Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Plan.....Turbo Bound

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 11:36 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Plan.....Turbo Bound

OK, so ive been talkin and askin all these questions about parts and what not for my NA is300. But tonight i met a guy w/ a turbocharged rx7, and i fell in love, haha. So now im deciding on dropping all the plans that i have for keeping my car na and start saving up for a turbo. (Sorry Apex, i know ive been chattin away w/ all those questions....lol) And now im wondering, is the SRT Stage 2.75 turbo good for how much it is? Is there any other type of turbo kit that cost less and is more powerful, or any other good turbo kit in general?
Old 08-01-07, 03:45 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MisterCam
OK, so ive been talkin and askin all these questions about parts and what not for my NA is300. But tonight i met a guy w/ a turbocharged rx7, and i fell in love, haha. So now im deciding on dropping all the plans that i have for keeping my car na and start saving up for a turbo. (Sorry Apex, i know ive been chattin away w/ all those questions....lol) And now im wondering, is the SRT Stage 2.75 turbo good for how much it is? Is there any other type of turbo kit that cost less and is more powerful, or any other good turbo kit in general?
Cool, hope you have deep pockets. You can't just slap on a turbo without tons of other work.
Old 08-01-07, 04:54 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There can be many issues with turboing the IS300 and they all seem to start and end with the temptation to turn up the boost. If you do this from what I am told without building the motor properly you will have trouble with the motor, transmission, and rearend. I have done research on this about a year ago and that is what I have been told from SRT. It is a nice mod to do but you have to be smart when you are on the road. Do not abuse it or you will loose it.
Old 08-01-07, 11:50 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

ok....ill rethink this idea then
Old 08-02-07, 06:14 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

You are misunderstanding what we are telling you. What we are saying is that is a great idea but it is a costly one to do it right. If you are going to do it then do it right. I would hate to see someone do it and not know what they are getting into then hurt their car. Make sure you do it right.
Old 08-02-07, 06:36 AM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Do your research, then decide. Take some time to really look into ALL aspects of the project.
Old 08-02-07, 11:41 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

true, after actually thinking about it, a yr and then some is a long *** time to wait and save, especially for me being only 16, im prolly just gonna do what i can n/a wise until i grad and get a good job to be able to pay for extra stuff. but in the mean time ill just get a srt intake w/ a n1 exhasut, sorry for the waste of a topic. another thing to wait is cause idk a good tungin place in ia, so yeah.
Old 08-03-07, 05:38 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

true, after actually thinking about it, a yr and then some is a long *** time to wait and save, especially for me being only 16, im prolly just gonna do what i can n/a wise until i grad and get a good job to be able to pay for extra stuff. but in the mean time ill just get a srt intake w/ a n1 exhasut, sorry for the waste of a topic. another thing to wait is cause idk a good tungin place in ia, so yeah.
It is not a waste of a topic or time. That is what a forum is for.
Old 08-13-07, 01:38 AM
MisterCam
Rookie

yeah, so i became friends with guys who work on cars and have connections and what not. so the turbo is a forsure thing, any of you guys know of a reasonable priced kit. cause i dont think the ebay kit will do any good, lol. I've been searching and these kits are really pricy. Not tryna ask you guys to do my searching just asking if you guys could help or if ya'll alraedy kno. thanks.
Old 08-13-07, 08:30 PM
RevrseAt70
Driver School Candidate

I've been having having similar thoughts about the SRT turbo kit. It is sopposed to be very effective and reliable, but pricy. BernieIS is right, just because the turbo is reliable and built efficiantly, the engine and drivetrain may still be at risk. That's why I am also hesitant.

I would love to know what kind of turbo TSoprano on youtube is running. If you get a chance look at that guys IS, its insane!

What might you need to do to help an engine and drivetrain perform better and safer, with a turbo. I've heard a lot of people say converting to a supra tranny is a smart decision because those trannies are bullet-proof.
Old 08-13-07, 11:17 PM
MisterCam
Rookie

yeah...true. TSoprano, i've alraedy seen his sick *** videos. One of my favorites would be his race against the TT 350z, lol no competition, but yeah love his car too. but, yeah we need to research more and keep each other posted bout this.
Old 08-19-07, 05:27 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

I would buy the SRT 2.75 stage kit, hands down. Talk about bang for your buck.
Old 08-21-07, 07:32 AM
m3thod
Driver School Candidate

If you have money now turboeast might still have some of their kits on sale since they have closed shop.

I wouldn't dive into a turbo install with under $10k in hand. Have to hope for the best but plan for the worst. Chances are you will need to replace something you didn't plan to.
Old 08-21-07, 09:19 AM
MisterCam
Rookie

true.....but 10k would take me a long time, lol i mean i know i gotta save up for a while, but my cousin who builds/sells cars is going to help me out on building my car. he used to have the fastest s4 out here in iowa, but thne he sold it. Yeah i wanna go with the SRT kit but im nto sure, and the turboeast i wanna kno prices on the s444 kit. My cousin says we could turbo my car for bout 3gs seem kinda skeptical to me, but we'll see what happens. Still lookin into other kits in the mean time.
Old 08-21-07, 09:54 AM
m3thod
Driver School Candidate

the amount of people that have turbo'd their car for under 5g's and were happy with it is few and far between.

from what I have read on the my.is forums in the go faster section you can save some money buying a used kit or piecing one together, but if you get around 300 whp on a 3k setup you are just going to want more. That means upgraded / new tranny and replacing parts that you just paid for on the initial turbo setup. Also another huge part of boosting an IS is getting it tuned by someone that knows what they are doing. There have been many horror stories in that department. Everyone's advice seems to be to do it right the first time so there is a chance you will be happy with it for longer

Quick Reply: New Plan.....Turbo Bound