Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

nos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 07:16 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Hmm...good to know about nitrous. Thanks James, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just telling you what I was told. I see you ran 12.4 now? Nice!! Sorry off topic
It's all good and I know you weren't disagreeing. I did some some homework about N2O when Jeremy first posted about his setup and learned a lot. Glad to be able to help other CL members.

PS..Yeah 12.4 so far and hoping for a 12.3 by the end of 08. I just got some Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials to help with traction issues.
Old 11-05-08, 09:04 PM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Won't that really bump compression to like 14:1 or higher?
to be honest i dont know my compression is, but i know my AFR is not good when injecting N2O in the motor...lol, but regardless i barely ever us it.
Old 11-06-08, 06:14 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
The compression ratio won't change with N20 unless it changes your piston's face, bore, or combustion chamber volume at the same time.

Also from what I have heard N20 seems to like engines with higher compression ratios.
Your compression does change kinda. The static pressure inside of the combustion chamber rises because of the nitrogen. Nitrogen can not be compressed so the space it takes up causes the cylinder pressure to rise with gives the same effect as raising the compression of the motor. So a common calculation is for every 75hp shot your static compression will rise a full point. 11.8.1 + 75hp = 12.8.1 This is why I ran 100 octane with this last setup.

James your other post is correct also where the N2O splits and provides more oxygen for the burn.
Old 11-06-08, 06:19 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JohnnyIS25
to be honest i dont know my compression is, but i know my AFR is not good when injecting N2O in the motor...lol, but regardless i barely ever us it.
You'll have to increase your fueling jet by two sizes for the ISx50's.
Old 11-06-08, 06:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Your compression does change kinda. The static pressure inside of the combustion chamber rises because of the nitrogen. Nitrogen can not be compressed so the space it takes up causes the cylinder pressure to rise with gives the same effect as raising the compression of the motor. So a common calculation is for every 75hp shot your static compression will rise a full point. 11.8.1 + 75hp = 12.8.1 This is why I ran 100 octane with this last setup.

James your other post is correct also where the N2O splits and provides more oxygen for the burn.
Nitrogen, like any gas, can be compressed. Otherwise, you would have to pump it out of your bottle like gasoline.
Old 11-06-08, 07:23 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Hehe, Let me clarify.... I knew I'd be called out.
Nitrogen can be compressed, but unlike other gases it does not bond to other like molecules under the pressures in the combustion chamber. It takes pressure for the nitrogen to release from the oxygen but it does not bond to anything else otherwise it would start to turn into a liquid. Also the nitrogen can not burn it just takes up space, this space it takes up causes the compression to rise.
Old 11-06-08, 09:07 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Jeremy.. did you run 100 octane gas with this run?
Old 11-06-08, 10:52 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Yes.......
Old 11-06-08, 11:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Hehe, Let me clarify.... I knew I'd be called out.
Nitrogen can be compressed, but unlike other gases it does not bond to other like molecules under the pressures in the combustion chamber. It takes pressure for the nitrogen to release from the oxygen but it does not bond to anything else otherwise it would start to turn into a liquid. Also the nitrogen can not burn it just takes up space, this space it takes up causes the compression to rise.
Let's try some real science here. This is a mass flow issue, not a "nitrogen" issue. Pressurizing nitrogen does not make it liquefy. Removing heat from it does. True for all gases.

What is happening is you have the same mechanical volume, but with N2O you have more gas molecules joining the party. So your static compression ratio is unchanged (can't be changed anyway), but the dynamic compression ratio rises because you've got more molecules in the combustion chamber. N2O is a small molecule and when you heat it to strip off the O, you end up having more molecules in the same mechanical volume, so your pressure has to rise (pressure is the result of gas molecules colliding with the walls of the containment vessel, more molecules with the same amount of heat means more pressure, except that there is heat absorbed when the oxygen leaves the nitrogen - a good thing - and pressure, volume & heat are inextricably related to each other - see Charle's law and Boyle's law.)

So what you are seeing is not increased compression, just increased cylinder pressure from having more molecules before the bang - and from the gas laws we know increased pressure means increased temperature which means a higher octane fuel is required to prevent detonation. Add to this a slightly greater number of oxygen molecules, and you get a need for more fuel along with more heat which ends up being more power.

Pure oxygen has been attempted in the past as a power adder. Unfortunately pure oxygen burns through practically any material we've used to make an engine, and isolating oxygen from whole air is not exactly cheap or particularly safe. Liquid oxygen is extremely dangerous.
Old 11-06-08, 01:36 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

It is important to note that NOS by itself does not add much power. Rather it allows the engine to burn more fuel by increasing the oxygen content. The dry kits add fuel by tweaking the fuel presure regulator etc...

So some people like to play it safe and richen the fuel in a NOS shot to protect against going lean. But they should be reducing the NO jet as adding and burning more fuel is where the power comes from.

Last edited by Gaugster; 11-06-08 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 04:22 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Let's try some real science here. This is a mass flow issue, not a "nitrogen" issue. Pressurizing nitrogen does not make it liquefy. Removing heat from it does. True for all gases.

What is happening is you have the same mechanical volume, but with N2O you have more gas molecules joining the party. So your static compression ratio is unchanged (can't be changed anyway), but the dynamic compression ratio rises because you've got more molecules in the combustion chamber. N2O is a small molecule and when you heat it to strip off the O, you end up having more molecules in the same mechanical volume, so your pressure has to rise (pressure is the result of gas molecules colliding with the walls of the containment vessel, more molecules with the same amount of heat means more pressure, except that there is heat absorbed when the oxygen leaves the nitrogen - a good thing - and pressure, volume & heat are inextricably related to each other - see Charles's law and Boyle's law.)

So what you are seeing is not increased compression, just increased cylinder pressure from having more molecules before the bang - and from the gas laws we know increased pressure means increased temperature which means a higher octane fuel is required to prevent detonation. Add to this a slightly greater number of oxygen molecules, and you get a need for more fuel along with more heat which ends up being more power.

Pure oxygen has been attempted in the past as a power adder. Unfortunately pure oxygen burns through practically any material we've used to make an engine, and isolating oxygen from whole air is not exactly cheap or particularly safe. Liquid oxygen is extremely dangerous.
I was just trying to make it simple for the layman's. And I have obviously been put in my place. I feel like Sarah Palin. For future quotes I will try to remain silent and refrain from my ignorant comments sir's; it is obvious I know nothing about Nitrous.
Old 11-09-08, 12:23 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Nice work...
Old 11-12-08, 11:12 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

hmmm... dont know much about cars but this could blow yur car op no?
Old 11-12-08, 11:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
hmmm... dont know much about cars but this could blow yur car op no?
it can blow up your engine if you don't know what you're doing
Old 11-12-08, 04:42 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
it can blow up your engine if you don't know what you're doing
Knowing what you're doing just reduces the risk. Even if you know what you're doing, you could still have a solenoid stick open or closed or a nozzle clog and blow your motor.

Quick Reply: nos?