Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dual VVTi 2JZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 06:17 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
You sir, are trippin. Send me a spare GTE motor if you have them just lying around lol.
+1 me too.....I'll yank this V8 right out and go with big boost too!
Old 05-16-08, 09:09 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://ttcperformance.com/shop/index...emart&Itemid=3

I found these cams for the 1UZ-FE engine, I have no idea if this site would help you with anything being that you have a 2JZ, but check it out

-Joe
Old 05-16-08, 12:29 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Hm...I'm really thinking about making one lol. I have a few extra 2JZ's sitting around, and soon I'm gonna be picking up a spare 2JZ-GTE VVTi engine. I'm thinking that it might be possible to modify the head and journals to convert the engine to have VVTi on both intake and exhaust side. Obviously this will require sacrificing one head by cutting it up to cannibalize the VVTi mechanism. Once I cut it out, I can weld it onto the other head and use the CNC machine to get everything down to spec afterwards.

As for tuning it, I have the AEM EMS which has plenty of extra output channels to control the extra VVTi solenoid.

Some of you guys might wonder why I'm going thru all this trouble. Well, if I go through with it...I'll be the only person in the world to have a Dual VVTi 2JZ engine
Obviously I'll be experimenting with all this, but my hope is to significantly boost low end torque and speed up the spool.

Plus I have a few extra engine heads sitting around so why not give it a shot...heh.

What do you guys think?
oh man, good luck with that! Personally I would go the other way and eliminate the VVTI, I think it's better to have fewer vairiables when tuning a car, keep in simple, its tried and true.
Old 05-17-08, 10:39 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hm...I'm really thinking about making one lol. I have a few extra 2JZ's sitting around, and soon I'm gonna be picking up a spare 2JZ-GTE VVTi engine. I'm thinking that it might be possible to modify the head and journals to convert the engine to have VVTi on both intake and exhaust side. Obviously this will require sacrificing one head by cutting it up to cannibalize the VVTi mechanism. Once I cut it out, I can weld it onto the other head and use the CNC machine to get everything down to spec afterwards.

As for tuning it, I have the AEM EMS which has plenty of extra output channels to control the extra VVTi solenoid.

Some of you guys might wonder why I'm going thru all this trouble. Well, if I go through with it...I'll be the only person in the world to have a Dual VVTi 2JZ engine
Obviously I'll be experimenting with all this, but my hope is to significantly boost low end torque and speed up the spool.

Plus I have a few extra engine heads sitting around so why not give it a shot...heh.

What do you guys think?
i think you're a frigging genius. If you can pull it off, and figure out a way of mass producing it as a mod, you will be able to make a ****-ton of money off of it. I doubt there's a 2jz guy in the world who wouldnt want this mod. Think about it: dual vvt-i with twin turbos, and all the bolt on stuff? the 2jz will become even more legendary for power output. there's already built 2jz's putting over 1000hp down, with only 1 vvt-i setup.
Old 05-17-08, 11:53 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Either way, I gave up on this project since nobody in the world makes an aftermarket camshaft for the VVTi motor.
Hks makes cams and a vvti controller for the 161 gte They run about $1200 plus shipping.
Old 05-18-08, 01:57 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the real question. Why do you want it? Is it really worth the trouble? I'm assuming you know how vvt-i works, so what is your reasoning for having dual vvt-i, and what would be the advantages of it?
Old 05-18-08, 06:19 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

The quickest 2JZ's are all non vvti motors, thats all Titan runs in their cars as do all the other top shops, this is why I machined my intake cam down to eliminate the VVTI, when I'm boosting 30+PSI I sure don't need that intake timing changing on me, this is why guys like Darin who is currently running 8.5 @ 160 in his daily driven 6 speed Supra chooses to run non adjustable intake cam gears, he just tunes it with the fixed stockers as the adjustables can move.
Old 05-18-08, 07:46 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adamgamz
The quickest 2JZ's are all non vvti motors, thats all Titan runs in their cars as do all the other top shops, this is why I machined my intake cam down to eliminate the VVTI, when I'm boosting 30+PSI I sure don't need that intake timing changing on me, this is why guys like Darin who is currently running 8.5 @ 160 in his daily driven 6 speed Supra chooses to run non adjustable intake cam gears, he just tunes it with the fixed stockers as the adjustables can move.
If you run an Fcon Vpro you have full control over Vvti which will give you just as much on top with more bottom end.

I understand everyone runs non-vvti motors as thats whats available here and of course whats best known, but that doesn't mean that the Vvti setup would be any slower. With proper tuning it should make substantially more power, especially on street cars.
Old 05-18-08, 09:59 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say do it. and pictures!! it is sweet to be the only guy to have a rare motor
Old 05-19-08, 05:57 AM
kit cat

You can't do that. The air would push back on the cylinder causing a serious loss in power. The cylinder deactivation systems actually open up the valves of the deactivated cylinders so there is no air being recompressed.
ohh
too bad drive by valves aren't available yet
Old 05-19-08, 07:24 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Your right, but how often are you running 30lbs of boost not at WOT? The amount of camshaft variation would be minimal compared at WOT compared to city or light highway driving when variation would be constantly varying due to loads, throttle position, etc. Dual VVT-i would def have an advantage on the already almighty JZ, but does the reward out weigh the research and development...
Old 05-19-08, 08:38 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

I understand but what if you're running even 20psi and that intake cam gear fails or just advances too much? I wouldn't want to take the risk of that adjustable cam gear moving on me, it wasn't designed to adjust under increased HP.. Same reason why guys like Darin run stock cam gears over adjustable ones, it's not worth the risk of taking a chance and having that thing move under boost.