Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TOMS exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 06:47 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno-Jet

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I know its going to be hard to believe me..

But I have done some extensive DYNO Testing (using a DYNOJET system) and 16rwhp on the IS350 from the Megan exhaust or any exhaust is very, very hard get..
10-12 rwhp is very doable.

I assume your DYNO testing was done on something other than the Dynojet system...??

Joe Z
Yes sir...Both were done on a Dyno-Jet...@ a place called Dallas Mustang to be exact.

The first one was 252 with just my Injen SRI, then a month later I got the Megan, broke it in, then dyno'd it again @ 267 & some change.(Almost 268) So in all reality the gain was 15rwhp & some change

I'll see if I can get them scanned to post.
Old 11-30-07, 07:23 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Were these SAE corrected values? Please do scan the plots.
Old 11-30-07, 08:00 AM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

While the dynojet numbers are a good base reference, there is usually a 2-10+ rwhp variable from run to run. Heck most of the cars that I have dynoed with zero modifications from one day to the next will have this variable. Add on top of that all of the other issues that cannot be kept constant and you have at best a resolution of 1/100. Meaning on a 250 rear wheel car you AT BEST have a +/- 2.5 hp from one day to another or from one run to the next.

Only point being that I wouldn't call it unlikely or even be one bit surprised if someone got an extra 5 hp from a certain exhaust. I've seen cars loose rwhp numbers on the dyno after performing small changes from run to run that absolutely increased actual power.
Old 11-30-07, 10:46 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dynos are so tricky ...i would test it out on the track...
Old 11-30-07, 11:31 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Test

Originally Posted by i3urton
Yes, I do realize that the numbers can be all over the board with just 3 runs, but 252 & 267 were the best to talk about for my before & after results. :-) I guess I'll have to go back & test my 1/8th mile again to get the true difference. I'm pretty sure I ran a real high 8 sec run bone stock on a hot day.

Gernby,
Was it you that was talking about using that B-12 Chemtool stuff a while back? I went and bought some yesterday and poured the whole can in with a half a tank of gas(haha) & the difference is like night & day with that stuff!
Old 11-30-07, 11:32 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Supposed to stop by

Originally Posted by Taylor@DP
While the dynojet numbers are a good base reference, there is usually a 2-10+ rwhp variable from run to run. Heck most of the cars that I have dynoed with zero modifications from one day to the next will have this variable. Add on top of that all of the other issues that cannot be kept constant and you have at best a resolution of 1/100. Meaning on a 250 rear wheel car you AT BEST have a +/- 2.5 hp from one day to another or from one run to the next.

Only point being that I wouldn't call it unlikely or even be one bit surprised if someone got an extra 5 hp from a certain exhaust. I've seen cars loose rwhp numbers on the dyno after performing small changes from run to run that absolutely increased actual power.
My bad Taylor...I was supposed to stop by today but I ended up dropping off one of my wheels to get fixed. We'll talk Monday
Old 11-30-07, 11:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by i3urton
Dyno results are FAR more repeatable than track results, and provide a hell of a lot more data.
Old 11-30-07, 11:47 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chaser07
Gernby,
Was it you that was talking about using that B-12 Chemtool stuff a while back? I went and bought some yesterday and poured the whole can in with a half a tank of gas(haha) & the difference is like night & day with that stuff!
Definitely not me. I wouldn't expect ANY fuel additive to make any difference at all unless you've been using crap gas for 50K miles.
Old 11-30-07, 12:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Yes sir...Both were done on a Dyno-Jet...@ a place called Dallas Mustang to be exact.

The first one was 252 with just my Injen SRI, then a month later I got the Megan, broke it in, then dyno'd it again @ 267 & some change.(Almost 268) So in all reality the gain was 15rwhp & some change

I'll see if I can get them scanned to post.
That’s pretty good numbers.. I thought they used the "Mustang Dyno"..

But with out a base number to compare it to, you don't really know how much was gained.

Just a quick FYI and for you and a few others...

I have repeatedly tested 3 different IS350's on the same Dyno Jet system and location, on 3 different occasions months and months apart..
They always had a base run of 265 Rwhp (Bone Stock)
Dyno'd in 4th gear & SAE corrected.

If properly calibrated the same DYNO should normally yield the same base number on the same bone stock car.

Joe Z
Old 11-30-07, 04:16 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Mustang Dyno

But with out a base number to compare it to, you don't really know how much was gained.

I have repeatedly tested 3 different IS350's on the same Dyno Jet system and location, on 3 different occasions months and months apart..

If properly calibrated the same DYNO should normally yield the same base number on the same bone stock car.

Joe Z
Nope...Dyno-Jet... http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/dynotuning.php

I guess I got a Lemmon then
Old 11-30-07, 04:19 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

what is SAE?
Old 12-01-07, 10:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I think it is Society of Automotive Engineers.
Old 12-02-07, 02:08 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

Joe Z

Over the course of hundreds of vehicle dynos on a dyno jet and mustang dyno - I would have to completely dis-agree on the close repeatability. Like I said at best is 1/100 tolerance from run to run. I don't care if you let the car "cool down" each run or run back to back there are too many variables.

On second thought, unless you have the dyno resolution backed way down in which case you will have much less deviation because it is rounding all inputs before and after calculations...
Old 12-02-07, 02:09 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

My bad Taylor...I was supposed to stop by today but I ended up dropping off one of my wheels to get fixed. We'll talk Monday
No problem...
Old 12-10-07, 07:57 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but if you use a dyno and track times as reference its more accurate..for your performance gains...right?

Last edited by i3urton; 12-10-07 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: TOMS exhaust