Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats that noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 08:26 PM
diablodude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats that noise

Not sure if this post will get moved but since most people seem to reply here, here it goes. I just installed the Tanabe to the IS350 and sometimes, I hear a pop, almost like a small backfire when I slow down. This doesn't happen all the time but once in a while and it's not loud but its there. Is this "normal" break in of the exhaust? I never had this with the stock but only after putting on the Tanabes. Could it be I didn't tighten something or had to do some extra step during install? Could I have a leak? The only 2 places the leak could be I guess is where the exhaust connects to the existing pipe on the car and also where the 2 Tanabe pieces connect. I noticed they did ship what appeared to be a metallic like gasket for in between where the 2 Tanabe pieces connect or is this for where the Tanabe connects to the car? Was I even supposed to use this gasket that was shipped with it or are the connections ok without anything in between them? Sorry I can't be more specific but I am sure that the folks who have Tanabes will know what I am talking about.

One thing I noticed or didn't notice was that some people posted that they had smoke and funky smell for the first few minutes of running after the install. I had none of this, could the exhaust I have be faulty?

Last edited by diablodude; 08-26-07 at 10:16 PM. Reason: More information
Old 08-27-07, 05:36 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that before also. I have the Lexus/HKS exhaust and it happens now and then, fairly rare if you ask me. But i was thinking about taking it to Lexus to see what they have to say. Lemme know if you get it resolved.
Old 08-27-07, 06:08 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

The gasket that comes with it is to connect the two Tanabe pipes together. For me the smoke was for the first drive but the smell lasted a whole week. How log did you drive it for? To check for big air leaks just put your hand close to the two connections to see you can feel anything. Just do it when the engine is cold as to not accidentally burn yourself.
Old 08-27-07, 07:07 PM
diablodude
Rookie

I retightened the bolts and drove around for a bit today and so far no more pops, only time will tell. I also read that if the pop occurs during slowing down, it's most likely a leak somewhere.
Old 08-28-07, 06:42 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default The smell..

Originally Posted by diablodude
I retightened the bolts and drove around for a bit today and so far no more pops, only time will tell. I also read that if the pop occurs during slowing down, it's most likely a leak somewhere.
I installed the Megan Full system on mine, even replacing the cats and I don't have a pop...But the smell it completely normal. It will go away within a week or so.

On another note...When the car is still in "Cold Mode" like when your motor is not to the halfway point yet, my motor pops when I try to get on it...I think it's some kind of dummy proof thing that "retards" the motor/timing until it is fully heated. My terminology might be wrong but I know I'm headed in the right direction with it Haha
Old 08-28-07, 01:22 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a leak eh? guess i'll take a look or have lexus take a look. Thanks!
Old 09-02-07, 11:50 PM
diablodude
Rookie

So far no more pops...............