Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Forced induction GS430 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 09:26 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Forced induction GS430 questions

Folks, heres the deal. Im building a crazy GS3 right now but im getting cold feet because I picked up an 02' GS430 for my wife, and realized how much I really want an LS for myself. I have sorta liked the LS430 for a while now and I started this sick thread about the LS430's. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&goto=newpost That really put me over the edge.

With that said the GS430 4.3L is the same as the 4.3L found in the LS430
There have been a few supercharged SC430's ive seen with a modifed LMS kit. I have seen the BAMF Anderson built SC430TT with a fully built motor and standalone EMS and the BAMF stroker motor that cowboy is building for the soopras.

My question is this, and I have something similar posted on lextreme's site since there are more V8 junkies there.
How does the Drive-by-wire setup act with FI ?
Can the stock MAF calibrate enough fuel for low boost if the injectors were sized up a touch.
And regarding boost, I know the 4.3 rods and pistons are the engines weak link and the tranny is not much better.
I would like to know if there are any reported cases of people running the emanage blue or ultimate on cars with OBDII and drive by wire.

Or anything else people can give input on, other than dont do it

TIA
Old 12-11-07, 11:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're working with a VVTi 2JZ then the systems are all very similar to the V8 VVTi systems. It's a more complicated realm of tuning compared to Supras back in the day. But...yes it can be done. You should be able to buy the new rods and pistons from Lextreme but I'm not quite sure if they have availability for the 430. I know 100% they have it for the 400 though. Engine wise the GS430 and LS430 are pretty much identical.

For boost, the Toyota MAF's aren't calibrated to read far into boost. I'd say you could probably get away with a low 4-6psi or so on the stock MAF before it maxes out. You can't just size up the injectors and run boost because the factory maps aren't well suitable for boost. You need some kind of engine management system to control the increased need for fuel. If you're just going for a mild setup then I would recommend you get an AEM FIC or a eManage Ultimate. Both setups will allow you to control injectors directly. I'm not too familiar with the emanage, but I've been working quite a bit recently with the FIC with promising results. Only problem I forsee is that both units were only ever designed to handle up to 6 injectors lol. Not sure if you are outta luck here or what heh. You could go for a less reliable piggyback method such as a SAFC or something that alters fuel by skewing the MAF signal, but I'd be really iffy about trusting my engine to that thing under boost. You've probably heard it once and you'll heard it again from me. If you want something rock solid and stable then go with a standalone. Also, one last thing you can try is to use the Haltech F10X. Its a fuel only standalone so it will allow you to use factory ignition maps and you only need to tune for fuel. That way you can retain that nice factory dead on every time 100% cold start, factory idle, and spend less time tuning.

As for the drive by wire throttle, just let the factory ecu control that. You will be able to retain cruise control but traction control will most likely be out of the window. It's a tougher system to work with but it's not too difficult once you figure out how everything ties together.
Old 12-12-07, 01:32 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Jeff... what is the max whp the GS400 motor can handle safely? What options are there to strengthen the motor?
Old 12-12-07, 01:46 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPRAboy80
hey Jeff... what is the max whp the GS400 motor can handle safely? What options are there to strengthen the motor?
I'm not a GS4 expert so you'll have to ask other here on the forum. I think the upper limit is around 400-450whp or so on the stock internals...I might be wrong though. Your options to strengthen it would be to get upgraded rods and pistons for it. Lextreme sells upgraded internals for the GS4.
Old 12-12-07, 09:45 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

If I do decide to do a 3UZ I would be sourcing arias pistons and custom rods.
My current build is a non vvti 2J so im not familar with tuning those setups.
I dont know how different the honda vtec system is, and ive tuned those with standalones and piggybacks with great success.

I know the MAF wont support large injectors, but rather reffering to if I ran 6-8psi on a small upsize with a piggyback.

Can you give me some insite to how you like the AEM FIC ? I only know about the EMS.
Im not a big fan of standalones. I know there becomes a point when they are advantageous. Ive used several in the past on FI projects with limited sucess.
I understand that the aem ems works 100% perfect 60% of the time. I know a few people that have them, and had them tuned by professionals but they still have quirks. I will end up having to run the aem ems if I keep my current gs3 build because im slated to use a 4L80e chevy auto trans and want to have everything tied together and datalog etc...
Old 12-12-07, 09:28 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'm not a GS4 expert so you'll have to ask other here on the forum. I think the upper limit is around 400-450whp or so on the stock internals...I might be wrong though. Your options to strengthen it would be to get upgraded rods and pistons for it. Lextreme sells upgraded internals for the GS4.
you are right on the 400-450rwhp being border line, but another issue to take into account is the trans They start slipping in this power range.

I know Tom's Japan has s/c kit for the Celsior/LS430 go for it

Last edited by GS FONZy; 12-12-07 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 08:32 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

I know Tom's Japan has s/c kit for the Celsior/LS430 go for it
Its really too bad that the toms kit cost 11k and barely offers any increase.

When I get the car im either going to try something like this http://procharger.com/gallery/showte...ket=5&idx=1411
or a small tt with gt25's to keep the tq.
Old 12-13-07, 03:47 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twojayzee
Its really too bad that the toms kit cost 11k and barely offers any increase.

When I get the car im either going to try something like this http://procharger.com/gallery/showte...ket=5&idx=1411
or a small tt with gt25's to keep the tq.
yep, they are high in price. If you can piece something together your self, that is definitely the way to go. Try lextrme, they got all kinds of V8 goodies
Why not throw in the gte on the LS that would be a lot of fun
GL with project.
Old 12-13-07, 04:20 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

it would be so nice to have some kind of fi for us v8 guys. Just a little more umph and some noise to sweeten up the deal.
Old 12-13-07, 05:57 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
it would be so nice to have some kind of fi for us v8 guys. Just a little more umph and some noise to sweeten up the deal.
There is, but you got to pay to play besides us V8 guys already got a little umph. Well, at least I think we do after a few mods.
Old 12-13-07, 07:59 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
yep, they are high in price. If you can piece something together your self, that is definitely the way to go. Try lextrme, they got all kinds of V8 goodies
Why not throw in the gte on the LS that would be a lot of fun
GL with project.
Im going to talk to cowboy about V8 parts hes a standup guy. Hes got a crazy stroker V8tt for a supra. Theres a thread on SF about it.
Theres already a 2jz powered LS430. See the video here
http://www.trendpimp.com/media/2421/...xus_ls430.html
I want to leave the V8. I love the 3UZ ! Its got alot of potential.
Old 12-13-07, 11:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going to talk to cowboy about V8 parts hes a standup guy. Hes got a crazy stroker V8tt for a supra. Theres a thread on SF about it.
there is a guy on here with a LS and 2JZGTE....except i forget his name and cant find link to his website.
Old 12-13-07, 11:48 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

you are correct about the UZFEs having potential, but in the long run you will eat up more money on a creasting more power out of that engine compared to a GTE. I was just saying, since you already have a built gte, why not use it? However; to each there own. Check out Australia sites and other sites out of the US, they are crazy about toyota v8s, mainly the 1uzfe.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 12-13-07 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 07:39 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Cowboy PM'd me last night. Were talking about some intresting stuff. I'll update later.