Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lms Headers For Is 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 09:04 AM
mazzuri
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Probably true... but a lot closer to 100% of all inspection stations will know, which means nobody in states that do a visual (most states) can go without cats unless they want to swap their headers/exhaust at least once a year.
Your state does it every year, really? Here in CA. on new cars we have to do it ones every 5/6 years and that is with our crazy emission laws.
Old 10-31-07, 09:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Every single year, yeah. Visual for -all- cars 1973 and newer... OBD-2 testing for 96 and newer.

Other states with annual inspection-

Georgia (Atlanta area only, only cars 3 yrs old or older)
Hawaii (though brand new cars get to skip one year)
Louisiana
Maine
Mass (safety annual, emissions every 2 years)
New York
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

Some pretty populous states in there.

Missouri, NJ, RI, DC, Alaska, Colorado, and Utah are every 2 years

Additional states that require emissions inspections every 1-2 years in at least some counties-

California (6 years old and older as you note)
Florida (6 counties so far)
Illinois
Indiana
Nevada
Ohio
Washington State
Wisconsin

So in short- the _majority_ of states require some kinda inspection every year or two on most cars (though only in the most populated counties for a few of the states so far).

Believe me, I'd LOVE to see some good headers for the IS350... I'd just lvoe to see some I can use in most of the country without swapping parts every year. I already went through that once with a car that was -easy- to swap on, and decided it wasn't worth it.
Old 10-31-07, 10:18 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even in the most strict counties in Texas, they don't really do visuals. If you have an OBD-II car, they just hook it up, and let the computer decide. I had a very obvious test pipe on my S2000, and they never noticed it. The only thing that I worried about were those random emmissions test points that are set up from time to time on highway entrance ramps here in DFW.
Old 10-31-07, 10:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Heh.. they don't do random off-ramp inspections here, but they DO put the car on a lift and visually verify your exhaust system. You fail for no cats, you will also fail if there's a leak anywhere in the exhaust system prior to the mufflers
Old 10-31-07, 10:58 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzuri
Your state does it every year, really? Here in CA. on new cars we have to do it ones every 5/6 years and that is with our crazy emission laws.
Yes, here in Tx they require it annually. However, when you buy a new car they give you 2-yrs to do the 1st annual inspection. Like Gernby said, the visual part is rather easy to get by. I also had a test-pipe in my old S2000 but no BS from the inspection place. Heck, they crack down more on no front plates than a loud exhaust.
Old 10-31-07, 11:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Heh.. they don't do random off-ramp inspections here, but they DO put the car on a lift and visually verify your exhaust system. You fail for no cats, you will also fail if there's a leak anywhere in the exhaust system prior to the mufflers
It wasn't an off ramp inspection. It is an on ramp emissions testing van where they set up a bunch of equipment and cameras on each side of a highway on ramp about half way up the ramp (where most cars would be accellerating) to test your emissions as you drive by. I don't know how it works, or what they do if your car fails. Sometimes there are cops there, and sometimes there aren't. All I know is that driving through those check points in my S2000 provided a very high pucker factor as I tried to coast up the ramp without being too obvious that I was cheating the test.
Old 10-31-07, 11:05 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Heck, they crack down more on no front plates than a loud exhaust.
You ain't lying about that! Front plate violations around here are $190!
Old 10-31-07, 11:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Heh... here it's $250 if you don't have a valid emissions check passed each year, then they tack on interest every month after you're still out of compliance, and block renewal of your registration till it's fixed.

If a shop passes you without actually doing all the testing required it's like a $10,000 fine. (for the shop)

I guess a bigger question to cover the folks who are lucky enough to be able to skirt the visual... will it pass all the other testing (tailpipe or OBD-2 I guess depending on location) without the front cats?

Last edited by Kurtz; 10-31-07 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 12:27 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any one buy some headers for the is350 yet?