Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dyno'd the GS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 01:12 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...yeah, I knew this already even before I went ahead with this mod but I added a couple of goodies to bring it right back. I could always say, lets race to 70mph. lol

Also, your 0-60 point above is JUST for a stock GS4XX with the addition of the 3.76 gears alone...is this correct? In my case I also have a 3000 stall PI TC...will my 0-60 time still be slower than a stock GS4XX? I hope not...
No, you will have a quicker 0-60 than a "stock" GS4xx.

That said you will have LESS RWTQ at 60mph than a stocker! So, at 60mph the stocker will be pulling harder than your car. This is only for a brief amount of time.

Off the line you will have both the gearing of the 3.769 x 3.357 (1st gear) = 12.65 times engine torque vs. stock of 10.96 times engine torque. And the torque converter advantage.

Now, once the torque converter is past 2800rpm there is no more gearing advantage from the TC.

At 6200rpm you shift into 2nd gear at 38mph. Total gearing 3.769 x 2.18 (2nd) = 8.22 times engine torque.
The stocker runs until 45mph before shifting. The stocker has more ACTUAL torque at the wheels from 38mph (when you shift) until 45mph when he shifts. Then he will have 3.266 x 2.18 = 7.12 times engine torque.

At 6200rpm you shift into 3rd gear at 58mph. Total gearing 3.769 x 1.424 (3rd) = 5.37 times engine torque.
The stocker runs until 69mph before shifting. The stocker has more ACTUAL torque at the wheels from 58mph (when you shift) until 69mph when he shifts. Then he will have 3.266 x 1.424 = 4.65 times engine torque.

Now, if you could remove the engine RPM limiter and stay in gear longer that would allow you to overcome even this disparity.
Old 09-30-08, 01:55 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
No, you will have a quicker 0-60 than a "stock" GS4xx.

That said you will have LESS RWTQ at 60mph than a stocker! So, at 60mph the stocker will be pulling harder than your car. This is only for a brief amount of time.

Off the line you will have both the gearing of the 3.769 x 3.357 (1st gear) = 12.65 times engine torque vs. stock of 10.96 times engine torque. And the torque converter advantage.

Now, once the torque converter is past 2800rpm there is no more gearing advantage from the TC.

At 6200rpm you shift into 2nd gear at 38mph. Total gearing 3.769 x 2.18 (2nd) = 8.22 times engine torque.
The stocker runs until 45mph before shifting. The stocker has more ACTUAL torque at the wheels from 38mph (when you shift) until 45mph when he shifts. Then he will have 3.266 x 2.18 = 7.12 times engine torque.

At 6200rpm you shift into 3rd gear at 58mph. Total gearing 3.769 x 1.424 (3rd) = 5.37 times engine torque.
The stocker runs until 69mph before shifting. The stocker has more ACTUAL torque at the wheels from 58mph (when you shift) until 69mph when he shifts. Then he will have 3.266 x 1.424 = 4.65 times engine torque.

Now, if you could remove the engine RPM limiter and stay in gear longer that would allow you to overcome even this disparity.
Thanks J...you explained everything very well. I guess that it's good that I have an intake, exhaust and Neo to help with the torque loss at certain intervals over the stocker.

Also, I understand the concept of raising the rev limiter but isn't it true that anything past 6000rpm you will actually make less power and less torque with these V8 engines? So, let's say even if I "could" raise the rev limiter up from 6250 to say...6700 (saying that everything is done properly, i.e. engine internals and all) I would not have that extra shift in the 0-60 span but the last couple of hundred RPM's the car will be not really pulling that hard or as hard...am I missing something?
Old 02-02-09, 08:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever get the SRT Intake installed?
Old 02-03-09, 06:55 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

No SRT here...
Old 05-12-09, 10:02 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is LExizm still around? I'm wondering if he went with the fuel controller and what kind of number he got from it.
Old 05-16-09, 07:37 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gears only make the car "FEEL"faster but if you actually test it at the track you very unlikely to see any gains in performance even though your butometer telling you so(been there done that) now TQ converter will make diffirence especially if you get the stall speed about 200-400rpm less then your TRQ peak, but with converter on the dyno you will show less power for sure its like a rubber band effect.
Nice numbers though !!!
Old 05-27-09, 07:49 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Is LExizm still around? I'm wondering if he went with the fuel controller and what kind of number he got from it.
Yeah, I'm still around but I don't check the site like I use to or should. No I didn't get the fuel controller, I have the ashtray and the setup, I just put things on hold for a while. I have a couple of issue I have to resolve first.

