Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine gurus, need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 09:27 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine gurus, need some help...

finally got my built gte swap finished up. was out driving around, trying to put some miles on the new built motor, everything was fine at that point. i had a friend finish up the exhaust for me, which turned out great BTW. the next morning he goes to start it up and move it off the lift, and the car starts hard, runs for 5-7secs and then shuts off. after that it cranks like it has no compression. i pulled the coil cover off and the intake cam had slipped 5-6 teeth). i reset the timing back to stock, and did a compression test, showed very low in 4 out of 6 cylinders(when i say low i mean like less than 10psi), and around 90psi on the other 2. i followed the compression test up with a leak down test (figured there may be some bent valves or something), and it came out perfectly fine 5-8% leakdown for all 6 cylinders, and its definetly coming past the rings, not intake or exhaust.

i slapped it back together, and it still cranks like it has no compression. i have also been told that it feels like the crank turns over hard, and should spin a little more freely. to me, it feels just like it always has, nothing different.

basically i am at a loss at this point. i cant think of anything else. low compression makes me think the timing is still off, but leak down shows everything is closed when it should be. what am i missing??? i am about to tear it back down, and see if something is hanging up, making it turn hard. if i cant figure it out, i'll just stick it back in the garage and figure it out over winter i guess. thanks for the help.
Old 09-28-07, 09:07 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

Nobody has any suggestions??? Help a brotha out PLEASE...
Old 09-30-07, 09:27 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

found the problem. the key on the cam snapped clean off, and the cam gear spun almost 180 degreee on the cam. now i just gotta go get this cam repaired or a new one and i'll be back on the road.
Old 10-01-07, 06:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, post up some pix of the engine bay!
And you're very lucky that you found the problem before it got worse. It would suck baaad to have to pull everything apart again to redo all the valves lol.
Old 10-01-07, 07:17 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

actually, i pulled the cam tonight and found some more damage. the number 1 cam cap is trashed, more than likely the culprit for why the pin snapped off. looks like i'm gonna be needing some head work soon, or a new head i guess. oh well, thats how this build has just gone. ive waited 2 years to finish the car, guess i can wait a little longer.

i'll see if i have any pics pf when it was together, if not i'll just snap a pic real quick with it mostly back together.