Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What to expect from SRT intake/ecu & 3.76LSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 12:42 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
those time seems slow for a GS430.

Then again you got someone else (forgot his name) who has a the PI torque convertor/3.76 gearing and ran a 13.7.

If you want to greatly improve your 0-60 times, you'll want to take a look at the PI torque convertor. Our OEM 1800rpm stall convertor is a limiting factor.
I think that is 1qwkGS's car if I'm not mistaken.

I have a 3000 stall PI TC and Supra TT 3.76 LSD with K&N FIPK intake. The car is definitely quick but I don't think 5.0 in the 0-60 mark. However, if you JUST get the 3.76 LSD your 0-60 will be SLIGHTLY SLOWER than before!!! This is because the shift points change and your car will shift just before 60mph into 3rd (I think @ 57). There was an extensive thread about this LSD and its effect. Your 1/4 mile will be a good amount quicker though with this LSD. This mod is BEST combined with the PI TC. The PI TC alone will leave you spinning A LOT off the line...the LSD counteracts that and puts that extra torque multiplier down to the ground!

I still need to get my hands on a damn SAFC II and JPI/SS headers. Then I'll be happy.....................or maybe not. lol

As mentioned earlier weight reduction is also key! Unsprung weight especially; i.e. lightweight rotors, lightweight wheels, lightweight driveshaft, lightweight flywheel...ETC. A wheel and tire combo weighing 7+ lbs lighter in each corner will be a significant difference, but quality lightweight wheels are usually 3-piece and 3-piece wheels are ALWAYS big $$$$$!
Old 09-18-07, 06:59 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone had mentioned that with some other mods minus the SRT will get you what you were looking for. I would agree; the SRT is not for me. I had one on my GS3, granted it wasn't a V8 but I was disappointed. It sounds really good (loud) though. I seriously doubt anyone is getting any numbers near 35hp not to mention the plus with the SRT.

I also saw that some said the GS430 and 400 run low 14's stock, well that's not my experience at the track. I've beat GS400's and 430's and I have 3.92's and a drop-in K&N and still my best time was 14.4. You're don't want to hear this but it was around mid to high 80's, maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know.

I'm thinking since I can hit 14.4 with just gears, exhaust and a drop-in, I should be in the high to mid 13's with headers, TC and a real intake. We'll see soon enough.
Old 09-18-07, 07:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Yeah, a good intake matters a lot but you know what matters more IMHO that squeezes the MOST power out of the intake, exhaust and headers? an SAFC II/NEO. I read somewhere on this forum that a fellow CL member (w/a GS400) gained 30+ HP and 40+ TQ to the wheels (dyno)! If these things are tuned properly on a dyno you will notice it! He first did a baseline dyno run of around 235hp with just an intake then added the SAFC II (dyno tuned) and ran around 268hp! Just think, you can pick one up for under $250 but the install and tuning might cost another $300-$400...it's worth it and that's the route I'm leaning towards!
Old 09-18-07, 07:47 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I saw that thread too. I don't think it was that high though, but I could be wrong. Like the commercial goes, "well horsepower is horsepower boy!" I totally agree with ya. I should have never got rid of my SAFC; I'm in the market for a SAFC II or a well priced NEO myself.
Old 09-18-07, 08:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
The only reason why i am posting on this is because people can get the wrong info and all kinds of missleads can happend. the whole site is kinda iffy with the numbers posted. to tell you the truth, i don't even get why they are comparing diffrent cars HP & TQ without ever talking about weight, ect...
FI vs NA does not make any sense, but oh well
Most of those cars belong to Jimmy's friend. It's just a friendly comparison that shouldn't be taken too seriously .
Old 09-18-07, 08:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

There are so many factors that's involved that I was very reluctant to post up times. But the original poster wanted an estimate

In the end, I dont think a few tenths would matter that much, especially since our cars spend most of its time under 4000 rpm.
Old 09-18-07, 10:15 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, there is so much input on here. Thanks a lot. I really gotta do some homework.

