Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dynoed GS400......WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 11:26 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually replace mine out every 60 to 80k miles. They do last for quite a while. With a semi heavy foot I'm still getting 20mpg, mostly around town. And beating STi and M3 (E46) to boot. The M3 driver is a buddy of mine...I KNOW he won't cut me any slack at the light!
Old 11-22-07, 12:11 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at the graph... the run with the TM's starts at an earlier RPM, giving it more torque.. The second run was started at a later RPM, giving it less torque. These numbers cant be compared correctly...
Old 11-23-07, 06:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edro925
It does make a difference when you motor is cooled down. We have an 88 10 sec mustang which cannot hot lap because of heat issues. We hot lapped her once it ran 10.1 @ 1/4 the first run the second run it only ran a 10.9. When the motor is cool the ecu tends to run it a little bit richer and more aggressive timing.
The ECU will richen up the fuel mixture are pull timing when the engine is hot, not cold. Cooler engines will make more power because the ECU will allow a more lean (agressive) mixture and more timing.
Old 11-23-07, 06:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RTGS400
Look at the graph... the run with the TM's starts at an earlier RPM, giving it more torque.. The second run was started at a later RPM, giving it less torque. These numbers cant be compared correctly...
There isn't anything wrong with these runs starting at different RPMs. The engine doesn't somehow gain more torque just becaue the operator pushed the dyno's 'Record' button sooner.
Old 11-24-07, 12:40 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
There isn't anything wrong with these runs starting at different RPMs. The engine doesn't somehow gain more torque just becaue the operator pushed the dyno's 'Record' button sooner.
It doesnt "gain" torque. But you cant see that peak torque is down low in the RPM band? And if at, lets say, 3k rpm you get peak torque.. if you started the dyno at 3500rpm on one run, you would get a lower peak torque. Whereas if you started the dyno run at 3000 rpm, you would then show the higher peak torque at a lower rpm. Therefore, you can see that if you start the dyno at a different rpm, you will show a different peak torque number. Ive dynoed hundreds of cars.. ive seen it all.
Old 11-24-07, 07:13 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I see. You are right that peak torque isn't capturing the real peak torque for either run, but it is clear that there is about 10 ft-lbs difference across the RPM range that we see.
Old 12-08-07, 07:16 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my headers installed yesterday! It took almost all day with two people working on it!

Here is some of my observations.......The flanges on the top of the converters need to be sanded down a small bit so they will fit better to the end of the headers. This will create an exhaust leak if you don't. You also need to replace the donut gaskets on the bottom end of the converters. I used the stock manifold gaskets. They looked like they were made better than the aftermarket ones. None of my o2 sensors had to be re-wired like I was told from another member. Order and take a new driver's side motor mount with you. They have to take it out anyway and if it looks pretty worn just go ahead and replace it! Mine just happen to break the day before....perfect timing!

Here's really what everyone wants to see......Performance: I can really feel the difference in the seat of my pants! It's pulls harder all the way across the board! This mod gets a big in my book! We ran out of time to get the car on the dyno......but I will talk with Lexism and see if we can meet next friday and I will post picks of the latest dyno! I'm hoping for the same gains that he saw.......17rwhp and 17rwtq! Maybe I'll get lucky and see more
Old 12-09-07, 02:27 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
I got my headers installed yesterday! It took almost all day with two people working on it!

Here is some of my observations.......The flanges on the top of the converters need to be sanded down a small bit so they will fit better to the end of the headers. This will create an exhaust leak if you don't. You also need to replace the donut gaskets on the bottom end of the converters. I used the stock manifold gaskets. They looked like they were made better than the aftermarket ones. None of my o2 sensors had to be re-wired like I was told from another member. Order and take a new driver's side motor mount with you. They have to take it out anyway and if it looks pretty worn just go ahead and replace it! Mine just happen to break the day before....perfect timing!

Here's really what everyone wants to see......Performance: I can really feel the difference in the seat of my pants! It's pulls harder all the way across the board! This mod gets a big in my book! We ran out of time to get the car on the dyno......but I will talk with Lexism and see if we can meet next friday and I will post picks of the latest dyno! I'm hoping for the same gains that he saw.......17rwhp and 17rwtq! Maybe I'll get lucky and see more

reat Kevin! Keep us updated with those dyno results! BTW how much did you have to pay for the new engine mount (one side)?
Old 04-30-08, 06:25 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

I can't wait to get headers!
Old 04-30-08, 07:20 AM
TactiCOOL
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there an update to this?
another thread perhaps?
Old 04-30-08, 10:11 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope......my 98 blew a crank bearing and I installed everything on my '99 and haven't done a dyno. I will do a base and then after tuning with the neo sometime soon!