Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU
Every Week
2.28%
Every Couple Weeks
3.64%
Every Month
6.15%
Every Few Months
16.63%
I Haven't Yet :eek:
71.30%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 05:27 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Originally posted by wjbertrand

Has anyone ever performed a before and after dyno run to quantitate the effect of the ECU reset with no other changes?

-WJB
Doubtful you'd see much improvement on a dyno since most dynos, at least the ones I've witnessed for the GS, are done in 4th, and the resetting generally moves the torque back down closer to the beginning of the torque curve, thus giving the 'kick-in-the-pants' feeling we all get.

HTH
Old 01-09-03, 12:04 AM
marcianof
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Reset not needed if you manually shift more.

Since I read everything in this thread, I have been running the car hard and manually shifting as much as possible. What a difference. I can put it in drive and it is downshifting and holding gears longer than it ever has and really kicks but!
I wish they (LEXUS) wouldn't have made the car so "smart" as it should run like this all of the time - PERIOD. In this case, I think that smart is dumb! The car shold consistently run at its best, without any "grandma" detuning.
Old 01-09-03, 12:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts
Default Re: Magic Crystals

Originally posted by girvan
Folks,

All that you are doing is erasing the short and long term fuel trim settings. An aggressive drive around the block a couple of times with a warmed up engine will relearn them. As far as driving adaptation goes, a monkey, robot or anyone else will exercise the ECU through enough of the maps to “adapt” to car to your driving style (the identical one as the monkey and the robot) by driving the car through a wide range of throttle and revs setting.

The marketing folks may have mislead you that there is something clever happening here (I don’t even think that this is the case with Lexus). Relax its all in your minds. After the first few miles and there is no conspiracy trying to make your car behave like a granny. The only conspiracy and clever thing is OBD-II and that is aimed 100% at emissions. Sure your car may run a little rich during the learning period hence the very temporary difference.

PS waiting more than few seconds will not erase the RAM any more but I’m sure some folks will swear that they feel a difference between an erased setting after 5 seconds and 1 hour. Bring on the magic crystals…

I don’t reset my ECU
I've concluded you're exactly right.
Old 01-30-03, 10:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

So what happens if driving style is different day to day - for example one day you drive hard and the next day you don't - what happens then? Which setting is now remembered by the system?

What is the benefit of the pwr switch? I have it set to pwr all the time and not the snow or regular mode. Does that keep it at a level that imitates driving hard all the time even though you might not drive hard one day? This is confusing.......
Old 09-09-04, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
What is the benefit of the pwr switch? I have it set to pwr all the time and not the snow or regular mode. Does that keep it at a level that imitates driving hard all the time even though you might not drive hard one day? This is confusing.......
I expect you know this now Hameed, but the PWR switch adjusts the up shift rpm point and downshifts a bit more easily than when not in PWR mode. That's my understanding.
Old 09-10-04, 01:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I expect you know this now Hameed, but the PWR switch adjusts the up shift rpm point and downshifts a bit more easily than when not in PWR mode. That's my understanding.
That's an old thread you dug up Bit!
Old 09-10-04, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
That's an old thread you dug up Bit!
No, actually it was resurrected by someone who answered the poll and I just replied to your old question when I saw the bumped thread.
Old 01-13-05, 07:16 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can the ecu program itself MORE AGGRESIVELY from reset point or does it only tone down after reset?
Old 01-24-05, 11:08 AM
durightman
Driver School Candidate

Does this apply to the GS300?
Old 01-30-05, 03:02 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by durightman
Does this apply to the GS300?
yes iam trying only cause davegs4 recommends it i know he is a guru about lexus products so if he recommends it must be good iam trying now on my gs 3 and ill let you know the results
Old 04-25-05, 02:37 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Hi,

Just wondering (I've read this thread a few times), is it hte ECU B fuse (20 amp) or the EFI fuse (25 amp) that I'm pulling to reset the ECU? I've seen it mentioned in here flip-flopping between ECU and EFI fuse. The picture in post #78 (I think) shows that it's the EFI fuse that's getting pulled, but this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=14759

says that it's the ECU B fuse.

I tried pulling the EFI fuse (25 amp) and leaving it out for about 20 minutes and didn't notice a change. I then tried the ECU B fuse (20 amp) (for abou 9 minutes) and noticed a change (but am not sure it's just in my head or what cuz my seat memories and radio stations did not erase).

Edited....BTW, I don't have Nav.
Old 04-25-05, 02:46 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

hey PG-it's the ecu b fuse and if your radio presets and seat/wheel didn't erase, you didn't leave the fuse out long enough. I have left it out before for 25minutes and it still didn't reset! leave it for about 35-40 min to be safe.

when I do mine, I notice quicker shifts at light throttle, like it doesn't let off the gas as much between gears.

Originally Posted by PineGreen
Hi,

Just wondering (I've read this thread a few times), is it hte ECU B fuse (20 amp) or the EFI fuse (25 amp) that I'm pulling to reset the ECU? I've seen it mentioned in here flip-flopping between ECU and EFI fuse. The picture in post #78 (I think) shows that it's the EFI fuse that's getting pulled, but this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=14759

says that it's the ECU B fuse.

I tried pulling the EFI fuse (25 amp) and leaving it out for about 20 minutes and didn't notice a change. I then tried the ECU B fuse (20 amp) (for abou 9 minutes) and noticed a change (but am not sure it's just in my head or what cuz my seat memories and radio stations did not erase).

Edited....BTW, I don't have Nav.
Old 04-25-05, 07:31 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

That's weird. I just redid it again today. I took the ECU B fuse out and left it out for 1 hour and 45 minutes. When I went back to the car, I still had my seat memories and radio station, BUT the clock time was wrong and the climate control and radio was off (also, the stock cd changer was on disc 4, but changed to disc 1 when I turned the radio back on). Is any of this normal?

The throttle response, downshifts, etc, is definitely better though.
Old 06-08-05, 07:04 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a K&N drop in filter yesterday and thought it would be a good time to reset. I took the neg battery cable off for the time it took to remove the old filter, vaccuum the box out, and install the new. I lost my seat settings, but not my radio stations.

Do we know now if that is a full reset, partial reset or none at all?

Response feels better because of the filter I know, but I didn't notice a substantial improvement in performance.
Old 06-08-05, 07:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STONER
I got a K&N drop in filter yesterday and thought it would be a good time to reset. I took the neg battery cable off for the time it took to remove the old filter, vaccuum the box out, and install the new. I lost my seat settings, but not my radio stations.

Do we know now if that is a full reset, partial reset or none at all?

Response feels better because of the filter I know, but I didn't notice a substantial improvement in performance.

whenever mine is reset, the radio,clock,seat/wheel memory are erased.

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?