around here recently dynoed w/his T61-equipped TT supra 624rwhp @ 29psi. His major mods include T61, APEX FMIX, VPC, fuel upgrade, AFC.

Looks like I might be giving Toyomoto a call sometime in the future. Thanks for the info Jeff -- and yes, crankwalk is one thing I can defnintely do without...

Miguel
'91 Galant VR-4 (parted out)
11.57@127mph
Old 12-25-01, 04:34 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

sorry Brian but this is where i usally step to the plate merry x-mas ...
the black one was built up on the bottom end because the customer wanted it that way........so lance did it for him...he also used nitrous on the car...so 30psi and nos ...the built bottom end wasnt a bad idea but not necissarly needed....
toyomoto is definitly top notch in quality.....
as for the power on the T70...these cars are not supras and also this is through an auto tranny....and a non locked up torque converter...with a locked converter the numbers would have soared......probally close to 700.........so its alot of the same but different......supras make hp easier than these cars...but its hella fun to have a lexus that flys...trust me...its never expected....also you can do a 6speed in ur car pretty"Easily"....toyomoto is working on that right now.......
also i might be going to a T70 on my 6spd..so mabye i can get some better numbers on it..but shh dont tell anyone....also you will definitly not have any crank walk on this motor.....if ya got more questions shoot them at me....so far im looking into the knock sensor issue.....anything else?.....Jeff
Old 12-25-01, 09:22 AM
galntvr4
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I overlooked that -- the automatic tranny (w/no lock-up) would certainly transmit less power to the wheels. Here are some more questions -- what are the differences between the turbo cylinder head and NA unit? Will a turbo head bolt up to the 2jz-ge and work? Has anyone done this? What are the differences between the units? Do both heads flow the same? (This can be another spot where the TT motor outperforms the NA). How does the VVT-i work? Are the pistons in the NA motor cast or forged? What HP level is the stock clutch on a 5sp IS300 good for?
Old 12-26-01, 05:48 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

N/A head has larger more circular head ports while the TT head has smaller more oval shaped ports.....a few of the big dawgs like vinniy ten actually use the n/a because of this...so it would not be a good idea to swap heads.....
VVTI just adjusts timming on the fly.....advances and retards it at different points in the RPM band...it works by adjusting the intake camshaft wjich affects the cam position sensor....i dont know what it does at what points...but it works well....
the pistons in the n/a motor are cast like the tt pistons...just pinned for a different compression ration...these are VERY strong pistons and with lower compression are very capable of 600plus hp..as for stock clutch....300rwhp is pushing it....and the tranny has been known to blow with as little as 440 rwhp...i personally killed 4 5spd trannys before i went to the bullet proof 6spd...wish i would have done it in the 1st place......more questions?.....go for it...Jeff
Old 12-26-01, 06:09 PM
ineedblownIS300
Driver School Candidate

Talking You guys are my heros...

I've been on this board for about 6 months - just lurking around trying to see if an IS300 is really what I want to buy (no, I don't even own an IS300). Brian, I've been waiting on your results in particular because I want to see how the monster comes out. What I'd be happy with is 300rwhp (turbo or s/c) and , like you galntvr4, reliability is an absolute must. I mean let's face it, the stock IS300 is pretty weak power wise. I am waiting for other products like TRD or to see if there's a place that's local (Atlanta) that could do some work for me. But I must confess, I went to the BMW dealership the other day - man the M3 is looking pretty good. A friend of mine has a 2001 and it is fast. I'm going to wait a few more months then make a decision.

In the meantime, the 3 of you continue to document your pursuit-of-speed progress, I'll be reading.

