Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Warranty Void?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 03:29 AM
V23rd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warranty Void?

Hi, I just recently bought a 2002 IS300 and I was talking to my friend about performance parts such as exhaust etc. He told me that when he added performance parts to his vehicle and the dealership that he purchased his truck at voided his waranty. I'm also worried because I read the forum pertaining to check engine lights and oxygen sensors and I'm hoping that you guys could help me choose the correct parts that will give me good performance but allow me to keep my warranty and also prevent difficulties with the check engine light. Any information would be great.

I'm currently looking into getting:

Headers
Exaust
Cold air intake

Thanks for your time.

Also... Would it be worth it to change my cam gears, and has anyone had any difficulties with that?

Last edited by V23rd; 08-13-07 at 03:32 AM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 08-26-07, 09:22 PM
sm5sfe
Driver School Candidate

well heres the deal, if the part changes the performance of the engine in any way the warranty will be voided, because it changes the performance of the car. Headers, can't do without voiding(will throw a sensor), Cold-air intake can't be done either because it will throw a sensor, but you could just put a drop in K&N high flow air filter into your stock air box and that won't void. As for the exhaust, you could get an axel back exhaust, put it on, then when you need to take the car into the dealership, put the stock rear end of the exhaust back on. An axel back exhaust won't throw a sensor, but it also won't add that much performance. IMO it isn't really even worth doing. You could do what I'm doing (because I have a warranty also) and that is just throw a B&M Short Shifter in there, doesn't void the warranty at all, and then just wait to modify your car 'til the warranty is up. Only 8 more months for me *PHEW* (I have huge plans for my IS) Oh and any other questions you have that you want answered faster than this one was, you can post on http://my.is/ I'm on that forum too and they will give you very quick responses because most all of them are huge enthusiasts. Just thought you should know. Hope I helped.
Old 08-26-07, 09:24 PM
sm5sfe
Driver School Candidate

Oh and the cam gears, those are worth changing, however I'd say once again, just wait for the warranty to run out.
Old 08-27-07, 06:52 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What has been said is partially true. There are ways to mod the car without having these issues.

The intake if the right one is chosen will not throw a check engine light
(latest version of AEM, K&N, Injen all should be good)

Headers can be done if you make sure the oxygen sensor is good and does not throw a check engine light, you can also use a O2 simulator

Exhaust is the easiest to do because most of them for the IS are axel back and it is a 2 bolt installation.

As for the cams, those can be swapped in and out easily if you know what you are doing or have a friend that can do it.

All this stuff is easily replaced with factory parts if you have to go back to the dealer to have warranty work done.