Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS 400 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 07:56 PM
suprahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 400 exhaust

whats the largest pipe diameter but also quiet for the GS 400... prefer Japanese manufacturer.. want it to sound like the Infiniti or the 350z

Kahlee
Old 12-28-07, 08:53 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, you're comparing 2 completely different platforms
my suggestion, check the exhaust sound clips. most are from the 8 bangers
Old 12-29-07, 03:46 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Borla mufflers, close to the G sound
Old 12-29-07, 05:57 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does everyone like the nissan wanna bes? I do not get it. Do they even make a V8 that they put in the G35 or the Z infinity?

Folks wanna use their rims and exhaust.

Are they using our rims on their cars?

BP
Old 12-29-07, 09:05 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IMNHO I think the G35/350Z exhaust sound is cheesy and annoying, it sounds like a go cart...also I might add that I have read that people think they sound like Ferraris; they do not! If you have ever been in or stood next to a reving Ferrari it is MUCH different than a G35 exhaust - night and day. A Lexus with proper exhaust work will sound better than the two above mentioned cars (G35 & 350Z) any day! GL!
Old 12-29-07, 09:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's going to be hard to make a V8 sound like a V6.

Dont need to know my opinion on those 350z/g35 exhaust notes...other than I hate them
Old 12-29-07, 09:44 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I think the G and Z sounds like Ferrari, but a Hollowed out and gutless Ferrari... and quiet too... My home in Vancouver is a townhouse and 1 guy that owns a 430, Elise, GT3 RS, old 993ish 911 and more, when he leaves, we all know, especially as he likes to floor it on the street on the front road after he rumbled on the out on the drive way in the back.
Old 12-29-07, 03:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the 1uz responds best to a dual 2.25in. exhaust setup, anything larger results in loss of low-end torque and is kinda useless unless you plan on going FI.

im running 2.25 in my LS
Old 12-29-07, 10:07 PM
suprahtt
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the 1uz responds best to a dual 2.25in. exhaust setup, anything larger results in loss of low-end torque and is kinda useless unless you plan on going FI.

im running 2.25 in my LS
Thank you sir... the reason I want a larger diameter cuz i want to go with the GTE swap and at the same time make it quiet enough not to be annoying on them longer hauls...

FX45 is a V8 fellas and it sounds sweet. If I wanted opinions on how the infiniti sounds then the title would have been different... Thanks to some of you that replied with somewhat of what I wanted to see...
Old 12-30-07, 08:53 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

im running 2.25 in my LS
Thanks for that input PureDrifter...I take it that your speaking from experience; right? Also, what size pipes is a GS400 running in stock form? I'd like to know what I got in there before I think of swapping it out. I have the Borla rear section. Are you talking about changing the mid-pipes? If so, I was thinking of getting a custom 'X' pipe added and then change out these mid-pipes to your suggested 2.25" diameter. Should I think about doing anything with the cats?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 12-30-07, 09:50 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

You can do quiet... CarsonTuned or Borla. As mentioned, the stock 60mm piping size will be quiet. Anything more will be louder. Once you do the swap (and I'm assuming you're gonna be running a high HP application), the 60mm may be too restrictive, so in that case 70 or 80mm may be desirable. To control sound with bigger piping though, you may look into adding a center resonator or two to help kill some sound in addition to whatever rear section mufflers you have. Also, consider the JIC Spartan DE Type 2 exhaust. The Type 2 has 76mm piping and a very classy oval muffler, but more importantly I've read on WRX and Nissan forums that it has an AMAZING ability to kill sound. The Type 2 is much, much quieter than the Type 1 which is pretty much a no-holds-barred N1 system.

What is your definition of sound like? You can get something similar in dB level to the nissan, but the tone and sound you won't. V8's and V6's have completely different architectures. Even comparing a Toyota 2GR-FSE and Nissan VQ35DE, the sound will never be the same. The Nissan's have that hollowed-out/bee sound characteristic mostly because of the motor design, not the exhaust!!!! Once you get anything that makes the 1UZ-FE breath significantly more, it is going to start sounding closer to muscle cars (more refined though) than anything else. After you have the 2JZ swap, your car won't sound AS deep as the V8 of course, but it will always be much more deep and full than the Nissan VQ's sound.

Since you like the sound of the FX45, that means you have obviously heard it and know that while it has a great-sounding exhaust note, it too is not even close to the FX35's.

Considering your end goal is a 2JZ-GTE swap, research our IS300 forums as well as www.my.is as they will have much more information on you on how to run a quiet exhaust on high-powered turbo applications.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 12-30-07, 08:28 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ +1. That and the firing order.
Old 12-30-07, 10:08 PM
suprahtt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
You can do quiet... CarsonTuned or Borla. As mentioned, the stock 60mm piping size will be quiet. Anything more will be louder. Once you do the swap (and I'm assuming you're gonna be running a high HP application), the 60mm may be too restrictive, so in that case 70 or 80mm may be desirable. To control sound with bigger piping though, you may look into adding a center resonator or two to help kill some sound in addition to whatever rear section mufflers you have. Also, consider the JIC Spartan DE Type 2 exhaust. The Type 2 has 76mm piping and a very classy oval muffler, but more importantly I've read on WRX and Nissan forums that it has an AMAZING ability to kill sound. The Type 2 is much, much quieter than the Type 1 which is pretty much a no-holds-barred N1 system.

What is your definition of sound like? You can get something similar in dB level to the nissan, but the tone and sound you won't. V8's and V6's have completely different architectures. Even comparing a Toyota 2GR-FSE and Nissan VQ35DE, the sound will never be the same. The Nissan's have that hollowed-out/bee sound characteristic mostly because of the motor design, not the exhaust!!!! Once you get anything that makes the 1UZ-FE breath significantly more, it is going to start sounding closer to muscle cars (more refined though) than anything else. After you have the 2JZ swap, your car won't sound AS deep as the V8 of course, but it will always be much more deep and full than the Nissan VQ's sound.

Since you like the sound of the FX45, that means you have obviously heard it and know that while it has a great-sounding exhaust note, it too is not even close to the FX35's.

Considering your end goal is a 2JZ-GTE swap, research our IS300 forums as well as www.my.is as they will have much more information on you on how to run a quiet exhaust on high-powered turbo applications.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Thank you... Looking at the IS with GTE usually have a single exhaust... I believe doing a dual exhaust will help keep the car quiet plust the turbos act as a muffler also... the resonators will def be kept in-line to also help keep the car quiet.. right now Im debating if i should buy a JDM swap or use one of my spare motors which is stroked to 3.4... things should start happening when it gets a little warmer and Ill have pics for you fellas to see...

Kahlee