Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My review of the borla off road exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 06:47 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kicks
i currently have the tanabe installed and was thinking of changing to the borla because of the hp gains and sound at WOT. thanks to your honest review i think i'll stick with my tanabe for a lil longer .

also, i wasn't aware of the borla drone at low rpms, how's it sound around 2500?
Are you saying that the Tanabes don't have the drone at low RPMs?
Old 10-05-07, 07:48 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kicks
i currently have the tanabe installed and was thinking of changing to the borla because of the hp gains and sound at WOT. thanks to your honest review i think i'll stick with my tanabe for a lil longer .

also, i wasn't aware of the borla drone at low rpms, how's it sound around 2500?
actually at 2500 it's absolutely fine. It's 1500-2000 (basic cruising speed) that it has the very noticeable drone. The best way to for me to describe the drone is that if you ever have been to a live show and someone pulls their mic out of the jack and then you have all that low bass feed back. It's loud so even in our nice quiet lexus cab, that feedback still finds it way through.

Let me put it to you this way. A girlfriend of mine was riding in my car the other day and asked me "did you do something to your engine to make it all loud"..

The tanabe is a nice exhaust and looks very good too.
Old 10-05-07, 07:55 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Just out of curiosity, do you think by removing the 2nd set of cats you'll still pass emissions here in Texas? Thx!
absolutely, All texas inspections on new cars is done at the ecu and not anything in the tailpipe. So as long as i am not throwing up an error, i'll be fine.
Old 10-05-07, 08:38 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your review...I heard a bit different. Both sound closely the same..
Old 10-05-07, 10:11 AM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter

was your check engine light from one of your 02 sensors not being screwed down all the way?
naa it mostly came on when it was cold out and I had driven the car for a bit, it kept throwing "bank 1 and bank2" errors..neway what fixed it was that i reset the ecu by pulling the fuse, and pulled the exhaust system fuse to reset that also.
Old 10-05-07, 10:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by waynetech2
naa it mostly came on when it was cold out and I had driven the car for a bit, it kept throwing "bank 1 and bank2" errors..neway what fixed it was that i reset the ecu by pulling the fuse, and pulled the exhaust system fuse to reset that also.
An exhaust system Fuse?
Old 10-05-07, 10:36 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by waynetech2
... and pulled the exhaust system fuse to reset that also.
Huh?!?

What about your spark plug fluid?
Old 10-06-07, 12:54 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

absolutely, All texas inspections on new cars is done at the ecu and not anything in the tailpipe. So as long as i am not throwing up an error, i'll be fine.
OIC, thx for the info!
Old 10-06-07, 01:27 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

you just saved me $1300

awesome review man thanx for the time and effort you put into the whole thing
Old 10-07-07, 08:58 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

OK here's a view of the tips and fit. We know the is350's are real bad about sagging on the left side. caymandive has a thread on how he used a ziptie to correct the issue. however, I think mine is beyond ziptie sag. i am looking at ordering some Bosal muffler hangers online for a nissan that are about 1" shorter than ours. they are only 3.50 and worth it if it fixes the problem. YOu guys wanted pics of the fit so here you go.

horrible still.

I also have a new sound coming from under my car that I have no idea what it is. It's started since I installed the exhaust and only happens when I turn right.

Old 10-08-07, 06:29 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Are you certain that you couldn't loosen the bolts a bit, and shift things around until the left and right sides are more even? This may also be the solution for your new noise when turning right. The piping is probably rattling up against a suspension piece or something.
Old 10-08-07, 08:36 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

yeah, because think about the hangers back there. The rubber grommet only holds the muffler one way. It's not like I can move the location of the grommet. I also have moved it around as much as possible. That's the best fit i can get.

You are welcome to swing by next sat if you go to the lake and check it out.
Old 10-08-07, 10:19 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
The piping is probably rattling up against a suspension piece or something.
That's what happened to the Borla cat-back I had on my FJ. Fit & finish was bad though as not as bad combfilters. Ultimately, we had to make some minor adjustments to the area around some of the piping. I just sold it a few weeks after that.
Old 10-08-07, 05:47 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

OK here's a view of the tips and fit. We know the is350's are real bad about sagging on the left side. caymandive has a thread on how he used a ziptie to correct the issue. however, I think mine is beyond ziptie sag. i am looking at ordering some Bosal muffler hangers online for a nissan that are about 1" shorter than ours. they are only 3.50 and worth it if it fixes the problem. YOu guys wanted pics of the fit so here you go.

horrible still.

I also have a new sound coming from under my car that I have no idea what it is. It's started since I installed the exhaust and only happens when I turn right.

Hey I had the same noise, the way you fix that problem is to move the exhaust back, that way it s not touching the under side of the car. It's touching the bottom of the car where it bends. Just loosen the flanges and slide the exhaust back and then realign everything and the noise will be gone and also no more sagging.
Old 10-08-07, 09:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

can you take a pic of the back of your car so I can take a peek. Also, what was your noise like? Mine is only when I turn a sharp left and it almost sounds like my wheel is rubbing. However, i am back on stock wheels and I know it's not that so I had my friend do circles in the parking lot while I rode shotgun and put my head down close to my passenger side console and can hear this weird almost clicking sound.

Also, how did you move your whole exhaust back? I mean it bolts onto the cats, so I can't move it back there, and the hangers are where they are.

Thanks for your help on any of this.

Quick Reply: My review of the borla off road exhaust