Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07 | 09:21 AM
TypeX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dblockjr
Read all the threads with 3 unhappy people with the Borla Off Road, so that will definetly not go on my car. I think I am gonna order up some Magna Flow mufflers and go to my local exhaust shop and have them make a custom for me.
I would stay away from custom if I were you. Aftermarket exhausts are tuned for power and sound. When you get a custom exhaust made there is no guarantee on fitment, sound, and power. You also have to realize that the y pipe is very hard for a muffler shop to create when they only have a chop saw, so your Y pipe will most likely end up as a T pipe. You also have to realize that the shop will not use mandrel bent piping, it will be mild steel, and will be heavier than an aftermarket piece.
Old 11-06-07 | 11:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you assume no exhaust shop can mandrel bend their own pipe?
Old 11-06-07 | 11:46 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I went with a custom design cause theres nothing solid out there. So until then Im very happy. Ive heard the Tanabe with the secondaries pulled and it sounds sick! Heres the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-d8IlLwkUo
Old 11-06-07 | 11:47 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why do you assume no exhaust shop can mandrel bend their own pipe?
Im sure its cause the of the price of the machine, if Im correct it costs like $20k or something outrageous.
Old 11-06-07 | 12:04 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I went with a custom design cause theres nothing solid out there. So until then Im very happy. Ive heard the Tanabe with the secondaries pulled and it sounds sick! Heres the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-d8IlLwkUo
Cayman's car sounds bad@ss.
Old 11-06-07 | 12:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, mandrel bending machines are pricey, but it's not like you can't find em... there's several local exhaust shops that can do mandrel bent up to 2.5" diameter pipe, and at least one that does larger... (I know because they did a mandrel bent custom 3" cat-back for my wifes Supra)
Old 11-06-07 | 01:21 PM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by TypeX
I would stay away from custom if I were you. Aftermarket exhausts are tuned for power and sound. When you get a custom exhaust made there is no guarantee on fitment, sound, and power. You also have to realize that the y pipe is very hard for a muffler shop to create when they only have a chop saw, so your Y pipe will most likely end up as a T pipe. You also have to realize that the shop will not use mandrel bent piping, it will be mild steel, and will be heavier than an aftermarket piece.
You are the only person on this site I have read say that. Everyone is saying that most of the aftermarket exhausts fit horribly, and hang super low. I have seen the pics in previous threads. Yes they are tuned, but not tuned to be laying on the pavement after they get ripped off due to such low clearance. I am not planning on taking my car to any old mom and pap muffler shop either. A friend of mine had his custom made with Magnaflow cans and loved it, and it sounded great. There is another guy from Texas in a previous thread that did it, and most have agreed with him that it was the best option. Im just hoping for a great fit, good gains, and a good sound for way less than $1300. What I would pay for a Borla.
Old 11-06-07 | 02:16 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Megan Full Exhaust

You are the only person on this site I have read say that. Everyone is saying that most of the aftermarket exhausts fit horribly, and hang super low. I have seen the pics in previous threads. Yes they are tuned, but not tuned to be laying on the pavement after they get ripped off due to such low clearance. I am not planning on taking my car to any old mom and pap muffler shop either. A friend of mine had his custom made with Magnaflow cans and loved it, and it sounded great. There is another guy from Texas in a previous thread that did it, and most have agreed with him that it was the best option. Im just hoping for a great fit, good gains, and a good sound for way less than $1300. What I would pay for a Borla.
You can't forget about the Megan (Header-Back) set up. My dyno chart went from 252rwhp to 268rwhp, so I know it adds power and I didn't have any problems with fitment either.

Give it some thought..It's not cheap though. Here are some pics of mine along with a couple other pictures of the set up that I had laying around.

Old 11-07-07 | 02:25 PM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Chaser07
You can't forget about the Megan (Header-Back) set up. My dyno chart went from 252rwhp to 268rwhp, so I know it adds power and I didn't have any problems with fitment either.

Give it some thought..It's not cheap though. Here are some pics of mine along with a couple other pictures of the set up that I had laying around.

Looks sweet, do you have any videos of the sound? On the website it said minimal noise increase. I would like a increase in the sound.
Old 11-07-07 | 02:35 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I dont think it would be minimal noise increase IMO cause of the Ti tips...
Old 11-08-07 | 06:41 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default You Tube Links to Megan (SOUND)

Looks sweet, do you have any videos of the sound? On the website it said minimal noise increase. I would like a increase in the sound.
Here are a couple videos from You Tube with a kid that has my set up but I'm not sure if he has the full kit because mine is about 30%-50% louder than this...Unless he just installed it because mine has gotten louder since the install. Plus my Injen Intake really helps to bring out the sound as well.

Remember, This video does not do this set up justice...Just for that...I'm going to get a sound clip of my car up here for you. I'll also scan both my before & after Dyno results to show you my 15rwhp gain is for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ-vTHbKpxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beb67aBHUbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAVSvyRxxNg
Old 11-08-07 | 02:29 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

dont like the sound really...idk if it was me or my internet connection but it sounded like his exhaust sputtered or he doesnt shift very well lol....or maybe my connection stopped then went on again causing the sound disturbance.. ^^ and for the person with the hks hi power i love that exhaust and i dont think its ricey at all...its big but i think it matches awesome. =P sounds good too!
Old 11-08-07 | 03:08 PM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by lexy250
dont like the sound really...idk if it was me or my internet connection but it sounded like his exhaust sputtered or he doesnt shift very well lol....or maybe my connection stopped then went on again causing the sound disturbance.. ^^ and for the person with the hks hi power i love that exhaust and i dont think its ricey at all...its big but i think it matches awesome. =P sounds good too!
It sounded to me like he had it in manual mode and wasnt shifting till he hit the rev limiter. Sounded alright, but I wil have to say that I have heard better. I think it definetly is one of the quieter exhausts out there. Looks sic though.
Old 11-08-07 | 03:09 PM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Chaser07
Here are a couple videos from You Tube with a kid that has my set up but I'm not sure if he has the full kit because mine is about 30%-50% louder than this...Unless he just installed it because mine has gotten louder since the install. Plus my Injen Intake really helps to bring out the sound as well.

Remember, This video does not do this set up justice...Just for that...I'm going to get a sound clip of my car up here for you. I'll also scan both my before & after Dyno results to show you my 15rwhp gain is for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ-vTHbKpxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beb67aBHUbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAVSvyRxxNg
Yah, I would really like to hear yours versus his. Thanks
Old 11-09-07 | 07:03 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Will Do!

Yah, I would really like to hear yours versus his. Thanks
I'll try to knock that out th is weekend. And for the record, YES that kid is an idiot and does not know how to shift before it hits the redline! haha

The Megan is kind of an acquired sound though. It's different because it's a lil higher pitched exhaust. I'd say it's a cross between a Supra & a crotch rocket....Mine is atleast

Quick Reply: exhaust??