Originally Posted by MDSC
Gears only make the car "FEEL"faster but if you actually test it at the track you very unlikely to see any gains in performance even though your butometer telling you so(been there done that) now TQ converter will make diffirence especially if you get the stall speed about 200-400rpm less then your TRQ peak, but with converter on the dyno you will show less power for sure its like a rubber band effect.
Nice numbers though !!!
I beg to differ sir. I test the car on the dyno and the track with as you can see from some of my threads, I do the before and after results. I have gone to the track and gotten slips before the gears and after the gears with the same performance mods. I did see an increase in speed and lower ETs. I feel very comfortable in saying I saw 2 tenths off my time.

Remember, gears don't increase horse power it just maximizes the horse power sooner than later. This will result in you getting to the same point sooner than you did prior (without the gears). Now there is a point where it evens out; I've beat other 430's and 400s with the same and or similar setups. I was gone every time. Also keep in mind the gear ratio you choose. If it's not tall enough than you won't see the difference; it will be so minor you can barely tell the a difference at all. Go too high of a gear it will be very quick off the line (once you learn how to launch) and in the 1/8th mile, but you will loose it in the 1/4 mile or shortly there after.
Old 05-28-09, 07:19 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexizm
Yeah, I'm still around but I don't check the site like I use to or should. No I didn't get the fuel controller, I have the ashtray and the setup, I just put things on hold for a while. I have a couple of issue I have to resolve first.

I beg to differ sir. I test the car on the dyno and the track with as you can see from some of my threads, I do the before and after results. I have gone to the track and gotten slips before the gears and after the gears with the same performance mods. I did see an increase in speed and lower ETs. I feel very comfortable in saying I saw 2 tenths off my time.

Remember, gears don't increase horse power it just maximizes the horse power sooner than later. This will result in you getting to the same point sooner than you did prior (without the gears). Now there is a point where it evens out; I've beat other 430's and 400s with the same and or similar setups. I was gone every time. Also keep in mind the gear ratio you choose. If it's not tall enough than you won't see the difference; it will be so minor you can barely tell the a difference at all. Go too high of a gear it will be very quick off the line (once you learn how to launch) and in the 1/8th mile, but you will loose it in the 1/4 mile or shortly there after.
Perfect responses Lexizm! I too love the taller gears!
Old 05-28-09, 09:49 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Perfect responses Lexizm! I too love the taller gears!
Since you've got the 3.76 rear I'll assume you mean shorter (numerically higher) and not taller (numerically lower).
Old 05-28-09, 10:31 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Since you've got the 3.76 rear I'll assume you mean shorter (numerically higher) and not taller (numerically lower).
lol...whoops. I always confuse this; I stand corrected. thanks!
Old 05-31-09, 03:32 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
haha alot of poeple make that mistake though

Last edited by MDSC; 05-31-09 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-31-09, 03:37 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexizm

only way i can see a GS4 gettin anygains from gears is like the 32Valve n/a cobras make all the power up top and way to heavy to get off the line quick. I went from 2.73 to 3.73 on my camaro when it was a bolt on car it did absolutly nothing at the track i ran it every weekend so i have a stack of slips, then went back down to 3.23s and still ran he same times and MPH, but it makes peak trq at 1900rpm and its about 500lbs lighter then the gs. NOw when i put the 2800stall converter and a set of drag radials car picked up 3-4 tenths no mph really but the 60ft went from 2.0-1.9 range to 1.76 being best. Rule of thumb is every .1 in the 60 you loose 1.5-.2 in the 1/4.
What did your car run before and after the gears if you dont mind me asking, it seems like the Gs4s are running 96-97mph stock so you traping 100?