Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Im New! with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 10:01 AM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im New! with questions

Ok so allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Evan i live in Atlanta GA and i work for a large used car dealership chain, Where i am a detailer. Not a glorious job if you have ever ridden with someone who doesn't clean their car thats most of what i deal with.

Anyway my question is and forgive me I'm new to 2jz and Toyota engines for that matter. When doing a 2jz gte swap into a 98 gs300 such as i have.What is preventing you from getting the non vvt-i complete engine and mating it with the vvt-i head of the ge engine and stock gs300 5 spd tranny? So all you would be using on the swap is the bottom end of the engine and the turbos?

Evan
Old 08-02-07, 12:14 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll let the more knowledgable members attack this one. lol. Welcome to CL btw!!!
Old 08-02-07, 12:52 PM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

^^ Thanks for the welcome, Im just wondering the the easiest way to stay emissions legal and i really want to keep my 5spd auto.
Old 08-02-07, 10:08 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Quicksil
Ok so allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Evan i live in Atlanta GA and i work for a large used car dealership chain, Where i am a detailer. Not a glorious job if you have ever ridden with someone who doesn't clean their car thats most of what i deal with.

Anyway my question is and forgive me I'm new to 2jz and Toyota engines for that matter. When doing a 2jz gte swap into a 98 gs300 such as i have.What is preventing you from getting the non vvt-i complete engine and mating it with the vvt-i head of the ge engine and stock gs300 5 spd tranny? So all you would be using on the swap is the bottom end of the engine and the turbos?

Evan
The non vvti gte head is different than the vvti gte head. The flanges are different and the intake and exhaust accessories dont bolt up. Also the non vvti gte motor uses different ecu and wiring. The stock ge 5spd wont hold the power for very long. If you just want to use the bottom end then do an na-t setup (turbo the stock motor).
Old 08-03-07, 10:39 AM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twojayzee
The non vvti gte head is different than the vvti gte head. The flanges are different and the intake and exhaust accessories dont bolt up. Also the non vvti gte motor uses different ecu and wiring. The stock ge 5spd wont hold the power for very long. If you just want to use the bottom end then do an na-t setup (turbo the stock motor).
Ya know ive done a halfway install like this before and it didnt turn out so well so i think i will just take anyones advice and just do the swap and not try to be cheap about it i dont want to have stuff breaking or tranny gears melting.
Old 08-05-07, 11:06 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he is asking why you can't take a GTE bottom end and mate it with the stock GS vvt-i head. You can do that just fine, it will bolt right up. I've probably done 20 of them. Use a Supra TT headgasket when you do the swap. Your tranny will be the weak point but with a tranny cooler and not abusing it, it should last decently up till around 400whp.
Old 08-06-07, 07:29 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
I think he is asking why you can't take a GTE bottom end and mate it with the stock GS vvt-i head. You can do that just fine, it will bolt right up. I've probably done 20 of them. Use a Supra TT headgasket when you do the swap. Your tranny will be the weak point but with a tranny cooler and not abusing it, it should last decently up till around 400whp.
But he wants to use the stock tt turbos and that would require the tt ecu and hardware.
Old 08-06-07, 04:43 PM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

But he wants to use the stock tt turbos and that would require the tt ecu and hardware.
what would be the issue with using the twin turbos and the manifold and a fuel controller.

the setup would be
Stock gs vvt-i head
Gte longblock
gte turbos and intake mani
stock 5spd auto tranny
gte injectors
custom charge pipes and front mount
Apex-i afc neo
walbro 255lph fuel pump
Leaving anything out?

I will leave the engine and exhaust stock for a awhile i think it will be happy with the 320 hp compared to the stock power i have now.

Evan
Old 08-06-07, 04:52 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

My point is just that the non vvti GTE intake and exhaust manifolds dont bolt up to a na vvti head.
Old 08-06-07, 05:11 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My point is just that the non vvti GTE intake and exhaust manifolds dont bolt up to a na vvti head.
This is correct, if you wanted to use the Gte block with the N/A vvti head, you need to use everything associated with the N/A head. Nothing from the GTE motor will fit on the N/A head, you would re-use your intake manifold and would have to source a turbo manifold (which means you would have to go single turbo as you couldnt use the stock twins) that would work with the N/A head. The upside to doing this is you could run your stock ecu with some sort of quality piggyback and you would have the benefit of the stronger GTE block.
Old 08-06-07, 06:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of NA-T people go with that route(GE head+GTE block) if they don't want to go all out hardcore for a full GTE(head/block) swap. There are 2 basic things to keep in mind for block fitment on the 2JZ series of motors...that is if the motor is a GTE or GE. Wether or not the motor has VVT-i or not does not matter in terms of block fitment...only determining factor is if the motor is GTE or GE.

The blocks are interchangeable.
GE head + GTE block = OK. It's the most commonly used combo for those who want a stronger bottom end.
GTE head + GE block = OK. I'm just saying it will work, but I doubt anyone would want to mate a weaker bottom end to their car.

Next item of business is the intake and exhaust manifold.
The block has nothing to do with what intake/exhaust manifold. VVTi or not has nothing to do with fitment. Once again all you need to keep in mind if it's a GTE or GE head. Intake/exhaust manifolds for the GTE and GE are NOT interchangeable. The bolt pattern is different.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion...or maybe it made you more confused?
Old 08-09-07, 05:49 PM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

So do i have this right?
Im going to do the swap instead of the na-t

• IMPORTED FROM JAPAN
• Make: Toyota
• Engine Code: 2JZ-GTTE (VVT-I) Twin turbo
• Year: 94 +
• Valve Train: DOHC
• Transmission: Automatic
• Mileage: Approximately 25-35 Thousand Miles
• Condition: Best
• Included: Complete Motor
Complete Head & Block
Distributor, Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold, Alternator
Power Steering Pump
Fuel Rail, Injectors
Throttle Body, Starter
Automatic Transmission, Starter
Twin Turbo

all of that plus
walbro pump
afc neo notice it does not include ecu ^
and front mount intercooler which i will have mah davi motorsports do the pipes for...

am i missing anything?

keep in mind i want it to be stock for the first little while
Old 08-09-07, 07:38 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 98Quicksil
So do i have this right?
Im going to do the swap instead of the na-t
............afc neo notice it does not include ecu ^
and front mount intercooler which i will have mah davi motorsports do the pipes for...

am i missing anything?

keep in mind i want it to be stock for the first little while
(minor thing)The GTE motors dont use distributors.
You'll need the ecu for that motor.
You'll need to fab some kind of connection for the downpipe to exhaust on you car.
Old 08-10-07, 10:53 AM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

(minor thing)The GTE motors dont use distributors.
You'll need the ecu for that motor.
You'll need to fab some kind of connection for the downpipe to exhaust on you car.
i didn't think the 2jz-ge engine used a distributor i thought that the ignition system is the same on both the ge and gte?
Old 08-10-07, 11:17 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

2JZ-GE non-VVTI = Distributor setup
2JZ-GE VVTI = Coil on plug distributorless wasted spark setup
2JZ-GTE ALL Motors = Coil on plug distributorless direct spark setup

Also, you will need the ecu from that engine unless you plan on splicing in your stock ecu and running a standalone(which is actually the route I'm planning to take).

Quick Reply: Im New! with questions