Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electric supercharger..do they work?? (MERGED THREADS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 01:58 PM
woodyaht
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blower is only turning one rpm. I doubt if it would even be pressurizing the throttle body with air at idle, this blower on my charts only puts out 105cfm, not very much, as soon as you open up the throttlebody, all this thing would do is slow down the air going to the engine cause, it's single speed would not be increasing like a normal supercharger, or turbo. This thing would have to spin probably about 30,000rpm to do any good, and it's plastic squirel cage would blow up.
Old 09-20-04, 06:36 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can that company sponsor me so i can say to everyone how wonderful their product is?
Old 10-14-07, 09:53 AM
tresvatos
Driver

Default Electric supercharger..do they work?? (MERGED THREADS)

Has anyone seen the electric superchargers on ebay for around 70-100 bucks? Has anyone used these? They bolt onto the intake, or short ram air.
Has anyone got any suggestions?? Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-14-07, 10:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

No, avoid them. To even get these remotely to do anything takes some advanced design work for the intake to fire in the air, but for the hp/$ and good exhaust is a better thing to start with.
Old 10-26-07, 11:20 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Man! They almost convinced me! They have adds for all over the internet. I wrote to them about the before & after comparison but never got an answer!
Old 10-27-07, 07:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmm...I would think they work. The real question is "how good" do they work? I would think that with a motor/fan ramming more air into the intake chamber would yield some type of performance gains; again, probably not enough to feel or substantiate the purchase. Now, if that electric motor was powerful enough to spin the impeller (ramming air into the intake chamber) at an extremly high rate of speed then we might be onto something. However, in order to have such a powerful motor it will have to either A) be much larger and thus not be able to fit under the hood and/or B) have some type of multiplication gearing between the motor and impeller to multiply the impeller speed and create more of an air ramming effect. If I had one of these (that I didn't have to buy) I would love to take one apart and see what "enhancements" I can do with it...(just my $0.02)
Old 10-27-07, 12:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

There's the E-RAM that is the only thing remotely close to being a real electric supercharger on ebay. Do not buy those stupid cheap boat bilge blowers/fans, those are truely useless. The eram has an ultra high speed 25k+ RPM motor in it that is capable of forcing quite a bit of air into the engine. It uses about 60amps of power to run it which is roughly equal to about 1HP. Ok back to the topic...does it work. I'd say yes, but it's only capable of introducing about 1psi of positive boost. It can't hold a candle to a true turbocharger or supercharger. You could stack two units together but the axial compressor is not the most efficient kinda compressor so you would net 1.5psi of positive boost. You could keep adding more and more in series to achieve more boost, but in the end you can't get around the overall inefficiency of that type of compressor. Maybe need about 3-4 compressors in series to achieve 2PSI+.

I used one of these in my car back in the day and it gained me about 15hp of power at approx 1psi of boost Just don't expect to gain any more than that from the electric superchargers. If you add up intake, headers, exhausts, e-ram, and SAFC. You could net some decently impressive gains for your money

Last edited by JeffTsai; 10-27-07 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 01:46 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

I think sucking 60amp this blower can be heard from miles ago! ja ja
So it w'l need an on-off sw. and a relay
All together with a chip module and a "Tornado"... oh Jesus, who will need a turbo?!!! je je
But anyway 15hp gain is GOOD for $99!

Last edited by Hectorm; 10-27-07 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-27-07, 02:10 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anybody have that video where someone dynoed a car using a leaf blower connect right up to the intake and made more power? It made me laugh so hard yet so impressed.
Old 10-27-07, 07:22 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
anybody have that video where someone dynoed a car using a leaf blower connect right up to the intake and made more power? It made me laugh so hard yet so impressed.
lol i rember that i think it was a honda
Old 10-27-07, 08:57 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hectorm
I think sucking 60amp this blower can be heard from miles ago! ja ja
So it w'l need an on-off sw. and a relay
All together with a chip module and a "Tornado"... oh Jesus, who will need a turbo?!!! je je
But anyway 15hp gain is GOOD for $99!
It's quite loud, but not too bad. It's quieter than a supercharger whine. If you've ever used an air cutoff tool then that's kinda what the e-ram sounds like...the kind that has the disc that spins fast to cut metal. It's not $99 blower on ebay, those are the stupid useless scams that sell low power 2-5A blowers. Search for eram or e-ram and that's the one I was talking about. It cost me about $250 or so. It has a WOT switch which activates the motor only when you floor the gas pedal all the way. Again, this will only be able to generate about 1psi of positive pressure which equals to about 15hp or so. A real turbo or supercharger can generate far more pressure/flow and is way more efficient.
Old 10-27-07, 09:05 PM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

ull be looking to gain 15hp from the e-ram. The leaf blower is exponentially stronger than that thing and they only gained like 15 hp. With nitrous a lot more, but 15 for just the blower.
Old 10-27-07, 09:09 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have seen them produce up to 15hp max but with a large of amount of electrical draw and noise to go with it. Not worth it to me.
Old 10-28-07, 12:19 AM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Read this interesting comments...
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/bette...20supercharger
Old 10-28-07, 03:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a real electric supercharger out there that can make a good amount of boost, Turbo magazine did a write up on it and I've seen it online, if I remember they made between 40-60 whp with it on a early Nissan Altima. GDo a search for turbo magazine and electric supercharger on google and you can probably find it.

Quick Reply: Electric supercharger..do they work?? (MERGED THREADS)