Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers from ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 04:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3 pull session rate is about 1/3 what I've been paying in TX, and the hourly rate is about 1/2.
Old 07-27-07, 04:37 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you could ship your car here and have it dynoed for a lot less than what you're paying in good ol' Texas... But then again, you're going to have to do a crapload of pulls before it becomes cost effective!

I didn't know it cost that much. So that's about $75 for 3 and between $100 and $120 per hour? Ouch!!!
r
The way I see it, if it puts a smile on your face, it's a good run. We have a couple of tracks as well. I guess they're cheap also. Unlimited runs for about $7 a night on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Time slips, Christmas tree lights, announcers, ambulance and everything.

Gas is generally cheaper here than in the mainland as well.
Old 08-05-07, 09:31 AM
sdpq
Driver

i commend you for taking the step before everyone else, any updates??? did you at least receive it yet and how does it look (if you got it)

please keep us updated, thanks.
Old 08-05-07, 10:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Interesting. Supra turbo manifolds are typically 1 5/8" primaries with a T-4 flange on the collector. 1 3/4" sounds really big, even for a 500cc cylinder. It would really be helpful to know the size of the exhaust ports at the head.

Pics of the inside of the collector are the most important. The welds on the outside are meaningless to horsepower. The merge zone of the collector on the inside is everything.

Despite what many are claiming here, I seriously doubt the cats are a big restriction in this set up. I've seen lots of cars with cats put down big numbers, and I've even seen some setups lose power when the cats were removed. Don't assume it's going to be better without cats.
Old 08-09-07, 06:04 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

The headers are in!!! They took long enough to arrive, though. I don't know what the delay was, since the seller shipped them right away. Anyhow, they're already here.

They arrived well packaged, but they don't look exactly as they are represented in the picture found on the auction page. I believe it is possible their picture may have been swiped from the Megan Racing product:

Megan Racing product picture: http://www.meganracing.com/uploadIma...DSC02975x8.jpg

Picture of Generic Headers from EB Stores on eBay: http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...TPHDLI2506.gif

I'm taking several photos at this moment and will be posting them shortly. The parts seem to be of good quality and the welds seem good to me. Then again, I'm no welder. The short sections (collectors?) are completely different from what is pictured. The sections I received are fatter. They seem to be some kind of resonator or something. I'm including photos of the insides as well.

What concerns me is that the description states that there are 2 adapters included to change the route of the dipstick. These were not included. The product description also states that there are installation instructions included. These were not included in my package either.

If anyone has any specific information on how the dipstick is supposed to be re-routed, please post. I also expect that will attempt to relocate the O2 sensor instead of trying to fool the ECU with an O2 sensor emulator.

Is there a write-up on how to do this? Does anyone know how complicated it is to do this mod? Can it be done at any muffler shop? Any info will be of great help.

I'm e-mailing the seller at this moment, but I suspect that the seller will treat it as a moot point. That is, if he even understands my question, which seems somewhat unlikely to me at this point. I'm assuming this from previous e-mail communications I've had with the seller.

The product description looks like it was taken right from the Megan Racing page:

Megan Racing product description: http://www.meganracing.com/demo/prod...d=466&catid=67

eBay product description: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Maybe they forgot to counterfeit the adapters and the instructions as well.

Last edited by caribmon71; 08-09-07 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 06:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures! Thanks for giving us the update!

Relocating the secondary O2 sensors is really simple for a muffler shop. They will just plug the stock bungs that currently house them, and weld new bungs behind the secondary cats. Then you or they need to extend the OEM wire harnesses for the OEM sensors by a couple feet.
Old 08-09-07, 06:42 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

A couple of feet worries me. Where do I get a longer wiring harness?
Old 08-09-07, 07:06 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

I also noticed that the images on both, the Megan Racing and eBay, pages contain two different sized, silver screws (or what appear to be screws). A long one and a short one. These were not included. Could these be the adapters for re-routing the oil dipstick?

There is also a difference with the included gaskets. On the image for both headers, there are 3 distinct pair of gaskets. My order included one large pair of gaskets for the manifold part and, instead of a pair of oval (see image) gaskets, I received 4 oval gaskets. I did not receive any of the round gaskets pictured in the image of the headers. There were two pictured for both types of headers.

This may be due to the short sections of the headers being different. Those small sections have the sheet inside with all the perforations. Is this a resonator or some type of pre-muffler?

Is it possible that these small sections are the ones that substitute the cats? I don't know what the cats are supposed to look like because I haven't gotten under my car yet. Do I have the option of just installing the headers without the smaller sections and keeping the cats installed? If so, what might be possible outcomes of doing this?

I'll get the images up as soon as possible. They're about 36 in all. Is that too much to post here?

Last edited by caribmon71; 08-09-07 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 08:15 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Here go the photos. Since there are many, I don't know how long they will be viewable for, since I've got the free version of photobucket. My viewing bandwidth is limited.

One other thing, if a lot of the photos look like repeats, generally, they're not. I just took pictures of every opening on both ends on both parts.

I'll include the rest on my next post. I'm limited to only 10 images.

I'm thinking that they look a lot better on the outside than they do on the inside. They're not 100% smooth inside. I can see a weld where the pipe tapers down. That weld probably needed to be smoothed down. I think that where the 3 pipes converge, the area seems kind of sloppy.

I've never looked at another set of headers in detail, so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. What are those "bungs" for on the manifolds?

I guess you get what you pay for. I paid less than $200 for these. I'd like opinions please. Install or don't install???

Thanks!
Old 08-09-07, 08:16 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

More pics:

Old 08-09-07, 08:17 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Still some more:

Old 08-09-07, 08:18 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

The last of them!

By the way, ENJOY!!!
Old 08-10-07, 05:09 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

They don't look all that bad to me, but there really weren't any good pictures of the important parts. Would you please measure the diameter of the primaries and collectors?

Last edited by Gernby; 08-10-07 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-10-07, 05:11 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just noticed the last set of pictures ... man those collectors look like ***! I would still give them a shot though!
Old 08-10-07, 07:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Looks like the typical "made in Thailand" headers. Weld penetration on the flange is poor, so I would expect they'll crack sooner than later. Collector construction is very poor, but not the worst I've seen.

It's really unfortunate they put all the effort into the exterior welds. If they focused on getting the inside right, it wouldn't matter what the outside looks like. Unfortunately this piece is designed and executed for the bling crowd, not the real performance crowd.

Quick Reply: Headers from ebay