Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU
Every Week
2.28%
Every Couple Weeks
3.64%
Every Month
6.15%
Every Few Months
16.63%
I Haven't Yet :eek:
71.30%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 05:30 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every Electronic Control Unit in the car can be call ECU (there are a whole bunch of ECUs in anycar)

when we are talking about ECU, we are refering the MAIN computer unit located on the side of you your engine , see it Under ECU diagram on my website.

SRT ECU is NOT an really a ECU, just call it ECU because everyone call it ECU, it does not have memory capability, it's just a little general purpose microcontrol chip (PIC), used to modify your MAP sensor signals. Thus, NO reset for this.

You need to reset your main computer. From looking at the schematic, remove Remove EFI fuse is sufficient to do this.

you normally should remove your battery when you work with electrical or with the engine anyway. Remove the batt cable is your saftest bet. Everythings will be reset.

remove the fuse with a fuse remover (included in the car), or small plier or your finger if you can.

Bryan, it does not hurt to reset it again when you install the exhaust, remove the fuse is easier, so if you are lazy, just remove the fuse.

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-11-02 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-12-02, 04:55 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up thanks banana

thanks much man, i appreicate it man, i am gonna take my battery terminals off tomorrow. btw can someone diy on the new style taillights? i seen a set of modified ones on a car with a body kit...it still possible?
Old 10-12-02, 01:04 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

possible, but i don't have the set to look at, from looking at them online, seem like it's easier to mod the new style light than the old one where you have to cut the whole thing out.

also, here is how I reset my ecu, remove the fuse 30sec, I think the supra ppl do this also, same fuse, 30 sec, EFI fuse (25A)
Attached Thumbnails How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?-p1010111.jpg  

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-12-02 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 01:27 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

I have s-afc on my car and I've noticed something different than before. I reset the ecu few times before my s-afc when I had srt intake and their ecu. I have noticed that just after ecu reset I used to notice little hesitation for just after initial drive and when I drive around the block, ecu seemed to learn and drive fine. But now after I got rid of srt ecu, although I still have srt intake, after ecu reset by disconnecting battery terminal I have not noticed that initial hesitation and it drives fine from initial take off.
So my question is since s-afc setting is not lost even when the battery term is off, is there no point of resetting ecu?
Should I keep resetting ecu once in awhile like I used to do or s-afc is already optimised for setting without needing for ecu reset?
thanks
Old 10-31-02, 09:02 AM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

I disconnected the battery for 60 seconds. This reset the ECU and made a difference. I did not loos seat or radio settings.
Old 10-31-02, 09:26 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MikeM
I disconnected the battery for 60 seconds. This reset the ECU and made a difference. I did not loos seat or radio settings.
Mike, you bring up an interesting point that has been discussed before.

Welcome to CL, BTW.

My personal theory is that if your radio and seat setting are not lost, then you might not have reset the ECU, but, if you can feel the difference in the driving characteristics, cool.

No one has set the threshold as to what the absolute time really is. I shoot for 20 - 30 min FWIW.
Old 10-31-02, 09:32 AM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

I thought it made a modest change in proforamnce and then I realized that the ECT was not in power mode. Once I put it back in power mode (where I normally keep it) there was a big enough difference that I'll do it again. I did it ovfer lunch yesterday. I'll try for a longer time period in a few weeks.
Old 10-31-02, 11:28 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Originally posted by MikeM
I thought it made a modest change in proforamnce and then I realized that the ECT was not in power mode. Once I put it back in power mode (where I normally keep it) there was a big enough difference that I'll do it again. I did it ovfer lunch yesterday. I'll try for a longer time period in a few weeks.
Mike, by any chance does your GS have Nav? If I unplug the battery or pull the fuse for more than a few seconds I lose my radio and seat settings. My GS is a Premium car (with Pioneer radio head unit).

I've read where folks with the Nav system do NOT lose these settings when they reset their ECU.
Old 11-04-02, 01:39 PM
BLW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default w/Nav

I have nav on my 98 GS400 and when I pull the fuse or battery cable I lose the seat settings and clock which are not on the nav unit. I do not lose radio presets, which are on the nav unit. All nav settings are saved and not lost.
Old 11-05-02, 04:34 AM
girvan
Rookie

Default Magic Crystals

Folks,

All that you are doing is erasing the short and long term fuel trim settings. An aggressive drive around the block a couple of times with a warmed up engine will relearn them. As far as driving adaptation goes, a monkey, robot or anyone else will exercise the ECU through enough of the maps to “adapt” to car to your driving style (the identical one as the monkey and the robot) by driving the car through a wide range of throttle and revs setting.

The marketing folks may have mislead you that there is something clever happening here (I don’t even think that this is the case with Lexus). Relax its all in your minds. After the first few miles and there is no conspiracy trying to make your car behave like a granny. The only conspiracy and clever thing is OBD-II and that is aimed 100% at emissions. Sure your car may run a little rich during the learning period hence the very temporary difference.

PS waiting more than few seconds will not erase the RAM any more but I’m sure some folks will swear that they feel a difference between an erased setting after 5 seconds and 1 hour. Bring on the magic crystals…

I don’t reset my ECU
Old 11-05-02, 07:03 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: w/Nav

Originally posted by BLW
I have nav on my 98 GS400 and when I pull the fuse or battery cable I lose the seat settings and clock which are not on the nav unit. I do not lose radio presets, which are on the nav unit. All nav settings are saved and not lost.
If u leave them out long enough the radio will lose it's setting too, I have a navigation and if I pull the fuse for say an hour, it'll still have the settings for my stations but if I keep it off over night when I wake up in the morning and put it back, I ended up losing my radio stations.

ShOwGS
Old 11-11-02, 06:12 PM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

DaveGS$

Sorry for not replyiny. I've been in the boondocks.
No, I don't have a nav system.
Old 01-05-03, 11:56 PM
marcianof
Rookie

Default Stock ECU Reset

I have an idea - how about drving the car in normal mode (as opposed to Power mode) while you are grannying around town and then switching to power mode only when you step on it. I wonder if the ECU has two completely different maps - one for the normal mode and one for the power mode. Us racing types always leave it in power mode, but maybe that is the wrong approach. Use the mode that fits what you are doing at the time.
Time to experiment. If I am correct and you only use power mode when you are stepping on it, then you will always have a setting that is ready to go without having to reset the ECU.
Comments?
Old 01-06-03, 09:26 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most people would agree with me that its hard to drive in anything but power mode once you get used to it. For me its throttle pressure. I like being able to just use what amounts to moving my toes a bit and having the car accelerate smoothly. I just feel like the engine bogs in anything but power mode and even then it'll start doing it if you don't reset the ECU once every couple months or so.
Old 01-08-03, 05:21 PM
wjbertrand
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Originally posted by Dex
For the newer members here, this is accomplished by a couple of different ways:

a.) removing the battery cable for a few minutes
b.) pulling the ECU fuse in your fuse box located (in the 4) in the engine compartment near the windshield, passenger side

I try to do it every couple of weeks. I drive my car relatively softly on a daily basis, so its nice to get that extra kick in the pants after the reset to remind me what the car is really capable of; nice to execute on a Friday when I tend to really drive it on the weekends.
Has anyone ever performed a before and after dyno run to quantitate the effect of the ECU reset with no other changes?

-WJB

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?