Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hi guys, a few questions v. turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 08:09 PM
lsarenice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys, a few questions v. turbo

I've been thinking about turbocharging the 2JZ-GE motor. I know it comes in the IS, GS, and the SC, as well as N/A Supras.

I see there are a few lower end companies that make turbo manifolds (SSAutoChrome, X02 racing, etc) but I don't see any for 98+ GS300s, except for the $5k SRT kit.

My questions for now are

1. Who makes turbo manifolds for the 2JZ-GE motors besides these people, I notice Turbonetics used to make them but don't now.

2. What's different about the 98+ SC300 to not have a turbo manifold/not many turbo kits available

3. Will any 2JZ-GE turbo manifold I find fit any 2JZ-GE car?

4. Will either the 5 speed or the 6 speed manual bolt into a GS.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-07, 08:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't answer all the questions for you, but here is a link for the turbo manifold from a Clublexus vendor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319702
Old 11-24-07, 03:53 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

or buy a jzs161 front clip+tranny and swap everything over..
Old 11-24-07, 07:43 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
I can't answer all the questions for you, but here is a link for the turbo manifold from a Clublexus vendor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319702
THis should just about sum it up for you. I was thinking to send the same link. Worked with Jason in the past for headers and y-pipe. Trust him and his advise completely.
Old 11-24-07, 09:09 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

1. Who makes turbo manifolds for the 2JZ-GE motors besides these people, I notice Turbonetics used to make them but don't now.
Turbonetics has the log style cast iron manifold. Swift Racing Technologies used to use their own log style manifold for a while, but they have since switched to the commonly used China made stainless steel tubular manifold. Several other tuners are following suit. Even JPI manifold and intercooler are the same ones you can find on ebay. They are all made by overseas manufacturers in China. The quality is actually quite good for what you pay for the manifold. Obviously it won't be as good as a custom one-off race built fully ported manifold with tuned runner length and diameters. But it's performance doesn't lag too far behind and it's a debate of a $100-200(depending on how cheap you can find it, some places are cheaper than others but they're all basically made by the same few manufacturers) vs a $2000 custom race manifold.

2. What's different about the 98+ SC300 to not have a turbo manifold/not many turbo kits available
Most likely due to the newer generation Lexus ECU's with VVTi. It's much more difficult to tune(actually more of the difficulty of keeping the tune from changing and going out of tune) and work with compared to the older non VVTi units. Most of the big name companies just refuse to do it stricly for reliability issues that could tarnish their name. Also due to the sheer low quantity of demand(how many Lexus people boost their cars compared to say 350Z's). It's the smaller tuners that end up picking up the legwork in making turbo kits. Most of them do it quite well and make very respectable numbers.

3. Will any 2JZ-GE turbo manifold I find fit any 2JZ-GE car?
Yes. All 2jz-GE use the same exhaust flange shape and bolt pattern. What you have to worry about is how the manifold is angled and what angle the turbo flange is at. Either way the GS has a really big engine bay, so anything you buy is most likely going to fit just fine. It's when you start getting a huge turbo that you will run into clearance issues. When I say huge, I mean a turbo that's bigger than a persons head.

4. Will either the 5 speed or the 6 speed manual bolt into a GS.
Yes, but you're still gonna have to find a way to configure the car to run without an auto. The factory ecu will freak out if you don't have an auto transmission hooked up to it. So more than likely, you're going to have to get a standalone engine management. Also, you have to have custom mounts made, custom brackets, custom driveshaft, and you have to fabricate some kind of shift boot and center console area for the shifter inside the car. So in short, the Supra transmissions will bolt right up to the 2JZ(all have the same bolt pattern wether it be GE, GTE, VVTi or whatever). It's just the sheer cost of getting all that custom fabrication, engine management, and labor to get everything to work. This is a popular swap for people that have the IS300. They usually spend close to $8-10K just to swap to the Supra V160 6-speed transmission!

Either way, good luck and have fun on boosting...I know I have . Just keep in mind, it's not cheap if you want to do it the right way. Don't go cheap on your project either or else you will risk blowing something up. As many people say in the 2JZ-GE NA-T world...do it right or do it twice!

Last edited by JeffTsai; 11-24-07 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-24-07, 09:24 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Well said!
Old 12-11-07, 10:23 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
I would appreciate if you do a little more research on our manifold before you compare them to the ones on Ebay. We had them manufacture to our specs and the fact is we put 2 years warranty on them! Next time please check with me before you make the assumption on our products. Thank you.
JPI