Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For Those that have the 'X Pipe' ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 06:21 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For Those that have the 'X Pipe' ...

Hey I have a question for all that have the 'X pipe' installed on their GS400 or 430. I know we have a total of 3 cats on our cars, but the with the installation of the X pipe, the third cat is removed. I had a GS300 and I removed my cats when I upgraded the my headers because the cats are in the headers. I love the sound but the only downside is the soot on the tail pipe because of no cats.

I want to know for those of you that have the 'X-pipe' are you experiencing any soot on your tail pipe tips? I'm thinking you guys may have a little soot because you still have 2 other cats, but the third cat must burn off some soot as well or Lexus wouldn't have the 3 cats.

Another question is the sound improvement. How much did it increase in sound? I heard a few video sound clips and I love the sound especially at WOT. Granted no one has a db meter but was it a big difference or just an great enhancement?

Currently I have the S&S heards with the Carson Tune exhaust and it sounds good at very low rpms and speeds. You would think it would sound a lot better at WOT, but not really only from inside the car. I know because I have it on video that I will post later.

The soot and sound will be a determining factor. So what's up guys with the X pipe?
Old 10-06-07, 09:04 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that's a resonator and not a cat...I'm going to install the xpipe on weds at my friend's shop.
Old 10-06-07, 10:01 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Oh okay huh... Has anyone tried replacing this with just a straight pipe instead of a X-pipe? If so, how does it sound; will it sound similar to the X-pipe? Those with the X-pipe, how does your car sound at idle, low and regular/normal driving speeds? This is something I'm thinging about doing in a week or so; therefore, please respond. I want to get it right the first time.

I think I will post some video sound clips so you guys can make a fair comparision.
Old 10-06-07, 01:30 PM
bg_281
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can see my setup on my 430 it sounds great, I can feel the loss of low end torque, but I think the 4.27 gears will fix that right up... It sounds awesome!!! I think that no manufactured exhaust system can sound like this... But thats my opinion cuz I like it loud... once I get the headers it'll be even louder, But i just got 4 inch tips in the back theres no mufflers so it's basically straight pipe from the headers back... I do get the black soot on the tips all the time but i just use some carberator cleaner(hope thats how you spell it) and let it soak for like 30 secs on the tips and all that black stuff just wipes right off... But go for the x-pipe man the sound is like no other... trust me...
Attached Thumbnails For Those that have the 'X Pipe' ...-photo-0004-2-.jpg  
Old 10-06-07, 02:19 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yo Lexism, I've read several of these threads, some call it a cat and some say resonator. I'm not sure what it is. I'll find out on Weds I guess. Did you get the magnaflow x pipe bg_281?
Old 10-07-07, 09:57 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Yo Lexism, I've read several of these threads, some call it a cat and some say resonator. I'm not sure what it is. I'll find out on Weds I guess. Did you get the magnaflow x pipe bg_281?
Guys,
The GS430s have the third cat and also lost e-shift because of emissions, where as the GS400s have e-shift and no third cat. Make sense?
-Will
Btw, soot is not bad on my car. Only on the inside and the rim around the opening on the tip. Or maybe I'm just **** about cleaning my car. LOL
Old 10-07-07, 03:08 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I have the S&S headers, a custom X pipe and Carson Tuned exhaust with 5" Magnaflow rolled tips - no soot problems at all, and this set-up has been on my car for over a year now. I also run premium fuel - typically Chevron or BP, and I use Amsoil. The sound is good, but not much different from just the S&S and Carson Tuned set-up. I used a Magnaflow X-pipe ( 2.25 in and out ). I probably could have eliminated the Carson resonators but I figured they were not really restricting the exhaust much since they were 2.5" and relatively free flow.

Oh, and yes my car definitely had a third cat - HAD!
Old 10-07-07, 04:54 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TAMR_GUS98, do you know if GS300's have 2 cats or 3 cats?
Old 10-07-07, 08:26 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pingu
If i remember right, the 2GS3 had one cat.
Old 10-08-07, 08:19 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pingu
Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
If i remember right, the 2GS3 had one cat.
2Gen GS3's have two cats. They are located in the stock headers, when you go aftermarket like OBX headers your tips will be black with soot.
Old 10-09-07, 07:55 PM
bg_281
Driver

speedaddic- I got my x-pipe off of ebay I honestly like the design it just looks like it has a better flow then all the rest that i've seen, plus on ebay its only like $60 shipped... heres the link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EWA:PIC&ih=017
Attached Thumbnails For Those that have the 'X Pipe' ...-x-pipe.jpg  
Old 10-09-07, 08:54 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bg_281
speedaddic- I got my x-pipe off of ebay I honestly like the design it just looks like it has a better flow then all the rest that i've seen, plus on ebay its only like $60 shipped... heres the link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EWA:PIC&ih=017
That is a good price. I bought my Magna Flow X pipe for $79.95 plus tax.
This one looks exactly like the Magna Flow but polished.
Old 10-10-07, 05:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bg_281
You can see my setup on my 430 it sounds great, I can feel the loss of low end torque, but I think the 4.27 gears will fix that right up... It sounds awesome!!! I think that no manufactured exhaust system can sound like this... But thats my opinion cuz I like it loud... once I get the headers it'll be even louder, But i just got 4 inch tips in the back theres no mufflers so it's basically straight pipe from the headers back... I do get the black soot on the tips all the time but i just use some carberator cleaner(hope thats how you spell it) and let it soak for like 30 secs on the tips and all that black stuff just wipes right off... But go for the x-pipe man the sound is like no other... trust me...
Hmmm...I thought the "X" pipe was supposed to increase low-end torque? I was thinking of doing this until I heard this notion. Sound without added performance (especially if it comes with decreased performance) is not important IMHO.
Old 10-10-07, 05:51 PM
bg_281
Driver

Rock- after i got my x-pipe on the car felt a lil sluggish off the line but it higher rpms it performs wonderfully... I think its just cuz of the fact that I have no cats or resonators or anything to build a litle back pressure... but I think if you do the x-pipe with a cat back it would be better...
Old 10-10-07, 06:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If you do 2.5" piping per side, you're going to get some power loss down low. Ideally, you want about 2.25" piping on our NA cars. It's not until you make a good amount of power over stock before the 2.25" piping becomes the restriction. There is an advantage/disadvantage to both the 2.25" and 2.5" piping. You just have to choose what powerband you want

And this is all in general. Dont hold me accountable if you decide to get 2.25" piping and then throw in a huge turbo afterwards to wonder why you're not getting the top end you're expecting.

Quick Reply: For Those that have the 'X Pipe' ...