Honestly, I didn't want to get into anyone posting performance times because this depends on what the car runs without performance. There are too many variables (and heck, every car is different) to be accurate.

I was hoping someone could say, if you do x, y, and z, you'll get about .5-.7 seconds faster in the 0-100 range.

If I go the intake, LSD, and torque converter route, what would be the labor costs of actually installing these parts? Aren't a torque converter and LSD going to require a lot of labor to install? When you add that to the price of the parts and a few dyno pulls to tune the car nicely, I think I'll be out of budget.

Headers legal in California?
Old 09-18-07, 10:27 PM
cheap300
Rookie

If your on a budget try a 100 shot of no2 and go from there. Its the best bang for the buck out there. I think JPI has all you need for a kit except the bottle.
Old 09-19-07, 09:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexi4darin
Guys, there is so much input on here. Thanks a lot. I really gotta do some homework.

Honestly, I didn't want to get into anyone posting performance times because this depends on what the car runs without performance. There are too many variables (and heck, every car is different) to be accurate.

I was hoping someone could say, if you do x, y, and z, you'll get about .5-.7 seconds faster in the 0-100 range.

If I go the intake, LSD, and torque converter route, what would be the labor costs of actually installing these parts? Aren't a torque converter and LSD going to require a lot of labor to install? When you add that to the price of the parts and a few dyno pulls to tune the car nicely, I think I'll be out of budget.

My quotes (and paid prices) on various installs on my GS400 as follows:
Install costs ONLY...

3.76 LSD - $300
2900 stall PI TC - $600
B & M Tranny cooler (a must if you are adding a high stall torque converter!) - $100

So install costs are roughly $1,000 +tax and parts prices if everything is new is around $2,000 ($1,200 for 3.76 LSD; $750 for PI TC; $50 for tranny cooler)for a grand total of $3,000! Oh, don't forget the fluids...tranny & LSD (add another $150 for good quality fluids. Amsoil ATF and Royal Purple Max Gear). These things definitely make the car come to life! You will be happy! Good Luck...
Old 09-19-07, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Unfortunately, aftermarket headers are illegal in cali

But You'll pass smog. Just hope the guy inspecting your car wont notice them.
Old 09-19-07, 11:38 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Ok, so maybe I'll do two phases. Intake, chip/piggy back, headers, LSD and MAYBE a torque converter.

I'm thinking with those mods the car should be a real low 5 second car to 60mph and running low 14's in the 1/4 (maybe high 13's).

What brand headers is everyone using?
Old 09-20-07, 05:33 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Ok, so maybe I'll do two phases. Intake, chip/piggy back, headers, LSD and MAYBE a torque converter.

I'm thinking with those mods the car should be a real low 5 second car to 60mph and running low 14's in the 1/4 (maybe high 13's).

What brand headers is everyone using?
Agreed on those estimated times...maybe 5.2 0-60mph and maybe even 13.7/13.8 in the 1/4 mile with the headers and "X" pipe. The headers of choice (limited) on here seem to be the S&S headers but JPI has finished a real nice pair and is still working on some finishing details before mass production; expected price is supposedly $500.
Old 09-21-07, 06:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any of you guys have a G-tech Pro SS or RR? You can get instant performance numbers without guessing.
Old 09-21-07, 03:45 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a K&N CAI and Borla exhaust, after installing headers and LSD my ET dropped .4 on the 1/8 mile. headers did .3 and LSD did .1 on stock street tires.
Smog techs will not see them.
Old 09-21-07, 04:56 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Does anyone have any real data (time slips) showing the 3.76 actually improves 1/4 times?

The reason I am asking is by going from 3.266 to 3.76 will force a extra shift into 4th gear which would eat up most of the gain.

Last edited by IAGS400; 01-27-09 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply: What to expect from SRT intake/ecu & 3.76LSD