Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

nos?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 05:56 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
so im guessing that doing a nitrous kit will pretty much destroy the warranty on my engine??
I'll say yes (just so that everyone on the forum knows the risk) but if you return the car to stock before taking it in for any warranty work then they can't say anything to you. The most common thing to happen to a motor on NOS is a blown head gasket. 2nd would be if you leaned it out to much, most likly some burnt valves. From what I've read on TIS about this motor its made to handle alot of detonation on the bottom end.( not that its good to have detonation) TIS talks about how advanced the timing control is on these motors. So the bottom end with even a lean burn I feel is pretty safe. NOS is tricky though. So if you have never used or installed NOS leave it up to someone who has. Have them put the kit on for you. Just for that reason I will not do any DIY's on NOS installs. Leave it to the pros or persons who have done this before. I have blown motors using NOS ( all of them were HONDAs HA) so be careful. All this being said if you stay to the smaller shots and have a clean install then you'll have no prolbems using NOS.

Last edited by HKS350; 12-06-07 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 06:23 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really wouldn't surprise me at all if a 55 shot would break the tires loose in 1st gear even with drag radials, but you would have to be on some crappy tires or roads to have a problem in 2nd gear. If the tires can handle 300 HP at the crank in 1st gear, then they should be able to handle 500 HP at the crank in 2nd gear.
Attached Thumbnails nos?-is350-accel-plot-5.jpg  
Old 12-06-07, 07:47 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Gernby, You have got to be the biggest hater on this forum! Is this your way of tring to call me out. If you don't beileve me then buy a NOS kit, slap it on and PROVE me wrong. Stop throwing up charts and tring to prove me wrong on paper. Every time I do somthing in the real world you come back with some kind of theroy that hasn't been proven. It has nothing to do with tires!!! It has to do with the sudden increase in power. NOS is not progressive.( unless you buy a progressive controller) It is all the HP the car has and the 55 hp shot at the same time. I don't know about your car but mine breaks the tires lose in frist everytime I lay into it. And on cold nights it does it in second gear. Iguess I need to get to the track and throw down some numbers. Maybe this time I'll try. Unlike the two passes I made last time. The funny thing is my bottle was cold. 850psi. I realize that by most of your comments that you've never had NOS and have never ride'n in a car with it. The best thing you can do is try it and stop tring to prove it wrong. Look i'm not tring to be a ****, but unless you've tried it then don't knock it. Alot of people trust you and only you on this forum and here you are tring to argue about tire spin. Kinda childish, or may I'd like to see more substance from you. Not hating.

Last edited by HKS350; 12-06-07 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 08:00 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeremy,

This is a great break through for the IS350! Though I'm not a fan of NOS myself it really is quite an achievement to be the first brave soul to try this power adder on such an expensive piece of machinery.

I'll be following your progress closely and looking forward to your low 12 second times pending traction.
Old 12-06-07, 08:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Gernby, You have got to be the biggest hater on this forum! Is this your way of tring to call me out. If you don't beileve me then buy a NOS kit, slap it on and PROVE me wrong. Stop throwing up charts and tring to prove me wrong on paper. Every time I do somthing in the real world you come back with some kind of theroy that hasn't been proven. It has nothing to do with tires!!! It has to do with the sudden increase in power. NOS is not progressive.( unless you buy a progressive controller) It is all the HP the car has and the 55 hp shot at the same time. I don't know about your car but mine breaks the tires lose in frist everytime I lay into it. And on cold nights it does it in second gear. Iguess I need to get to the track and throw down some numbers. Maybe this time I'll try. Unlike the two passes I made last time. The funny thing is my bottle was cold. 850psi. I realize that by most of your comments that you've never had NOS and have never ride'n in a car with it. The best thing you can do is try it and stop tring to prove it wrong. Look i'm not tring to be a ****, but unless you've tried it then don't knock it. Alot of people trust you and only you on this forum and here you are tring to argue about tire spin. Kinda childish, or may I'd like to see more substance from you. Not hating.
Jeremy,

I'm really not trying to call you out or anything, and I fully admit I have no experience with N2O. I'm also very excited about your install, and look forward to seeing what a difference it makes at a track.

