Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Modifying my Borla exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 05:36 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying my Borla exhaust...

I was really thinking of removing the X pipe and reinstalling the stock resonator which would make a Borla cat-back exhaust basically.

Its basically a noise issue and since I tend to drive longer distances lately I think I need to get some quiet back in my driving situation.

Might sell the X pipe separately after I reweld in the stock resonator and everything works out ok.
Old 09-10-07, 09:23 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just sell your exhaust and get the cat back version?
Old 09-10-07, 09:39 AM
newis350
Pole Position

dude. the x-pipe is the heart of the borla exhaust. It is a crime against humanity...well maybe not humanity...but a crime none the less to butcher the borala exhaust system. If you do not want the borla noise you should consider reinstalling the stock system, and find a loving owner who will appreciate the beauty and music of the borla exhaust.
Old 09-10-07, 12:40 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell me your X-pipe. //
Old 09-10-07, 03:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
why not just sell your exhaust and get the cat back version?
I think he already has the cat-back (street) version, which is way louder than the off-road version. I think you should just have 2 small resonators installed like the off-road version has. It would take a LOT of work to replace the X-pipe with the stock resonator since you would have to do a lot more welding to add 2 Y-pipes, 1 resonator, then re-route everything.
Old 09-10-07, 07:18 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Actually its a simple to remove the X pipe and put the stock resonator section back in, its a direct swap back. The X pipe and the stock resonator occupy the same location (between the front and rear cats) and the stock was cut out and directly replaced by the X pipe.

As for calling it sacriledge, I'd suggest running around with it for about 4 months and seeing how it goes. My mechanic recommended welding it all in and seeing how that does, it would reduce a lot of the noise issues since the coupling clamps and pipes sliding and vibrating against each other would be eliminated.

I'd basically be turning my Borla street legal exhaust into the equivalent of a Tenabe or HKS with the sweet sounding and hi flow Borla mufflers.

Still trying to figure out what to do in any case - weld the whole thing or swap back and weld it all together.

Originally Posted by Gernby
I think he already has the cat-back (street) version, which is way louder than the off-road version. I think you should just have 2 small resonators installed like the off-road version has. It would take a LOT of work to replace the X-pipe with the stock resonator since you would have to do a lot more welding to add 2 Y-pipes, 1 resonator, then re-route everything.
Old 09-11-07, 06:01 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Wow I thought the street version would have been quieter than the off road version. I 'm glad I got the off road version it sounds great at any speed.
Old 09-11-07, 07:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoasterG
Actually its a simple to remove the X pipe and put the stock resonator section back in, its a direct swap back. The X pipe and the stock resonator occupy the same location (between the front and rear cats) and the stock was cut out and directly replaced by the X pipe.
It couldn't be as simple to replace the X-pipe with the stock resonator as it would be to just insert 2 smaller resonators.