Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Greddy or Tanabe?
Greddy
32.14%
Tanabe
67.86%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Greddy or Tanabe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 10:25 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've heard both and I don't think either sounds like a 350Z/G35! Both are deeper at low RPM. I would say that both are fairly quiet like the Z/G but have a different tone/frequency. Both are of great quality but the Tanabe is just too quiet.

Koz
Old 04-15-08, 10:16 PM
thisisj0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

koz at higher rpms does the greddy squeell at all or pop kind of like the hks hi power does?
Old 04-16-08, 05:29 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by thisisj0
koz at higher rpms does the greddy squeell at all or pop kind of like the hks hi power does?
No squealing, popping or drone. It is just a little louder then the Tanabe. I think it is the loudest exhaust without any annoying side affects. The tips really grow on you and now all others look like they don't look (fit) right. The muffler's shape (polished oval), has a nice look from the rear. After several months I'm still very happy with the system.

Ko
Old 05-07-08, 12:30 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
i decided on the tanabe because 1) i didnt want a loud exhaust 2) i loved the way a 350Z/G35 factory exhaust note sounded. so i chose tanabe after weeks of research. cant be any happier. it took several months for my exhaust to break in FULLY.(mainly because i dont drive around much) it sounds similar to 350Z/g35 but a little more agressive. plus the tips fill in the exhaust outlets nice.
That's one of the answer's I was looking for. I love the sound of the G35s/350Zs and if Tanabe can almost duplicate that, then I'm set on it. I don't mind it being deeper because that must makes it sound more aggressive.

What's the diameter of the stock exhaust pipes anways? Have any of you ever thought about just getting the Tanabe and cut off the flange part and have it welded to an upgraded midpipe? The local Speedway Muffler can do it fairly cheap because they love to cut and weld, lol. Everything to them is a solid one piece. I'm sure it will sound even better that way.
Old 05-07-08, 06:10 AM
Koz

There is a reason why the rear section has a spring loaded flange (attachment type). That's so the system has some flex that can help eliminate vibration/droning, plus it makes it easier to replace parts. I would try to keep the flange.

The Greddy exhaust has bigger diameter tubing. Neither Greddy nor Tanabe sound like the G35/350Z. They sound like each other (with the Greddy a little louder) but different from the G35/350Z.

You need to hear both in person and I'll bet you will like the Greddy better. Conducting a poll is just asking which is more popular. The Tanabe was one of the first to hit the market and they sold more. So a poll is not going to do much. Listen to both and decide.

Koz
Old 05-07-08, 07:14 AM
Meg
Driver School Candidate

Default tanabe

tanabe sounds a lot cleaner... greedy is more basey.. i would say, (not that you care what i think) if its a IS 250 go with tanabe, if its a IS350 go with greedy or hks. 350's are more powerful so they can afford to be louder and sound meaner.. 250's should sound like 250's not like 350's cause then you have a whole lot of noise coming out of something thats not as fast as it sounds... thats just me though..
Old 05-07-08, 07:16 AM
Meg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
I've heard both and I don't think either sounds like a 350Z/G35! Both are deeper at low RPM. I would say that both are fairly quiet like the Z/G but have a different tone/frequency. Both are of great quality but the Tanabe is just too quiet.

Koz

you arent going to get the car to sound like a g35 or a 350z with just an exhaust system..
Old 05-07-08, 08:22 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Meg
you arent going to get the car to sound like a g35 or a 350z with just an exhaust system..
very true...the reality is that much of the sound comes from the engine and/or other parts of teh exhaust system...cats, headers

example: dispite the fact that a gallardo has a similar displacement to a M5 the M5 will never sound like the lambo but the Audi S6 with the 5.2L V10 (0.2L bigger than the lambo) sounds very similar right out of the box...why? b/c parent company VW uses similar parts in the construction of both engines.

now for z/g35 vs IS...Lexus and nissan use completely different parts dispite the similar displacement. if you want your IS to sound like a z/g go buy a z/g or replace the motor and entire exhaust system.
Old 05-07-08, 08:38 AM
Meg
Driver School Candidate

agreed, or if you are really set on having a car that sounds like a g35 or 350z i suggest you buy one. It might be cheaper, and you could have the sound that you are seeking. I dont know that you would ever fully appreciate the sound you get from a lexus (in terms of sounding like a g35 or 350z). fact being it isnt either of those cars its, a lexus..
Old 05-07-08, 11:30 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

The G35 has a unique sound all on it's own and I think it's pretty hard to duplicate the exact sound anyways. From what I've seen on Youtube, the Tanabe sound is very smooth, no roughness to it like the G35 tone. Deep at the same time.
Old 05-08-08, 06:47 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Meg
tanabe sounds a lot cleaner... greedy is more basey.. i would say, (not that you care what i think) if its a IS 250 go with tanabe, if its a IS350 go with greedy or hks. 350's are more powerful so they can afford to be louder and sound meaner.. 250's should sound like 250's not like 350's cause then you have a whole lot of noise coming out of something thats not as fast as it sounds... thats just me though..
I do not agree, there is not that big of a difference between the Tanabe and Greddy. The Greddy is SLIGHTY deeper at low RPMs. It is hard to hear the difference. I'm curious to know what "Cleaner" means. The HKS doesn't sound anything like the Greddy or Tanabe. The HKS gets raspy at higher RPMs, where the Greddy/Tanabe keeps a nice low purr.

Koz
Old 05-08-08, 09:31 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Now you're making want the Greddy...I have never given any thought to Greddy because the most talked about exhaust on here are the Tanabe and HKS. I'll have to look into that now.
Old 05-09-08, 09:39 AM
KpXMystic
Lead Lap

Im installing a greddy this week.. but befoire im still searching prices.. any suggestions where i should get quotes from? so far i got 680 installed.
Old 05-09-08, 12:17 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KpXMystic
Im installing a greddy this week.. but befoire im still searching prices.. any suggestions where i should get quotes from? so far i got 680 installed.
that's a good price I guess
Old 05-09-08, 04:54 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

please don't buy Tanabe or Greddy expecting to get the G35/350Z exhaust
sound..cuz you will never get it!

i currently have Tanabe with Injen Intake
and I used to own G35 6MT with Injen Intake..
and my current IS does not sound anything like my old G35!

like some member said..Tanabe sounds smoother..
whereas G35 sounds more aggressive!

Quick Reply: Greddy or Tanabe??