Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ecu...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 12:29 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecu...

when are we going to have ecu like the 335i..for our is350.. i hope his engine melts...that jealousy talking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbJU30FdTwI
Old 12-06-07, 02:49 PM
blake0387
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer to that question is never. Well, I say never but what I really mean is that we won't ever see one that gives the kinds of gains that 335 owners are seeing. Reprogramming the ECU of an engine with forced induction is quite different than one without. Large jumps in horsepower can be achieved with relatively little work because they can "basically" just turn up the boost, whereas we cannot. Don't burn me down because I said you can just turn up the boost, I know it is a bit more complicated than that, but for simplicity's sake...

I would imagine when we eventually see an ECU reflash for our cars the maximum gains we could expect to see are probably somewhere in the 15-20 hp at the crank, but even that might be a bit optimistic.
Old 12-06-07, 02:59 PM
gls350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by i3urton
i hope his engine melts...that jealousy talking...
Hehe yeah I definitely hear you on that one. If only we had a way to increase our HP so much for about only 2k. Ah well, at least our engine doesn't stand as much of a chance of blowing up on us right?.... RIGHT?
Old 12-06-07, 03:11 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

you can for less than 1k..
Old 12-06-07, 03:28 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want to get a 335i as a second car....in my dreams. I like the exterior of the ISxxx so much better.
Old 12-06-07, 10:37 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tom II = ecu in japan but only works with ecu in japan cars is that correct??
Old 12-06-07, 11:23 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

and even if it doesnt, ur gonna have to send ur ecu/car over there for 2 weeks for them to tune, so itll mean no car for 2 weeks and the gains , well not sure as there has been no info out about gains
Old 12-07-07, 07:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty sure it's only for JDM ECUs.... they spec on their $10,000 supercharger it only works if your ECU is a specific part #, which I suspect is the JDM ECU.

I don't know why they can't do US Spec ECUs... not sure if the encyrption is different, they're afraid of a DMCA lawsuit for breaking encryption, or what...
Old 12-07-07, 10:00 PM
MPstyle
Driver

I thought that ECU just eliminated the Top Speed
Old 12-07-07, 11:37 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

haha, no ecu controls many things not limited to: quantity of fuel in ejected into the cylinders , ignition timing, variable valve timing. ecu: electornic control unit so controls anything related to the engine management system,
Old 12-08-07, 12:29 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

You can do whatever you want to your ecu but you would only affect the fuel and timing and possibly the cam timing control. Now how would you get any more air flowing into the engine? A BMW 335i can do that with boost control. Higher boost will net you higher air flow (there are limits too). On an NA engine the limitations are apparent. Most well tuned engines from factory are running their peak performance while simultaneously compromising, fuel economy, drivability and emissions. Enhancing the performance would change the others significantly and 99% of us won't like it. The real solutions is forced induction or Nitrous. Forced induction is a lot of work and tuning and Nitrous, IMO, could use better methods of delivery (of both) instead of a cheap piston solenoid and meter jets with a bottle blanket. There is no regulation of either.
Old 12-08-07, 04:53 PM
MPstyle
Driver

NDK83, your mocking my comment is really uncalled for. We are all aware what ECU controls do.

Thus said upon my own inquiries about the toms unit, i have been told by two independent sources that it only lifts top speed.
Old 12-08-07, 05:42 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Off the tom's website, I don't understand any of it! And I don't even know if it's for the 350,I just thought it was kind of amusing.Toyota car continuing innovation every day, TEC II evolves with an engine computer. TEC II shows disposal of CPU ability to the maximum and controls advanced Toyota engine. Let you splash information of enormous quantity on each other and operate it momentarily, and a control system carried by current Toyota car is made to be able to keep a run state to be the always best in what kind of situation. For example, a condition changed just a little, and paradoxically the attentiveness of the program corresponding to a second was the impregnable fort that it was difficult to change data. It cannot completely hold this system besides TOM'S. The technology of the works that conquered many races in Toyota car right flowered here. TEC II uses an engine bench in own company, data logger freely, and it is realized setting to be most suitable for each base car by a repeated test. We do not tell power performance with numerical value, and get engine feel beyond numerical value. This embodies in thought of the intelligence computer which TOM'S raised. It is required to raise quality of an engine part, but cannot get true sports dynamism to be full of sports driving when I do it without a computer linking those tall handloom ability smoothly
Old 12-08-07, 08:30 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPstyle
NDK83, your mocking my comment is really uncalled for. We are all aware what ECU controls do.

Thus said upon my own inquiries about the toms unit, i have been told by two independent sources that it only lifts top speed.
touchy touchy, i wasnt mockin u, i misread the " THAT ecu" thought u were talking about ecu's in general
Old 12-08-07, 11:50 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPstyle
OFF THE TOMS LEXUS WEBSITE:

"Speed limiters cancellation, various map changes, an electronic throttle map are linear and support an immobilizer."

"It is succeeded by analysis of a 32bit computer armed by the latest technology. It draw potencies of an engine of IS by the latest technology only in a works team and realize a linear accelerator response."

THATS FOR THE T.E. C. II ECU UPGRADE

APPRANATLY U CAN GET JUST THE SPEED LIMIT CANCELATION SEPERATLY FOR 1/3 THE PRICE OF THE ECU UPGRADE.

Last edited by ndk83; 12-08-07 at 11:51 PM. Reason: ENGLISH

Quick Reply: Ecu...