Dave
Old 12-27-01, 04:19 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

although brian is a great guy he is getting boned.....he didnt have his car for months with hopes of having a 500plus rwhp monster with what he was told would be stock ECUs with piggyback computers....i dont know exactly how long it was but after finaaly getting his car back its at under 300rwhp and dosent shift right.......xs engineering made a turbo car the sounded good on the dyno but also wouldnt shift correctly at higher hp...both companies are now forced to goto standalone ECU s to try to get the cars to run right.......Toyomoto has been doing there turbo is300s for about a year now with no issues...the cars run incredibly...shift perfect..and make big hp........if your looking at an M3...ill make a comparison......yes i will admit i like the M3 .....but BMW reliability is ****ty compared to a lexus....i know guys with 98 beemers in the shop for A/c repairs and broken window motors......i have never seen this on a lexus.......the M3 costs around 50k right......if you bought a is300 for 30k and spent 10.5k on a stage 1.5 turbo installed at toyomoto..youd have a 340 rwhp lexus on pump gas that could drive every day like that and save 10k and be SPANKING M3s all day.....that is300 will have over 400hp at the motor.....that will be some serious fun......and as for TRD.....i dont see them making a S/C for the is300......but IF they did..i promise it will not ever make 300hp to the wheels....mabye 250 but not 300........
also there will be another is300 turbo comming out of toyomoto that should be really nice......from what i understand he will post about the car and let you know what he thinks.....mabye it will help your decision?........if ya got more questions feel free to ask....ill try to help as much as possible....Jeff
Old 12-27-01, 06:53 AM
galntvr4
Driver School Candidate

Looking at the engine pics of the 606hp monster, it looks like there are substantial differences between the NA and turbo intake manifold. Apparently, on the NA intake manifold, the IC piping comes in from the right-side of the motor, whereas th epiping on a TT comes in from the left side. I know that the exhaust side of both heads are substantially different. What about the intake side. I guess what I'm asking is will a TT intake manifold bolt onto a NA head and what are the differences in the throttle body? Do you know what diameter the TB's are?

The article says that the car boasts 2-1/2 IC piping. IMHO, this is too small for 606HP and is probably a very big restriction. I know that in the DSM world -- switching to 3" IC piping from 2-1/2" piping on high HP cars (450HP+) netted gains of approximately 30 RWHP or so. Have any of the supra guys or turbo IS guys experimented with extrude-honing the intake manifold and/or cylinder head? I guess I'm trying to apply some of the standard DSM upgrades to the 2JZ-GE. Is Toyomoto developing a twin-turbo manifold (for bolting on HKS 2835's).

Jeff, I'd like hear more about that IS coming out of Toyomoto.

Lots and lots to learn. :-)
Old 12-27-01, 10:31 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i must have misinturpereted<sp> the questions somehow.......
the n.a manifold and tt manifold on the intake side are totaly different as well as the n/a vs tt exahust manifold..they do not swap with each other at all..there different bolt patterens...the throttle bodies are totaly different..both are about the same size..approx 65mm.
as for piping....the 2 1/2 in flows just fine and switching to 3in makes things alot more crampped and you have pressure loss and greater lag time....the car is making the 606rwhp with no problems....the piping is really not an issue.....if it is flowing 606 with an unlocked converter id say there no loss of power.....due to the pipes......i have 2 1/2 on mine and im not swapping.....
there are some people that have extruedhoned the intakes..i dont know about heads....but for that you have toyomoto build you a custom intake and 75mm TB.....the head and intake flow pretty damn well stock...although above 650 hp you might want to look for a intake and TB...but as for the head..it flows fine....might only add cams for more HP....as for the twins...theres no room in the is300 for that and the hp you can make with a single has been enough for any customers so far...but if you wanna pay you can play Jeff
Old 12-27-01, 11:38 PM
IS300M
Driver

Jeff, I have a '02 5spd MT IS300, do u think I'd need a 6spd if I went with a toyomoto stage 1.5 or 2 turbo kit? Or would I just need a better clutch?
Old 12-28-01, 04:31 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

from my experience<4 dead 5spd trannys> anything over 400-420-to the rear wheels was pushing the tranny...others have had luck around 450-480 rear wheel and havent popped trannys....my car is also heavier than the is300 so there might be less load on the tranny..might hold better in the 450+ range.....if you want to do it right and you got the cash i say DEFINITLY go 6spd.....its a bullet proof tranny ...and heck its a 6spd...i mean how cool is that?...lol...if you do stay with 5spd you will need a heavy duty clutch......part of the problem with the 5spd is that it has a smaller clutch than the 6spd.....i actually had a pressure plate blow up on my car..<at the track...19psi....slicks and a welded rear end>....ooops.....so if ya got the cash to do it ...i say go 6speed....a stage 1.5 will get ya around 340 rwhp on pump gas....the 5spd should handle that fine....but going to stage 2....your gonna wanna consider the 6spd.......

Quick Reply: turbocharging ...