Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rod Millen Motorsport Supercharger - Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 01:31 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glen,
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's clearly indicated that these are "Fly Wheels numbers".
I personally never operate a DynoPack before. Thank you for taking the time strapping her down on DJ dyno.
JPI
Old 10-26-07, 04:56 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice setup Some exhaust sound clips would be nice.
Old 10-26-07, 05:15 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
Glen,
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's clearly indicated that these are "Fly Wheels numbers".
I personally never operate a DynoPack before. Thank you for taking the time strapping her down on DJ dyno.
JPI

Yea I read that, but as I described this dyno directly bolts up to the rear wheels. I really don't know what is meant by Fly wheel. I'm leaving for LA tomorrow morning, so I'll have to check with my tuner when I get back home next week.
Old 10-26-07, 05:18 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Very nice setup Some exhaust sound clips would be nice.
Yea a sound clip would be nice.

We did record the audio of our dyno runs at the Valvoline Dyno run we did at Nightshift, but it was all drowned out by music blasting in the background. The car sounded great from where I stood, but I guess the microphones were more in the direction of the music.

Next time.
Old 10-26-07, 06:12 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

398 hp flywheel = 318 whp then

I didn't know dyno's measured at the flywheel...good eye Jason.
Old 10-26-07, 06:20 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by speedaddic
398 hp flywheel = 318 whp then

I didn't know dyno's measured at the flywheel...good eye Jason.
I assure you this is an incorrect assumption but no time to look into this.

I'm flying to LA then Vegas in about 12 hours.

Clarification will have to wait a bit.

c ya
Old 10-26-07, 06:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The numbers are indeed whp.

The dynapack doesn't take into account the moment of inertia of the wheel/tire, hence it reads higher than a dynojet sometimes. BUT from what I heard, how high the dyno reads depends on the user setting and the calibration of the dyno.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number came out to be around 375-385whp on a dynojet, which is still a very respectable number
Old 10-26-07, 07:14 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

cool...learning something new everyday. I don't see how they would be able to measure flywheel hp anyways. I'm sure its wrong. Have fun @ SEMA. I have my pass but not able to make it this year.
Old 10-26-07, 07:32 PM
RMMGS4

OK Just left work and logged back in from home.

We're all here to learn and we are much stronger working collectively than individually. That's what it's all about.

On my drive home I called Carlon (chiu888 - SN correct??) since he knows the Tuner quite well and I don't have any more time, I asked two things of him.

1. Give the Tuner a call and clarify the "flywheel" thing.

2. Convert my PDF file to a JPG of my Valvoline dyno run (On a DynoJet). I don't have photoshop, and I have wanted to post this chart for a while, but again I have no PS.

This dyno run was performed at the HIN Nightshift show in front of hundreds of people. They did use a DynoJet and basically this run was done within 24 hours of the Dynapack run.

I wanted to do a little write up cause there are some things to discuss about the numbers and why they were what they were, but in the interest of time and with me being out for a week, I'll ask chiu888 to post it for me.

If you check my original post, I did comment that the dynapack uses a different set up and that the power could be more, less or equal than a DynoJet. As GSteg noted, there are variables that can be set to compensate for the lack of rear wheel inertia, but I don't have those settings currently available to me.

Hope Carlon can post for me.

Stay Tuned
Old 10-26-07, 08:52 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Glen, I re-read what I wrote. Sounds like I was doubting your dyno, I was doubting my flywheel measurement, not your dyno bro! sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-26-07, 09:18 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Glen, I re-read what I wrote. Sounds like I was doubting your dyno, I was doubting my flywheel measurement, not your dyno bro! sorry for the confusion.
No harm , no foul

I 'm not so worried what you said, more so other readers mis-interpreting what's what. I sometimes see newbies read something now and then re-state the mis-understood information on a different thread 3 -4 months down the road.

They just report what they previously read and sometimes that info was mis-understood and then they end up providing mis-information.

I didn't want someone down the road say that DynaPacks measure HP at the crank, that's all

We're good tho.
Old 10-27-07, 12:13 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dynapack does measure power at the wheels, however the software by default has a correction factor to "convert" the numbers to flywheel hp, that's why the graphs say flywheel hp. i've known dynapack operators to remove the correction factor and thus what you see is wheel hp.
Old 10-27-07, 07:17 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah 318whp would be weak (and would NOT happen) with a supercharged GS4XX. Those #'s would probably be for a supercharged GS300. I agree that 370-390 whp for a supercharged GS4XX would be more accurate. Awesome #'s by the way. When you get your car back from SEMA is there any possible way that you can give us a full write-up on how the car performs (launches, 30-80mph and highway pulls). This would be extremely helpful for those (like me) that are "on the fence" about supercharging. Videos would be great but I don't want to push my luck with my requests of you! lol...
Old 10-27-07, 07:48 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Yea a sound clip would be nice.

We did record the audio of our dyno runs at the Valvoline Dyno run we did at Nightshift, but it was all drowned out by music blasting in the background. The car sounded great from where I stood, but I guess the microphones were more in the direction of the music.

Next time.

I was there as well as most, if not all of the NorCal crew when Glen dynoed his car at HIN Nightshift. His car and my car have pretty much the same exhaust set up. Only difference are the mufflers. The exhaust note has a very exotic sound to it. Very mean. Hopefully we can get sound clips up soon.
-Will
Old 10-27-07, 01:15 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Yeah 318whp would be weak (and would NOT happen) with a supercharged GS4XX. Those #'s would probably be for a supercharged GS300. I agree that 370-390 whp for a supercharged GS4XX would be more accurate....
318whp is weak, but I'm not so sure about 370-390whp on 5psi....do a search on Kharizma's RMM GS @ 6psi...as a matter of fact, look at the Forced induction registry. The guys that are putting up 370whp and up with the rmm are actually running 7psi or more.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141909

Quick Reply: Rod Millen Motorsport Supercharger - Dyno Results