Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking of getting Tanabe - need answers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 10:36 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of getting Tanabe - need answers

I'm contemplating on getting the Tanabe Medallion Touring. I seems to be the most popular choice amongst CL members. Before I decided to splurge on it, I have a few questions.

Is the exhaust really quiet? I know it's rated at 93 db. Some say it's quiet and some say it gets louder with age. I don't want anything too obtrusive and annoying. i.e. not ricey. I love the exhaust sounds from the 350Z and Gs and want something like that for my IS. Something that would get the right amount of attention, but not too much.

Is there any significant power loss/gain with a stock intake? Is the sound output louder with an AEM intake system compared to OEM?
Old 11-24-07, 12:56 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search here on Tanabe….is enough info to answer all your questions.
Old 11-24-07, 05:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dappy
Is the exhaust really quiet? I know it's rated at 93 db. Some say it's quiet and some say it gets louder with age. I don't want anything too obtrusive and annoying. i.e. not ricey. I love the exhaust sounds from the 350Z and Gs and want something like that for my IS. Something that would get the right amount of attention, but not too much.

Is there any significant power loss/gain with a stock intake? Is the sound output louder with an AEM intake system compared to OEM?
I have the Tanabe, and I bought it used ("broken in").

It is noticably different and prominent, but not "ricey." I like to listen to classical music and watch DVDs, and the exhaust note is not obtrusive, even with the windows down. It does have a nice low tone in lower RPMs, and it never "screams." I used to have the HKS Hi-Power, and that "screams"!!!

As far as power gain, I don't find significant gains compared to the stock exhaust system. Yes, there are gains, just not significant. I never did do a dyno comparison, so I can only comment on "feel." The HKS Hi-Power had a much more improved "feel" compared to the Tanabe, but I just couldn't sacrifice sound quality for power.