Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 04:34 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Install Question

Hi guys... A little help please. I just took delivery of my Tanabe Medalion. It came with ONE flange. The exhaust has two connections, one to each muffler section and another to the rest of the exhaust. Before I take off the factory exhaust, is there another flange that is re-used when putting on the Tanabe? Is the flange that came with the Tanabe to be used between the two muffler sections? Thanks....
Old 09-11-07, 05:17 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Hi guys... A little help please. I just took delivery of my Tanabe Medalion. It came with ONE flange. The exhaust has two connections, one to each muffler section and another to the rest of the exhaust. Before I take off the factory exhaust, is there another flange that is re-used when putting on the Tanabe? Is the flange that came with the Tanabe to be used between the two muffler sections? Thanks....
If by flange you mean gasket, then YES there should only be one, and if I remember correctly you put it on flange that connects the driver's muffler to the y-pipe.

If I remember correctly, the factory flange connection doesn't use a gasket, so when you put on the Tanabe y-pipe to the factory single pipe, a gasket isn't used. Just make sure that you tighten that connection equally on both bolts
Old 09-11-07, 10:00 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Thank you for the info. I just didn't want to be stuck in the middle of putting on the Tanabe and find out that I was missing a gasket. I'll use a torque ratchet to assure that all of the nuts are equal.
Old 09-11-07, 10:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts

There will be a thick salad bowl / donut gasket sitting at the end of the resonator pipe outlet once you remove the rear oem muffler section...

Just make sure its their during the install... I have seen those stick temp. to the rear section (rare, but it happens) during removal.

Jz
Old 09-11-07, 11:07 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
There will be a thick salad bowl / donut gasket sitting at the end of the resonator pipe outlet once you remove the rear oem muffler section...

Just make sure its their during the install... I have seen those stick temp. to the rear section (rare, but it happens) during removal.

Jz
Thanks Joe. I'll be sure to re-use the "thick salad bowel / donut gasket" from the OEM exhaust when I put on the Tanabe. I'll take pics during my instal.
Old 09-12-07, 04:25 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Thank you for the info. I just didn't want to be stuck in the middle of putting on the Tanabe and find out that I was missing a gasket. I'll use a torque ratchet to assure that all of the nuts are equal.
I don't mean equal in terms of torque...I mean equal in terms of tighten each side a few threads at a time, so that it is "flat" on the flange, not tilted on one side or another.
Old 09-12-07, 07:11 PM
diablodude
Rookie

The gasket that comes with the exhaust is for the 2 tanabe parts. Make sure everything lines up before, during and after tightening the bolts so there is no leak.