Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TC question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02 | 04:12 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Default TC question???

please excuse my limited knowledge of the subject matter but.....
if i were to purchase a TC with a 2400 stall, would my transmission not slip somewhat at a cruise speed of say 60 or 65 (not that i spend much time at that speed) due to the rpms being below the stall. i discussed this with my brother who has a V8, tricked out vega that he drags. he said that due to the stall, it would cause some slippage. he has a converter on it and says that that will be the case. i dont know, in all honesty, but i would seriously like to purchase one if it doesnt compromise driveability. i have done the searches and everyone says that it doesnt, but that is a question that i need to have addressed. if the tranny is slipping at that speed/rpm, then it cant be doing good things to it. thanx in advance.

Doc
Old 01-19-02 | 04:42 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

DrRick: The "simple" answer:

At cruise the TC will lock at which point it is just like the stock one, no "slippage" and no difference in fuel economy vs the stock converter. It will allow the trans to kick down more quickly though so slight throttle variations may unlock it.

Second, the feeling you have isn't of the transmission slipping but rather the TC. The TC transfers power from the input shaft (connected to the engine) to the output shaft (connected to the trans). The TC will allow the engine to get up to revs quicker before it starts transferring power to the output shaft. The transmission isn't slipping (where the bands don't have enough force to engage the gears) but it does "feel" like it. The real downside is that the TC heats up the trans fluid more which is why a trans cooler is recommended if you get a TC.

If you want "real/detailed" info on TC see http://www.converter.cc/ under FAQs

Hope that helps,

Peter
Old 01-19-02 | 05:14 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

thanx a ton for the info, peter. that answered ALL of the questions that were scurrying about my scrambled brain. as with most people on this board, i had misgivings about abusing the drivetrain of a $50K "luxury" car in order to gain some performance. now that thats cleared up, i guess Mo will be getting a call. again thanx, but also i have to admit that i hate you. it is b/c of your experiences that i am drooling at the thought of a supercharger on my ride. DAMN YOU!!!!!!

Doc