Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Build Diary: Vol. 2, 2JZ-GTE VVT-i Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07 | 09:09 AM
gotparts?
Picture Posting Impaired

Originally Posted by DCMango
Jeff, why the GTE head? From my understanding, VVTi heads flow a lot better then non-VVTi head. Just curious.
reason is probaly he's gonna be running aem. be easier to setup on aem with the non vvti head.
Old 09-06-07 | 09:49 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedaddic
jeff, what kind of power were you making before?
Only a measly 375-400hp

Originally Posted by DCMango
Jeff, why the GTE head? From my understanding, VVTi heads flow a lot better then non-VVTi head. Just curious.
I'm using the GTE VVTi head. Im also getting it port n polished in addition to a 5 angle valve job.
Old 09-06-07 | 10:13 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Looking good Jeff!!! Haltech?
JPI
Old 09-06-07 | 10:15 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'm using the GTE VVTi head. Im also getting it port n polished in addition to a 5 angle valve job.
is that setup better than simply port and polish a ge vvti head? I've talked to many ge-t owners and most of them are running 300-400. Haven't really seen a stock ge head going up to 600.
Old 09-06-07 | 10:16 AM
VIPLexus
Lead Lap

Goold luck!! In everything!! Definitely subscribing to this thread.. And damn before October's meet?!! Haha Another reason for me to head to Dallas for the meet!!! Good luck sir!
Old 09-06-07 | 10:21 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPI
Looking good Jeff!!! Haltech?
JPI
Yep haltech for now, I got it for really cheap. Possibly AEM in the future since it as waaay more functions. I'm especially interested in the ability to tune the VVTi with the AEM.

Originally Posted by ElitistK
is that setup better than simply port and polish a ge vvti head? I've talked to many ge-t owners and most of them are running 300-400. Haven't really seen a stock ge head going up to 600.
Keep in mind this is the GTE VVTi head. It was only available in JDM Aristo's and Supra's. It's not the stock GE VVTi head. The GE head can flow up to a good 600hp or so as well. The reason why most people don't boost it up more is because the rest of their drivetrain is not up to the task. I'm going the GTE route because it looks cooler, easier to change spark plugs, and way more aftermarket intake/exhaust manifold selections.
Old 09-06-07 | 01:02 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Jeff, you and I need to speak, seems you speak to Jason from JPI, if that's the case, we are working on the whole AEM on a GS thing. No secrets here, if you need any help or anything, let me know! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Only a measly 375-400hp

Old 09-06-07 | 03:49 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

hey jeff...how about a ride in the 500hp beast in Oct????
Old 09-06-07 | 06:48 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
hey jeff...how about a ride in the 500hp beast in Oct????
me 2....
hey thomas how bout a ride in ur 400hp beast.
Old 09-17-07 | 12:05 AM
kit cat

Coco-bun, I actually did the cleaning myself. The owner at the shop let me use the chemical pressure washer and sandblaster to clean everything out with extreme detail. I'm really picky about making everything look extremely clean. I spent a good 3-4hours on the cleaning machine to get everything to come out looking like it was brand new from the factory. I tell you though, those chemicals are really really strong...I was high like a mo'fo after the 3 hours of cleaning lol.
I know you do everything by yourself . I follow most, if not all, DIY write ups you post on CL. Any updates Jeff?? I'm thinking about boost too after I'm done with grad school...I hate being that slow guy within my group of friends who all have at least 400hp at the wheel.
Old 09-17-07 | 12:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I know you do everything by yourself . I follow most, if not all, DIY write ups you post on CL. Any updates Jeff?? I'm thinking about boost too after I'm done with grad school...I hate being that slow guy within my group of friends who all have at least 400hp at the wheel.
Hey man I know the feeling. I used to be the slow guy. All my friends had S2K, 350z, G35, EVO's, and BMW M's. Now, none of the can keep up with me anymore...and this is before my "Stage 2 Upgrade" lol. Now I'm know as the crazy/fast as hell guy with a 600+hp "GS in the making"

I'm getting a bunch of stuff in the next 2 weeks time:
- TTE molded bumper is getting repaired/repainted and should be done this week.
- Engine head I sent to the machine shop should be done this week as well.
- I also dropped off my spark plug cover off to the paint shop to get reprayed a dark metallic blue.
- The built engine shortblock and race built tranny should be coming in next week.
- The valve covers are probably going to be dropped off at a shop to get chromed in about 2weeks time.
-I'm also thinking about throwing in a set of Rotora 6piston BBK in 2 weeks or so

Here's a little update. I sanded down the valve cover and did some prep work before dropping it off at the body shop for a respray.
Old 09-17-07 | 06:34 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Keep it up Jeff. Subscribing.
Old 09-17-07 | 07:44 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

i was wondering where did you buy/ find a GTE head? ive always wated to do this mod bc when i get my turbo i want the GTE intake manifold, and if iw as going to do that i should just get the head as well... ill also PM you!
Old 09-17-07 | 08:30 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Damn... that's one helluva cleaning job... I can't wait to see this build up...
Old 09-18-07 | 12:10 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
i was wondering where did you buy/ find a GTE head?
I was wondering the same thing. Where did you get the GTE VVT-i head & intake from? If its a secret just PM me and I promise not to tell anyone.

Quick Reply: Turbo Build Diary: Vol. 2, 2JZ-GTE VVT-i Conversion