Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Safely supercharge teh IS250

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 08:01 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon Dave, I think we can all agree that the 350's brakes are heavier than the 250's without having to weigh them. Also, we already have a 300+HP AWD in the GS so it can more than likely handle an extra 75 or 100 HP. The reality is, how are you going to get that extra HP out of that engine? It's more of a reality to install the driveline from the AWD GS into the IS than it is to get 100+ HP from the ISX50' engine. Jut some thoughts.
Old 12-18-07, 08:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Automakers put bigger brakes on the higher HP cars because with higher HP there is increased demand for stopping power / performance. As you increase power of the car, every tuner I've ever worked with recommends increasing the stopping power as well. After all, why add the extra HP if you have to drive like a sissy because you're afraid you can't stop after a few hard runs?

Often the bigger brakes are actually lighter in weight (can be cast vs aluminum), but not sure how the 2IS 250 vs 350 measures up. With that question earlier I was trying to clarify if you had some facts behind your rotational mass statement... I do expect they're heavier but it doesn't sound like we know for sure. Not a fact.

I wish you the best of luck in building up your IS250 , I just get concerned when personal opinions come across sounding like they are fact-based. This can cost somebody a lot of unplanned extra money and/or wasted time.
Old 12-18-07, 08:21 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

I think we agree as to the unique-ness of building something like that.
Having said that, when you built your car did you go onto a web sites and just take what someone posted, spent the money and change your direction without researching further or not knowing who was giving that info?
Notice I have about 75 posts on this site, and never once have I claimed to be any type of Lexus Expert.

But I can tell you that the reason this site is so good is because of all the
Trial and error everyone does.

But after all of this I think your right...
I'm headed to the dealer to get a 350...or maybe I should wait for an AWD 400hp lexus...
Old 12-18-07, 08:29 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that the IS 250 AWD can only handle a max of 300 HP b4 u needed to rebuild the tranny . . .

Not a fact or anything . . . just off the top o me head
Old 12-18-07, 08:35 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a good estimate...

If I were to put anytype of power to any engine, I would also invest in a drivetrain that could handle the type of driving I was going to do...
Just my opion...

Do you think these numbers are conservative, based on the general public and the way they would drive?
Old 12-18-07, 08:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Big *****
I think we agree as to the unique-ness of building something like that.
Having said that, when you built your car did you go onto a web sites and just take what someone posted, spent the money and change your direction without researching further or not knowing who was giving that info?
Notice I have about 75 posts on this site, and never once have I claimed to be any type of Lexus Expert.

But I can tell you that the reason this site is so good is because of all the
Trial and error everyone does.

But after all of this I think your right...
I'm headed to the dealer to get a 350...or maybe I should wait for an AWD 400hp lexus...
Lol, I hope we see those soon!

Yes I did my research and listened to people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about sometimes even if they had a low post count

Over time I've had three different suspensions, three different braking setups, four different sets of wheels, lots of different bodykits parts, intakes, etc. Some as a result of learning more or learning from mistakes or bad advice, some as a result of my needs changing or wanting something better. I would be more cautious in my approach and research if I were to do something like this again.

I've made the mistake of listening to misleading info (sometimes 'common knowledge) from folks who sounded well informed and my only point here is to caution folks as you approach this brave effort to confirm your facts before you invest.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-18-07 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 08:36 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the biggest hurdle will be to safely interface boost with the stock electronics and control fuel correctly. If you can figure that one out, the sky's the limit.

Well, maybe not the sky but the transmission.

Besides, how fresh would it be to say "First S/C 6 speed IS250 daily driver." Don't get bent out of shape by folks saying just get an IS350. I commend living on the edge and trying something different. With enough perserverance and money, anything is possible.
Old 12-18-07, 08:54 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. I see were Dave may get the wrong impresion. I'm not looking to **** anyone off.
I just wanted to support a "free thinker".
Anything is possible.
If everyone on the site stopped trying things because it was out of the norm,
it wouldn't be much of a site would it?
Old 12-18-07, 09:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, the AWD transmission in the IS250 is the A760H, which is also used in the AWD 06 GS300 and the AWD 07 GS350... so it can handle 303 hp and 274 ft-lbs of torque at least (what the GS350 has).

I doubt it'd last terrible long at 400 though.
Old 12-18-07, 09:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Big *****
I agree. I see were Dave may get the wrong impresion. I'm not looking to **** anyone off.
I just wanted to support a "free thinker".
Anything is possible.
If everyone on the site stopped trying things because it was out of the norm,
it wouldn't be much of a site would it?
Nope

And no worries with pissing anyone off, just suggesting to the free thinkers that they approach the effort with the appropriate level of investigation to do it the right way first Oh, and lots of funding
Old 12-18-07, 02:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
FWIW, the AWD transmission in the IS250 is the A760H, which is also used in the AWD 06 GS300 and the AWD 07 GS350... so it can handle 303 hp and 274 ft-lbs of torque at least (what the GS350 has).

I doubt it'd last terrible long at 400 though.
I don't think HP is really what we need to talk about as far as transmissions go. Torque should be the concern.
Old 12-18-07, 02:56 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it, and when i grow the nerve to, soon i will be doing the same. If there is one thing i hate its when people say just get a 350. If you look at some of the priveous cars that people have hooked up (like the mustang GT compared to the cobra, the VW GTI compared to the VW R36 and so on) end up to be better track cars then their counterparts. And if everyone took the advice to just go out and buy a 350 instead of modifying theirs then the performance parts and aftermarket scene for our cars would disappear fast. Also we would have no diversity in our cars and nothing to talk about on this forum.

Thats just my 2 cents. (FLAME ON!!!!)