Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aFe intake review on is350!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 07:01 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
i dont see how this is true... none are actually sealed..the stock one has a hole in it.. are you saying that the plastic box on the stock one cools the air that comes in..?
The stock box is fully sealed except where the cold air snorkel attaches. Of course, there is also a seal between the box and snorkel too, so there shouldn't be any hot air coming in at all.
Old 11-07-07, 08:11 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh well what about the new f sport intake.. doen't it have two holes in the air box, so it wouldnt be considered sealed, would it?
Old 11-07-07, 08:19 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

oh well what about the new f sport intake.. doen't it have two holes in the air box, so it wouldnt be considered sealed, would it?
It does have 2 holes, so unless it includes a 2nd cold air snorkel, it's a hot air intake. That's why I wouldn't consider buying it.
Old 11-07-07, 08:21 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

so then you really think that the f sport could actually lose power? sinc i guess you could call it a hot air intake..
Old 11-07-07, 08:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

so then you really think that the f sport could actually lose power? sinc i guess you could call it a hot air intake..
I would expect so.
Old 11-07-07, 09:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless the F-sport intake is going to have a second snorkel tube that wasn't ready in time for SEMA... there must be SOME good reason it'll be another 4-5 months before they go on sale :P
Old 11-07-07, 09:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Unless the F-sport intake is going to have a second snorkel tube that wasn't ready in time for SEMA... there must be SOME good reason it'll be another 4-5 months before they go on sale :P
I'm pretty sure the F-Sport intake will have the snorkel. It probably wasn't included in the display because of how it would look.
Old 11-07-07, 09:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The only thing that makes me doubt it will have a snorkel is the difference in design of the 2 holes. The 2nd hole looks like it has a velocity stack on it.
Old 11-07-07, 09:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Sorry for going off topic...

Originally Posted by caymandive
I'm pretty sure the F-Sport intake will have the snorkel. It probably wasn't included in the display because of how it would look.
Preliminary investigations show there is only the main one for now.. already found on our cars...

Good job Javier!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=186

Even if a second is provided, where will it lead to??

(I know the answer)

Joe Z
Old 11-07-07, 11:19 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Even if a second is provided, where will it lead to??
The driver's butt?
Old 11-11-07, 08:29 AM
CrazyIS
Rookie

Well I am glad someone else went out and got and AFE Intake. I reported on this back in Augest. I get the same feel off of this intake 3000 rpm and up I feel a surge of torque. The tube is not plastic its something else like ceramic or something but you would have to ask AFE. When you tap on it it kinda has a glass feel. The filter is huge, and it's wide open to the back unlike other cone filters. Also the heat shield takes advantage of the front snorkal by sealing itself on the end of the snorkal.
Old 11-12-07, 01:26 AM
genki
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyIS
Well I am glad someone else went out and got and AFE Intake. I reported on this back in Augest. I get the same feel off of this intake 3000 rpm and up I feel a surge of torque. The tube is not plastic its something else like ceramic or something but you would have to ask AFE. When you tap on it it kinda has a glass feel. The filter is huge, and it's wide open to the back unlike other cone filters. Also the heat shield takes advantage of the front snorkal by sealing itself on the end of the snorkal.
Yeah. The heatshield as you mentioned also does a good job. I'm quite surprised not many people in this forum go for the aFe instead of all the choices out there. The material in the tube i must say i'm not sure, its plasticky, but like you mentioned it has a glass feel.
Old 11-12-07, 10:10 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afe dynos results? lol i was just about to buy joez and now im thinking ...maybe afe..
Old 11-12-07, 10:22 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by i3urton
afe dynos results? lol i was just about to buy joez and now im thinking ...maybe afe..
Any dyno results of a short ram intake with the hood open is counter-intelligence at best.
Old 11-12-07, 10:46 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if you bought the lil rubber piece that is around our hood to air seal this heat shield like a air box would....,,, just my 2 cents,,,, and for the dyno...with the egine covers on..so only air from the snorkel goes in...

Quick Reply: aFe intake review on is350!