Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Plan.....Turbo Bound

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 12:10 PM
DemonIS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5g's for turbo-ing an IS3 is an understatement. 5g's if you are doing everything yourself with no help from shops. 5g's for all the parts + another couple of grand for tuning and installing + endless amount of money for maintainence and upgrading and fixing stuff that breaks along the way. Turbo-ing a NA car is very costly especially a lexus. This isn't a typical honda where you can rechipped the ECU to boost. You can't chip a IS3 ecu, and the stock IS3 ecu actually relearn the fuel curve so if you are running a piggy back, you have to get a black box so it reset the ecu everything you turn off the car. Either that or go standalone ecu. Lastly, tuning can make or break your car, you have to find a person that is really good at tuning and knows alot about the IS3. Try PFS, or SRT for install and tuning and turbo kit prices. I would say turboeast but they are shutting down. Either that or but a turboeast kit and go to MY.IS forums and talk to malek or sophie and they can probably do the install and tuning for your car for price
Old 08-21-07, 01:26 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

i c......seems like so many options. i wish i could have them install it, but i live all the way in iowa, and i dont think they're any good tuning shops around here. but i'll keep lookin seing whats good for specifically my year and AT. sorry to go off track but im also thinkin of s/c, but most likely gonna go t/c. Just wanna kno what you guys think for an 01 auto....(also my daily driver). but i do love turbos, haha
Old 08-21-07, 03:01 PM
willyis300
Rookie

Originally Posted by MisterCam
true.....but 10k would take me a long time, lol i mean i know i gotta save up for a while, but my cousin who builds/sells cars is going to help me out on building my car. he used to have the fastest s4 out here in iowa, but thne he sold it. Yeah i wanna go with the SRT kit but im nto sure, and the turboeast i wanna kno prices on the s444 kit. My cousin says we could turbo my car for bout 3gs seem kinda skeptical to me, but we'll see what happens. Still lookin into other kits in the mean time.

3gs ^^:lol: good luck with that.

I dont mean to burst your bubble. Its great to have goals. But how long will it take you, You being 16 and all, to save up anything over 5gs? Cuz thats reallity.

If you have a 5spd tranny(w55) it will only hold somewhere around 300rwhp safely. You go anymore above that and your pushing your luck.
With a safe tune you could run somewhere around 430rwhp safely on the stock bottom end.

Going back to the money thing. I can tell you i have over 15k in my set-up. Turboing the IS3 the right way is not a cheap thing to do. This car is no civic. And its not a factory twin turbocharged S4 either like your cousins. Where you can just slap bigger turbos, I/C and new EMS/or chip and call it a day.

If you really want to go through with it and your parents approve of it Then my advice is to buy a good used kit. And ive actually got one of my good friends that is selling his kit pretty soon. You can be the first to contact him. Cuz used kits go fast over on my.is.
PM him on my.is his screen name is 300iss.

Tell him bgwilly referred you.

Last edited by willyis300; 08-21-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 03:06 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i c......seems like so many options. i wish i could have them install it, but i live all the way in iowa, and i dont think they're any good tuning shops around here. but i'll keep lookin seing whats good for specifically my year and AT. sorry to go off track but im also thinkin of s/c, but most likely gonna go t/c. Just wanna kno what you guys think for an 01 auto....(also my daily driver). but i do love turbos, haha
You answered you own questions with the above quote: ....(also my daily driver). If this is your daily driver save the money and do it right the first time. If you do not then you will end up having your car constantly being fixed for things that break and eventually you will have a car that you will want to sell and you will also hate it. Do it right the first time.
Old 08-21-07, 07:50 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

yeah, i got a job that pays me about 700/month and if i take some out of that it's gonna take me about a year to save up 6gs, i already know doing all this isnt gonna be any time soon. I am just looking into what would be best for my car when i do have the money. (used kit) like ***** said. i'll look into your friends used kit, but i doubt he'll save it for me while i get the money, if its what i wanted.
Old 08-21-07, 08:08 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

If you really want to go through with it and your parents approve of it Then my advice is to buy a good used kit. And ive actually got one of my good friends that is selling his kit pretty soon. You can be the first to contact him. Cuz used kits go fast over on my.is.
PM him on my.is his screen name is 300iss.
hey i tried to pm your friend but it said there was no user by that name.
Old 08-22-07, 12:59 PM
willyis300
Rookie

Really no use in PMing if you dont have the money.

But his SN is 300iss like i posted before

When i was 16 i would have been plenty happy with the stock speed of an IS300. IMO most 16yr olds dont need anything faster than that.

Stick do DIY mods. And some exterior mods as the money from your job rolls in.
Old 08-22-07, 02:03 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willyis300
Really no use in PMing if you dont have the money.

But his SN is 300iss like i posted before

When i was 16 i would have been plenty happy with the stock speed of an IS300. IMO most 16yr olds dont need anything faster than that.

Stick do DIY mods. And some exterior mods as the money from your job rolls in.
Good advice for a 16 year old. I know I got into trouble at that age in a car.
Old 08-22-07, 06:44 PM
m3thod
Driver School Candidate

yeah, i got a job that pays me about 700/month and if i take some out of that it's gonna take me about a year to save up 6gs, i already know doing all this isnt gonna be any time soon. I am just looking into what would be best for my car when i do have the money. (used kit) like ***** said. i'll look into your friends used kit, but i doubt he'll save it for me while i get the money, if its what i wanted.
Don't rush into trying to pay off a turbo kit. Save up your money first cause you will need alot more than just the kit. You will do yourself a huge favor by listening to everyone's advice....it can't be stressed enough and people still try to boost cheaply which usually ends up in a blown motor. Boosted IS's are alot more common than they use to be which is great for us because we can learn from their experiences. You can find more than you could probably ever read in the "Go Faster" section on my.is
Old 08-22-07, 10:46 PM
jas300hp
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Guys all this talk about Turbo. Does anyone know about Superchargers? All I really want is to have at less 300hp or close to it. Is that possible For a Daily driving? Also what is the difference between SAFC and e-manage.

Mods in Mind:Tanabe Concept G, Joe Z intake, OBX Headers “CARB exempt” I think! and Greddy e-Manage Ultimate EMS. SO far.. and I have about $1700 to spend. What do you guys think??
Old 08-23-07, 02:41 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

alright, im just gonna slowly work up some dough for the turbo, but yeah the lil mods are for sure. i just got my subs in today, and im lookin at the 5zigen sc3000 glossy black 19's, the rod millen body kit and not sure on what exhaust, also suspension. all slowly working up for that tuuuuurrrrboooooo!, haha