Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 09:29 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust question

i've seen many G35 and 350z driving around and im not a big fan of them, but i admit i love how their stock exhaust and muffler sound. it's not to load and it got that sporty/aggressive sound to it, well i was wondering does anyone here knows if i could buy an nissan exhaust system and install it on my IS350??? or no another exhaust system that sounds like the stock G35 or 350z exhaust??? thanks
Old 10-02-07, 09:31 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

One word...> Tanabe! I just had my Tanabe Medalion installed today and is sounds GREAT!! It most resembles that of a 350Z / G35, but the Tanable sounds even better. Sound clips do not do it justice.
Old 10-02-07, 09:38 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
One word...> Tanabe! I just had my Tanabe Medalion installed today and is sounds GREAT!! It most resembles that of a 350Z / G35, but the Tanable sounds even better. Sound clips do not do it justice.
can you tell me how much and do you have any pics of it??? cause i seen some muffler tip that fit perfectly with the stock bumper, thats what i would like the muffler to be. and did it viod your warrenty when you installed your exhaust system???
Old 10-02-07, 09:44 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I took pics but they are still on the camera. I'll post pics of me and my car in a week or so.

The Tanabe fit with the stock bumper is perfect. I have OEM full ground effects. The Lexus master mechanics who installed it for me commented on the exceptional quality of the Tanabe exhaust.

The only part of the warranty that is void is the muffler. After all, the axle back exhaust essentially replaces the stock mufflers.
Old 10-02-07, 09:57 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

I took pics but they are still on the camera. I'll post pics of me and my car in a week or so.

The Tanabe fit with the stock bumper is perfect. I have OEM full ground effects. The Lexus master mechanics who installed it for me commented on the exceptional quality of the Tanabe exhaust.

The only part of the warranty that is void is the muffler. After all, the axle back exhaust essentially replaces the stock mufflers.
but then you have to get it installed by a certified lexus technician right??? do you have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust?? i did some research and it seem that this is the best fit/suited for the 350? or am i mistaking???
Old 10-02-07, 10:05 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

The exhaust is so easy to install, anyone mechanically inclined can do it. It just happens that only 15 minutes away from me are two Lexus master mechanics who opened their own Lexus / Toyota shop. They charged me only $50 and it took about 15 minutes of work and 15 minutes of chit chat.

Tanabe Medalian Touring...correct. If you want an elegant, deep tone sound that is not overly loud but pleasant to the ears in the cabin, that is the one to get. If you want louder, it is not for you.
Old 10-02-07, 10:44 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

well time to brake that piggy bank now, here piggy piggy
Old 10-03-07, 12:13 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I'm sure you will have no regrets with the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Have fun!
Old 10-03-07, 12:28 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

I'm sure you will have no regrets with the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Have fun!

i hope soo and hope that its not to loud either, or there goes my piggy bank. thanks a lot though, really appreciate your help!
Old 10-03-07, 01:23 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

what about greddy? any experience with them?
Old 10-03-07, 03:08 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

tanabe exhaust sounds like G35/350Z? Hmm.. are you sure about this?
Old 10-03-07, 07:36 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I think the consensus around CL is that the Lexus HKS sounds the most like the G35/350z. Yes it's about double the cost of a Tanabe but it won't void your warranty since its a certified Lexus part. However there are going to be a lot of biased opinions here.

You can see pics of the Lexus HKS here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=289824
Old 10-03-07, 09:21 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

If you're on budget go with Tanabe. that's what I have. I'm not sure how the sound differs from tanabe to Lexus HKS. But tanabe sounds great at startup, very similar to G35 & 350z but not as loud. The only think i don't like about tanabe is drooning sound at around 2500 rpm. it's really loud. If you have people sit in the back they will complain. It's only at 2500 so you won't hear that too much on freeway, except when passing BMW 3 series.

BTW, putting aftermarket exhaust shouldn't void your warranty. In fact I heard it's illegal for Lexus to refuse warranty service except the problem was linked to exhaust. If you get Lexus dealer to install the Lexus HKS it will cost you nearly 2k. Lexus HKS cost $1500 but you might be able to find it cheaper and Lexus charges $160-200 for installation.

Last edited by dojoman; 10-03-07 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 10:36 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
well i was wondering does anyone here knows if i could buy an nissan exhaust system and install it on my IS350???
WOW- you don't know a whole lot about cars do you- it has less to do with the exhaust system and more to do with the Engine/head design that determines the exhaust note. both engines in the IS and the G/Z are V6's but slightly different.
You're not going to sound like a Nissan, but a better flowing exhaust will wake up the car and give you close to the sound you want...
Old 10-03-07, 10:45 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
WOW- you don't know a whole lot about cars do you- it has less to do with the exhaust system and more to do with the Engine/head design that determines the exhaust note. both engines in the IS and the G/Z are V6's but slightly different.
You're not going to sound like a Nissan, but a better flowing exhaust will wake up the car and give you close to the sound you want...
I think mufflers are different too. I noticed on G35/Z there's only one muffler and between the exhaust tips. Where as IS/Tanabe the mufflers are individual piece like most other cars.

Quick Reply: exhaust question