Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which intake will give me the most whp gains?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 06:51 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARC induction box with ARC intake suction pipe. that will give results, but will cost a pretty penny. out of all of them though available i would go Joez or K&N. joez is proven and it reserves the cold air snorkel and the box is what keeps the low end. also K&N because of the heat shield and it also incooperates the snorkel. also if you try and seel the top cover panel you create almost a virtual air box like Javy did.
Old 10-16-07, 10:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ How does the K&N incorporate the snorkel? The heat sheild is not sealed, so it isn't going to suck air through the snorkel, and the snorkel isn't a ram air scoop, so I doubt there will be any cool air flowing through the snorkel at all. It's like trying to use a straw to drink without sealing your lips around it.
Old 10-16-07, 11:09 AM
noenoe_pro
Driver

is it possible to install fujita pipe with stock box?
Old 10-16-07, 11:54 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by noenoe_pro
is it possible to install fujita pipe with stock box?
No. All of the SRI pipes will be too long, and will have holes for the MAF sensor that is already mounted in the stock air box.
Old 10-16-07, 07:48 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
^^^ How does the K&N incorporate the snorkel? The heat sheild is not sealed, so it isn't going to suck air through the snorkel, and the snorkel isn't a ram air scoop, so I doubt there will be any cool air flowing through the snorkel at all. It's like trying to use a straw to drink without sealing your lips around it.
it looks like from what javy has posted and what i have seen, that there is a cut out in the heatshield for the scoop to go in there. i know it isn't a cold air intake but with using the engine covers, a little bit of foam you can get somewhat of a seal. air will be pulled through the scoop, just how much cold air is the question. javy had a great right up about the K&N. you can see the black spot on the cone filter right where the scoop exit dumping into the heat shield.
basically the K&N and their design is second best compared to the JoeZ. want sound and little gain go with K&N, want the same mount of gain and keep that ittle bit of low end power then get the JoeZ. if u got the moola go ARC.
Old 10-18-07, 03:16 PM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
No. All of the SRI pipes will be too long, and will have holes for the MAF sensor that is already mounted in the stock air box.
correct.

I installed my Fujita Today. took approx 35 Min to install.. tools needed was philips and flathead, and a few sockets.

i removed the covers from the stock car, and the sensor from the air box. ( < 3 min)
screwed sensor onto pipe. (1 min) removed entire stock tubing from car. (5-8 Min)
fujita fits right in. easy screw ins (10 min)

filter goes right in, as well as all covers co back on. (10 min) i had to cut a small peice off the cover so i can snap it all together. (3min)

i forgot to take pix during installation, but ill post some pix up and link to it later.

the fujita F5, about $200, i have not dynoed but you can definately hear it around 3000+ rpm. i do feel an increase in hp, and on the freeway acceleration, when the car hits 4000- 4500RPM, u can DEFINATELY hear it and i have to say, if u can always drive around 4-4500rpm, the car will soud like a V8.

this is just my $0.02.

btw, i have a 06 IS350.

again, will post links up to pictures of finished install.
Old 10-18-07, 04:57 PM
noenoe_pro
Driver

Im kinda confused, some people loss hp from fujita, and some gain.
which 1 is valid? does any1 get it dyno yet?
Old 10-19-07, 06:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by noenoe_pro
Im kinda confused, some people loss hp from fujita, and some gain.
which 1 is valid? does any1 get it dyno yet?
It isn't that some people gain, and some loose. It's that some people believe they gain, while others know they loose.
Old 10-19-07, 10:28 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

From http://store.my.is/store/customer/pr...&cat=47&page=1
regarding the JoeZ intake for Is250 and 350

Independent DYNO Test results on a stock IS350 have shown gains of 5+ Rwhp Max Power & 5+ ft.lbs of Peak Torque.
The stock manual 6 speed IS250 showed gains of 6+ Rwhp Max Power & 5.6+ ft.lbs of Peak Torque.

DYNO Jet Graphs are SAE Corrected

IS 350 Black
6 Speed Auto - 4,959 miles
THIS IS THE SAME IS350 WE USED IN THE FIRST DYNO TESTING DONE ON 3/9/2006

Base Run
Max Power 265.8 Max Torque 241.7

w/ Joe Z Intake Pipe Installed
Max Power 269.7 Max Torque 245.4

Gains
Max Power = 4 RWHP* (rear wheel horse power)
Max Torque = 3.7

Measurement of percentage of Factory Rated Base HP (306) to Dyno Tested Base RWHP (265) was an approx. 14% loss to the wheels.

Here is a link to their dyno sheets
http://my.is/forums/f88/faq-joe-z-d-...t-pics-283691/
gotta scroll down a little bit

It isn't that some people gain, and some loose. It's that some people believe they gain, while others know they loose.
Its that the Dyno tests and company say they gain...
Old 10-20-07, 01:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Let's have them repeat the tests with hood down, no fans blowing, and actually moving down the road. Dyno tests are not real world conditions, and 4 hp is a TINY change. I've seen a 10 hp variation across three runs in 10 minutes with NO changes at all, so I'm extremely skeptical of these kinds of results.
Old 10-21-07, 12:42 AM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

for what its worth, i felt a lil difference with my fujita and hks hi power installed. a slight bump in the mid rpms. who knows??
Old 10-21-07, 01:32 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by i3urton
Which intake will give me the most whp gains? on an is350

1. Lms

2. K&N

3. FUJITA

4. Joez with hks drop in filter..
Besides the InJen, you also forgot the aFe intake. I don't know if it makes a difference but not only does it have a heatshield like the K&N but the heatshield has an opening for the intake tube & filter to go through instead of it going over the heatshield like the K&N. Also, it has a black plastic tubing (makes it look more oem'ish). Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't plastic tubing generate less heat than the metal/aluminum tubing of the other intakes? Assuming there aren't any new intakes announced at SEMA, I'll probably get this one. Anybody have one to make a few comments?

And yes you can still re-use the engine cover. FWIW, I currently have the FJ Cruiser version & love it. TRD sells the exact same version (albeit w/a slight airbox mod).

Last edited by Yeah!; 10-21-07 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-21-07, 01:51 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afe looks like a good choice..lifetime warranty got me hooked... 1 year on the filter.... any pplz have done a independent dyno for afe on a is350??? found it for 280
at http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...0A2612951.aspx
Old 10-21-07, 10:23 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by i3urton
Afe looks like a good choice..lifetime warranty got me hooked... 1 year on the filter.... any pplz have done a independent dyno for afe on a is350??? found it for 280
at http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...0A2612951.aspx
The vendor that organized a groupbuy for the FJ Cruiser version told me he can get it for $260-$265 shipped but that's for the dry filter version. The one in your link is the oil-based version. PM me for the info if you want the dry filter version. I'm just waiting for SEMA b/c supposedly there are some new products being announced. If you get it, post some pics & a review, thx!
Old 10-21-07, 11:43 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

yes!! cant wait for sema!

Quick Reply: Which intake will give me the most whp gains?