What I was saying above is that it sounds like you are either on crap tires, or roads with a very low coeficient of friction. The coeficient of friction of rubber on asphalt could be as low as .5, while concrete could be as high as .85. It is very hard for me to break my tires loose near my house where we have the grippiest concrete I've ever seen, but if I go closer to downtown where there is a bunch of slick asphalt, I can't even give half throttle in 2nd gear without VDIM cutting power.
Old 12-06-07, 08:42 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get a chance, could you take some videos, because I am really excited about you running NOS in your car, and I cannot wait to see this beast run!
Old 12-06-07, 08:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It would be cool to get a video from inside the car at night!

Last edited by Gernby; 12-06-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 09:26 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

^^ yea that would be awesome
Old 12-06-07, 09:48 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

I'll try to get some footage by this weekend.
Old 12-06-07, 12:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Which Zex kit did you purchase? Also, did you look to see if there was a place on the fuel rail that you could use to provide fuel without having to tap it where you did?

BTW, Taylor said earlier that the N20 shot ratings are supposedly based on rwhp, not crank HP. Considering that, I wonder what the assumed drivetrain loss is for that rating. It's pretty obvious that our drivetrain has very little loss compared to other cars, so I wonder if a "75 shot" for a 350Z might actually be like an 85 shot on a 2IS. BTW, I'm basing this on the dynojet run files that Taylor gave me last year when he dyno'ed my car at KCM. The 350Z's and G35's were all dyno'ing in the 230-240 range, but mine dyno'ed in the mid 270's when it was in "stock" mode (piggy-back disabled).
Old 12-06-07, 01:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeremy

Do you have a dyno nearby? I'd love to see what the car puts down with and without the N2O. That may help Gernby with his suspicion of rwhp increases at certain ratings.
Old 12-06-07, 01:58 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Do we need to start a dyno fund? I would contribute $20.
Old 12-06-07, 02:22 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

HA! lol dyno fund. I'll see what I can do. Their are a few dyno's around. I have an appt. to get my exhaust done tommrow and after that I'm kinda tapped out this month. I still have to buy the kids x-mas. I'd like to know also. I'm thinking 300-315 whp.
Gernby, I never though about the kit for the 350Z in that way. When I was picking out the kit, I went for the one that had the closest fuel psi as our cars do. The 350z runs 50psi and our's @ 58psi. This is the closest I could get. I'd like to get on the dyno just to start triming back fuel with the N20 jets. As for the fuel tap--- I went back and forth on where to tap. The fuel rails are out though. The port side are cast tubing and the direct is 600 psi. You can buy a fuel psi test kit from SNAP-ON and it will connect between the factory quick connect fittings..You can use the port for the gauge to tap fuel. I have lexus SST #'S if you want. This was my 1st option. But at $400.00 it is cheaper to by another factory flex pipe. It was a pain in the *** finding fuel hose that was rated for what are cars putout. When the port injector cut off the psi spikes to @85psi.

Last edited by HKS350; 12-06-07 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 02:40 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

^^ what are you getting done to your exhaust?
Old 12-06-07, 03:01 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
^^ what are you getting done to your exhaust?
I'm having 2.5" pipe ran from the primary cats to the HKS axle back exhaust I have now. I'm adding an H-pipe after the tranmission. I decided to go with an H-pipe for a smoother sound. All the X-pipes I've been hearing lately have a raspy sound. And the buzzy raspy noise is not worth the 1hp gain I'll get from X-pipe. So H-pipe it is. And I just want to see what makes more power. Borla and a couple more companys are already using X-pipes. I think LMS uses an H-pipe and so far they show the most hp gain.

Quick Reply: nos?